PDA

View Full Version : 1) What 4" T-Square and Rulers to get? 2) Powermatic Spiral head Upgrade in 3 weeks!

Patrick Irish
01-07-2022, 11:37 AM
First question:

What good 4" T-square is worth getting? Woodpeckers are expensive but I know they are an option. My tape measures aren't cutting it and sometimes can't get into the location I want them in. I've seen guys using small T-squares and rulers and looking for brands to check out.

Second:

After debating selling my Powermatic 16" Planer and buying a 20" spiral, I've decided to upgrade it with a Byrd head. My Powermatic is heavy and has a variable 15-37 fpm feed rate. Aside from spending big $$$, there wasn't a 20" spiral planer under $5k that was heavy and didn't have only have two fixed feed rates. Also, more wold have been out of my pocket for a new machine than upgrading mine. So in 3 weeks, the new spiral head arrives. I've watched two youtubes on how to remove the head, it's gonna be a job and time consuming but looks fun.

Kevin Jenness
01-07-2022, 1:28 PM
When I got my 160 I relaced the cutterhead bearings. It was pretty straightforward as I recall.

$1,600 and an afternoon seems like a reasonable investment in a solid machine. I'm pretty happy with the onboard grinder and a 10* face bevel but touchups do take some time. Reading this thread made me a little more skeptical of Byrd heads but there seem to be many happy users. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?295599-Helical-cutterhead-difficulties Did you price a Hermance head?

Some have reported greater power demand and thus less possible depth of cut with spiral heads. I would be interested to know if you find that to be the case.

Mark e Kessler
01-07-2022, 1:54 PM
be sure to get a quote for a Hermance head way better but will be more money.

First question:

What good 4" T-square is worth getting? Woodpeckers are expensive but I know they are an option. My tape measures aren't cutting it and sometimes can't get into the location I want them in. I've seen guys using small T-squares and rulers and looking for brands to check out.

Second:

After debating selling my Powermatic 16" Planer and buying a 20" spiral, I've decided to upgrade it with a Byrd head. My Powermatic is heavy and has a variable 15-37 fpm feed rate. Aside from spending big $$$, there wasn't a 20" spiral planer under $5k that was heavy and didn't have only have two fixed feed rates. Also, more wold have been out of my pocket for a new machine than upgrading mine. So in 3 weeks, the new spiral head arrives. I've watched two youtubes on how to remove the head, it's gonna be a job and time consuming but looks fun.

Rich Engelhardt
01-07-2022, 1:59 PM
Starrett.

Woodpeckers is great also.

Brian Tymchak
01-07-2022, 2:13 PM
First question:

I use a couple of starrett 4" double squares (https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-13A-Double-Square-hardened/dp/B0002FUM2Y/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=CjwKCAiA5t-OBhByEiwAhR-hm8HKOkM6LbE6fHBLnoYbYt-Ai7ApTBpxjdRE0LaUF8w7TF1n1_qFYxoCVG8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=177776619534&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9014986&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10793520720971145764&hvtargid=kwd-54613598951&hydadcr=1646_9901547&keywords=starrett+4+inch+double+square&qid=1641582241&sr=8-1) all the time for layout. But I see they've doubled in price since I bought mine. Lee Valley has their brand of 4" squares and I would be inclined to go with those if buying new.

Alan Lightstone
01-07-2022, 2:39 PM
I rely on the Woodpeckers ones. Multiple sizes.

Lisa Starr
01-07-2022, 2:40 PM
Not a square, but I use a Starrett 4" and 6" scale for measuring all the time. If you google "C604E-4" you'll see the 4" version.

Phillip Mitchell
01-07-2022, 2:45 PM
I use the Veritas precision square probably more than anything but also have Starrett combination and engineers squares, as well as many other quality brands and types of squares. The small precision square is a 3”x6” L shape, like a mini framing square and has 16ths on one edge and 32nds on the other. In addition to checking thing for square, I often use it as you would a 6” rule and often use it for machine setups. I have 2 of the small ones and wouldn’t mind having 2 of the large ones.

Kevin Jenness
01-07-2022, 3:00 PM
Are you talking about perforated t squares like this for marking? https://www.woodpeck.com/woodpeckers-pocket-t-squares.html#:~:text=Grouped%20product%20items%20% 20%20%20Product%20Name,%20%20%2416.99%20%205%20mor e%20rows%20
Incra makes something similar. https://www.rockler.com/incra-precision-t-rules?country=US&sid=V91041&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=PL&tid=pla&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(NX)_Shopping_-_Margin_B&msclkid=2f8f9671ee1d115e86f9f7a977d1367d

I mainly use a 6" rule with end grads and 6" and 12" adjustable squares from Starrett and Mitutoyo. I have a double square but without the beveled head it is easy to get reversed on measurements close to the center.

Brian Burns VT
01-07-2022, 4:02 PM
Agreed on 6" Starrett rule with end graduations. Very handy for everything and end grads are nice for table saw, shaper and router set ups. Also use a Starrett combo squares (12" and 4") and woodpecker 2616 framing square. It's really worth it to have squares that are actually square and those all fit the bill for me

Mike Walsh
01-07-2022, 4:14 PM
another vote for (anything) Starrett, the quality of their products and customer service are outstanding. I also much prefer the satin finish on the rulers as they're much easier to read

Doug Colombo
01-07-2022, 7:21 PM
Another vote for Woodpeckers. Great tools !

Rod Wolfy
01-07-2022, 8:23 PM
I've had a few Starrett's for 20 years. Can't go wrong with them. Pass them on to grandkids, if you want. With that in mind, an old Starrett is as good as a new one, so if you can locate one. I have the Lee Valley 4", too. I like it. I have a Woodpeckers 12" 1281 One Time, but it's too big and cumbersome vs. the Starrett 12". I actually use my Starrett 6" the most. I notched one end of it in the middle for my pencil with a tiny file cut, so I can pull a line.

MARTA TORRES-QUINONES
01-08-2022, 3:39 AM
PEC tools. They are pretty good and moderately priced. They are made in the USA by Products Engineering Corporation (PEC Tools) if that is of import. I get them at Harry Epstein or Taytools. If you do not mind, you can buy blemished as well (I put additional blemishes on mine so I don't mind). I like their rules too.

Bill Dufour
01-08-2022, 8:11 AM
I did not know anyone made a four inch tee square. Do you mean a four foot tee square? From the responses people seem to think you mean a try square or adjustable square.
Bill D

Mark e Kessler
01-08-2022, 9:15 AM
Starrett, 4”,6”, 12” combination, also have a 24” rule for the 12” combo along with multiple 6” rules of various configurations a few of them hooks which i use a lot. I have had the 6” and the 12” for almost 30 years of ww, the 6” has been used so much that I wore the seat to the point that it is out of square so i need to make an adjustment. The Mitutoyo’s are pretty much equal but I would buy a Starrett unless there was a good deal on a Mitutoyo.

I have tried PEC combo’s, there rules may be fine but the combos are junk, after you have used a Starrett, the machining is unrefined and most annoying is the lock down nut isn’t keyed so if you take the rule out getting it back in is a pain

For whatever reason i don’t really like to use fixed blade squares, I do have a few though. I have a One of the original Bridge City 6” the brass with Rose wood bought around 92’, an inexpensive but fairly precise machinist square for machine setup and a St J tool square from 1874 still pretty square considering it’s age.

Brian Tymchak
01-08-2022, 9:40 AM
I have tried PEC combo’s, there rules may be fine but the combos are junk, after you have used a Starrett, the machining is unrefined and most annoying is the lock down nut isn’t keyed so if you take the rule out getting it back in is a pain

I found the same issues with IGaging double squares. Bought 3 a while back for like $10 a piece. Tried for a few hours to get any 1 of them to move smoothly and gave up. One of these days when I purge the shop of unused tools, they'll be in that bin.

Frederick Skelly
01-08-2022, 7:01 PM
PEC tools. They are pretty good and moderately priced. They are made in the USA by Products Engineering Corporation (PEC Tools) if that is of import. I get them at Harry Epstein or Taytools. If you do not mind, you can buy blemished as well (I put additional blemishes on mine so I don't mind). I like their rules too.

Of course, if you can afford Starrett, they're pretty much the gold standard IMO. But I usually cannot. So I agree with Marta. I buy PEC double squares from Harry Epstein. And for rules, I REALLY like this set from Lee Valley. LINK (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/marking-and-measuring/rules/72020-utilitas-hook-rules?item=15N0410)

Patrick Irish
01-09-2022, 2:45 PM
The PEC double square looks promising. The cost of Starret or Woodpeckers are too high for me to justify.

Lee Valley and Amazon have good reviewed pocket rules. I think they will be handy in spots where a tape measure is not.

Greg Quenneville
01-10-2022, 5:53 AM
I really like Starrett, but also look for used Lufkin tools. I think that they were Starrett’s equal back in the day.