PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize the maker's (?) mark on this scorp?

Mike Manning
01-11-2022, 12:47 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up some hand tools. I don't have in person access just a few pics. There's an interesting and what looks to be a well made scorp. Does anyone recognize the mark stamped on it? I need to figure out what I'm interested in and then we can start talking price. Thanks for any insight. Turning the pic right side up reveals it to be a stag.

Mike Manning
01-11-2022, 12:59 PM
Early Buck Bros?

John Keeton
01-11-2022, 6:55 PM
Perhaps Hirsch. They have a stag in their logo and the curvature of the scorp looks like theirs.

Mike Manning
01-11-2022, 11:16 PM
John,
That's a very similar logo by Hirsch. I asked about this marker's mark on a couple of other websites I frequent. Someone identified another scorp with a mark close to mine except the circle of dots was a circular line on that scorp. But it was clearly marked "FWB" over the back of the stag. Searching for "FWB" produced a short article by a Peter Follansbee talking about his German hewing hatchets. He mentions one German hatchet his partner likes and it is an FWB with an almost identical logo. Here's what he wrote about it and a pic of that logo...

"So all of these are oldies; but not too long ago there were excellent German hatchets still being sold in the US. Alexander bought this one at Woodcraft back in the late 1970s, early 80s. I had one too, but gave mine to an apprentice c. 1990. I haven’t been able to find out who made this one, it’s marked FWB with a stag on it. It weighs 2 lbs, 8 oz and its cutting edge is about 5 ¼” – it’s an excellent hatchet."

Then searching for "FWB stag" produced another scorp and then a draw knife with the exact logo on Worthpoint. The scorp listed on Worthpoint was listed as "F.W.B. Fabrik Zeieher scorp Made in Germany". Here's the logo from the drawknife. Here's that logo...

I wonder if "FWB" is a generic term in German or if these tools are some how related to Hirsch. Certainly, a very similar mark.

Mike Manning
01-11-2022, 11:42 PM
Provided by another...

FWB = Friedrich Wilhelm Busch
https://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/hirsch.phtml

Jim Koepke
01-12-2022, 11:23 AM
Provided by another...

FWB = Friedrich Wilhelm Busch
https://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/hirsch.phtml

This looks like the answer:

jtk

John Keeton
01-12-2022, 1:43 PM
Jim and I agree, and apparently Mike does, as well. All the same folks - Hirsch, Two Cherries, etc.