PDA

View Full Version : Denatured Alcohol Method

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2006, 9:22 PM
I ask the question about how long to soak a roughed bowl in DNA but forgot to ask do you wrap them in like a paper bag or wrap it leaving the center of the bowl open with like a grocery sack? Or do you just put the bowl on a rack without being wrapped? Thanks.

Travis Stinson
01-16-2006, 9:51 PM
Bernie, wrap it and tape it over the rim. Leave the inside exposed.;)
Here's Dave Smith's article on the alky method. http://www.woodnheart.com/webpage/shoptips.html

Dennis Peacock
01-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Bernie,

I wrap mine with 2 sheets of newspaper.

1. Place the bowl on top of the newspaper, top side down.

2. Wrap up towards the bottom of the bowl and tape in place with masking tape.

3. If the paper doesn't reach all the way, no problem, just grab some more
paper and patch up the places where the bowl is still exposed.

4. Turn the bowl over and take a good sharp knife and cut out the hole in the paper by leaving about 1/2" away from the inside rim of the bowl.

5. Place on a rack to dry with the open part of the bowl facing toward the floor.

Let sit and dry for about 2 - 3 weeks and then finish turn.

At least that's the way I do it now and it works very nicely.:D

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I will let it soak overnight and wrap it up tomorrow. I won't be able to turn it to final size for at least a couple of weeks so that will work out good.

Andy Hoyt
01-21-2006, 1:01 PM
Hey guys. Quick question on this method.

Do you reccommend covering or sealing the container while the piece is getting boozed up? Airtight or loose?

And what about when not in use? Does the stuff evaporate.

Chemistry is not my forte.

Doug Jones
01-21-2006, 1:19 PM
Hey guys. Quick question on this method.

Do you reccommend covering or sealing the container while the piece is getting boozed up? Airtight or loose?

And what about when not in use? Does the stuff evaporate.

Chemistry is not my forte.
An air tight cover is best,
when not soaking just refit the air tight cover.
It will evaporate rather quickly if not covered to some degree
A five gl. bucket with a fitted lid does most my stuff. But I am in need of a bigger container.

3. If the paper doesn't reach all the way, no problem, just grab some more
paper and patch up the places where the bowl is still exposed.

Dennis, you been looking at my bowl wrapping experience.

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2006, 1:25 PM
Hey Andy I use a Rubbermaid bowl with a tight fitting lid for now. SWMBO put me onto the idea. It works great for what I need and the one I have will hold a 12" X 5" deep bowl. Since my lathe has a 10" swing that is all the bigger I need for now. I also use denatured alcohol when I clean clocks. I use a water based cleaner, rinse twice with water and then into the alcohol rinse to get rid of all the moisture on the parts and movement. Keep it covered or it will evaporate on you.

By the way the two bowls I soaked in alcohol so far have not cracked after 4 days.

Jim Dunn
01-21-2006, 1:26 PM
Andy I thought chemistry was your speciality. All those longish answers and the munchies and all. Pineing away for a large enough bowl for icecream.

Andy Hoyt
01-21-2006, 1:34 PM
Thanks, guys. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. Gonna start the process as soon as I get off my lazy rear end.

Jim - Ice Cream is Health Food - Mental Health Food, that is.

Andy I thought chemistry was your speciality. All those longish answers and the munchies and all. Pineing away for a large enough bowl for icecream.