PDA

View Full Version : A3 31 Feed Issue

Kevin Gagne
01-09-2022, 12:21 AM
I have had my machine for a year and it has worked great. I currently have a project that I am using Jatoba and having an issue when I thickness the boards. It is not feeding through smoothly. I have to push it going in and pull it a little at the outfeed. I put in a 12” piece of cherry and it went through with no problems so it seems to have something to do with the hardness of the wood. I have tried only taking .01” off and it does the same thing. Any ideas what is causing this issue? Here is is video to show what the issue looks like. https://youtube.com/shorts/OBzNp7s2e1k?feature=share

Mark Carlson
01-09-2022, 7:20 AM
A few simple things to try. I'd wax the bed first, then clean the rollers. I try to wax my bed before each major planing session. Its so so important.

Mick Simon
01-09-2022, 8:42 AM
Yep, simple as it sounds, wax the table.

Dan Friedrichs
01-09-2022, 9:05 AM
Wax the table. For whatever reason, it needs it way more frequently than you may expect.

Eric Shimp
01-09-2022, 9:12 AM
Hi Kevin

I use Felder Super Glide on mine. You can purchase it directly from the Felder e-shop website.

Robyn Horton
01-09-2022, 9:40 AM
Yes I agree with Waxing the Table but make sure that you wax with a Non Silicone Wax. I use Butchers Bowling Alley Wax.

ChrisA Edwards
01-09-2022, 9:48 AM
I wax mine, but when I see boards start to struggle to feed, a quick spay of super glide and it's good for the next 30 or so boards.

I bought one bottle, 3 years ago, and it's still 3/4's full.

Erik Loza
01-09-2022, 10:41 AM
+3… A good waxing solves most every jointer/planer feed issue.

Erik

Paul F Franklin
01-09-2022, 11:31 AM
Also, check the drive belt tension, assuming the A3 31 using belts to drive the cutterhead and drive rollers. The belts on my J/P stretched enough after a year or so to cause the same symptoms.

Rod Sheridan
01-09-2022, 2:59 PM
Also, check the drive belt tension, assuming the A3 31 using belts to drive the cutterhead and drive rollers. The belts on my J/P stretched enough after a year or so to cause the same symptoms.

Hi, it’s table lubrication, almost guaranteed.

I previously used paste wax, now I use Felder Silber Gleit…….Regards, Rod

Matthew Hills
01-09-2022, 3:06 PM
I previously used paste wax, now I use Felder Silber Gleit…….Regards, Rod

Does that have any protective qualities, or just low friction?
(I'm in an area that isn't too bad for rust, but I do refresh the paste wax after any significant use to keep the tops in good condition)

Matt

Kevin Gagne
01-09-2022, 4:40 PM
Thanks everyone. Put the FELDER Metalall Protect on it and back in business now. That was a simple fix. Now need to go back and reduce the spring pressure on the rollers since I am getting some snipe. I should have checked here first before adjusting everything. Haha

Rod Sheridan
01-10-2022, 4:39 PM
Does that have any protective qualities, or just low friction?
(I'm in an area that isn't too bad for rust, but I do refresh the paste wax after any significant use to keep the tops in good condition)

Matt

Yes it also provides rust protection, unless you live in an extremely damp location.

The 1Kg can lasts a very long time……Regards, Rod

Mel Fulks
01-10-2022, 4:49 PM
Taking off too small a bit leaves too little pressure to propel the board.

Prashun Patel
01-10-2022, 4:59 PM
I haven't heard anyone suggest this, but I think you might need to wax the tables ;)

Mike Wilkins
01-10-2022, 10:27 PM
Jointer/planer machines without bed rollers are sensitive to bed slipperiness (is that a word). Clean and wax the bed and you should be good to go.

Zachary Hoyt
01-10-2022, 10:31 PM
This time of year it's easy to find out if slipperiness is a word, just go outside on the ice and test it.

Rod Sheridan
01-12-2022, 9:46 AM
This time of year it's easy to find out if slipperiness is a word, just go outside on the ice and test it.

Did that, didn’t enjoy it…..Rod

Tom Bender
01-13-2022, 6:44 AM
May need to clean the feed rollers (don't wax them). They can get slick and chips can get embedded in them. Be careful not to slice your fingers. Crocus cloth on a block of wood works well