PDA

View Full Version : jet bandsaw damaged again during shipment

Travis Conner
01-07-2022, 11:14 AM
The first time it had busted through the pallet, so the legs were bent up, they sent me a new one and upon initial inspection I only found a plastic adjustment knob broken, so I was okay with that. Then after the driver left I realized the fan shroud had a pretty big dent making the fan not spin and the fan itself is also bent. At first I told the shipper I was just going to load it into my truck and bring it back to the terminal, so I didn't have to wait for another truck to bring me another saw and have to wait all day. They just randomly show up, they don't tell you when they're coming. The saw is about $2k so it looks like I can just buy a new shroud and plastic fan blade for about $80 and it should be okay. I just think it's ridiculous they can't crate the thing properly. This one broke through the pallet too, but appears to be okay.

opinions? This is the third freight truck now that's shown up at my house and i'm afraid the neighbors are gonna start complaining. The shipping company has gotten my address wrong each time too, so I had to call and have it corrected, which also delays the shipment each time. Hopefully they can credit me money for the saw and i'll just order the fan shroud and fan to fix it myself instead of bringing it back to the shipping terminal. I would have helped if I noticed the damage before the driver left each time because I would have just loaded it back on the truck.

Tom M King
01-07-2022, 11:25 AM
I would worry that the shaft could be bent, and would want the seller to send a new motor. They can have the old one back. If you can run the motor with the bent fan off, and there is no runout, it should be okay.

Paul Haus
01-07-2022, 1:55 PM
I hear your pain on getting a damaged machine, been there; done that multiple times. I agree that shipping containers can be crap but I've also had machines come in with holes from fork lifts puncturing the carton.

Brian Tymchak
01-07-2022, 2:23 PM
The saw is about $2k so it looks like I can just buy a new shroud and plastic fan blade for about $80 and it should be okay.

Buy? Ask Jet to ship those parts to you under warranty. Most machine suppliers are willing to ship parts and let you fix rather than handle returns.

Brian Runau
01-07-2022, 6:30 PM
I am of the opinion it saves the supplier money and puts the problem on their customers, it costs less, on an accounting basis, to do it this way vs doing it better in the 1st place. I think it costs companies more money not to do it right, but you can't quantify that, don't know what you don't know.

Travis Conner
01-07-2022, 7:26 PM
This isn't really a warranty thing. Honestly this is jets fault. The distributor just sells the product the way it's received from the factory. I didn't have any luck with the distributor today. They just said they'll send me another saw. A third saw. LMAO. Apparantly JPW has been hit by some huge snow storm and they haven't been in the office the last few days. I've had good luck with them sending out parts no questions asked. Although they don't typically send the right part. It takes a few tries. They stuck it on a really thin pallet that's just big enough to fit the saw. Then they make a frame also out of thin 1x3'' wood that's really like 3/8" thick by 2.5" wide and they nail that together, then they put a box over with a JET logo. The hydraulic ram also seems to be leaking. I almost wonder if it fell over.

Travis Conner
01-07-2022, 7:38 PM
I hear your pain on getting a damaged machine, been there; done that multiple times. I agree that shipping containers can be crap but I've also had machines come in with holes from fork lifts puncturing the carton.

I'm going to start having the items held at the local terminal instead. That way I can look it over good and have them unload it if I find something screwed up. As soon as the truck driver drives off you're sol. That's great that they'll send me another saw, but keep in mind that means they are going to send another carrier to pickup the damaged saw, then they'll ship the new one as soon as they get word the old one is on the truck. So that's two more times I have to wait for a freight carrier to show up at the house. There little under 26,000 pound moving style box truck barely clears the power line to my drive, so i'm worried they'll send a regular semi and knock the line down one of these times. lol

Travis Conner
01-07-2022, 7:53 PM
The question is how many saws are they going to continue to send me?

Brian Runau
01-07-2022, 8:16 PM
The question is how many saws are they going to continue to send me?

You were saying you would spend $80 to fix it, how many others do this.....

Travis Conner
01-07-2022, 8:35 PM
You were saying you would spend $80 to fix it, how many others do this.....

I'm hoping jet will just send me the parts I need and that will be the end of it. If not i'll just pony up the $80 and move on with life. My time is valuable and apparantly with the current conditions, the shipping world is a shambles right now. There is no guarantee the next saw will be any better. Atleast this one has legs that are straight. I was just wondering how many saws they would actually send if I kept going along with this dog and pony show.

Brian Runau
01-07-2022, 10:30 PM
I'm hoping jet will just send me the parts I need and that will be the end of it. If not i'll just pony up the $80 and move on with life. My time is valuable and apparantly with the current conditions, the shipping world is a shambles right now. There is no guarantee the next saw will be any better. Atleast this one has legs that are straight. I was just wondering how many saws they would actually send if I kept going along with this dog and pony show.

Travis, I agree. What I am saying is you, like many others, go this route which is less expensive overall for them. Brian

Erik Loza
01-08-2022, 10:09 AM
I'm going to start having the items held at the local terminal instead…

Whenever possible, I suggest this ^^^

Not defending Jet but the damage is not their fault. We are all struggling with more freight damage than ever, these days. All the LTL carriers are under-staffed, over-worked, and much new/inexperienced labor. We (consumers) just happen to be at the unfortunate end of that chain. In our experience, the damage is occurring between the local terminal and the customer’s address. Machines not strapped into box truck properly, etc. Whatever the cost and hassle involved with bringing a trailer to the local freight dock, it’s worth it. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Erik

Chris Sonego
01-08-2022, 4:34 PM
I'm STILL waiting for my Grizzly table saw to be picked up. It's supposed to finally happen Monday. For now, it's boxed back up on its pallet in the middle of my garage in my way. Once picked up, they'll refund me so I can turn around and re-order. The tough part is even if I upped my already stretched budget to try something different, there's no options here in SWFL. No matter what, I'm at the mercy of freighting. I'm going to stick with the Grizzly because I think it's the best new saw in that price range.

Tom Bender
01-09-2022, 4:39 PM
Wondering what will happen to the returned saws.

Travis Conner
01-09-2022, 7:37 PM
I believe they typically get fixed sold as refurbished.

Travis Conner
01-09-2022, 7:38 PM
So I got this saw off the pallet and found out its missing some parts too. How retarded.

Travis Conner
01-09-2022, 7:39 PM
Why you cant you just buy already assembled items from the store?

Travis Conner
01-09-2022, 10:19 PM
Whenever possible, I suggest this ^^^

Not defending Jet but the damage is not their fault. We are all struggling with more freight damage than ever, these days. All the LTL carriers are under-staffed, over-worked, and much new/inexperienced labor. We (consumers) just happen to be at the unfortunate end of that chain. In our experience, the damage is occurring between the local terminal and the customer’s address. Machines not strapped into box truck properly, etc. Whatever the cost and hassle involved with bringing a trailer to the local freight dock, it’s worth it. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Erik

This is jets fault. You can't place a 400 pound item on a pallet that has 5/16" thick wood where there is 100psi of downward force on each leg. The legs will punch through when the truck hits bumps going down the road. You also can't make a frame out of that same wood, toe nail it together then throw a cardboard box over it. Build the crate expecting it to get bumped around a bit.

andy bessette
01-09-2022, 11:27 PM
When buying 2nd (or 3rd) tier machinery you just can't be too fussy about expecting a pristine machine. Transporting it yourself can help.

Travis Conner
01-10-2022, 10:28 PM
I contacted jet and they sent me all the replacement parts I needed.

Curt Harms
01-11-2022, 7:43 AM
I contacted jet and they sent me all the replacement parts I needed.

I'm sure you've already figured this out but make sure you use it enough to be certain nothing else is bent, damaged or out of spec. I'd probably get a good blade and make sure you can rip or resaw without having to apply "kentucky windage" to the workpiece to get it to cut straight.

Brian Runau
01-11-2022, 11:50 AM
When buying 2nd (or 3rd) tier machinery you just can't be too fussy about expecting a pristine machine. Transporting it yourself can help.

Is jet considered 2nd 3rd tier? Brian

andy bessette
01-11-2022, 11:55 AM
Is jet considered 2nd 3rd tier? Brian

2nd or 3rd tier, depending on which machine.

mike stenson
01-11-2022, 11:57 AM
It's interesting that we should just simply roll over and accept shipping damage, based on the cost.

andy bessette
01-11-2022, 12:04 PM
It's interesting that we should just simply roll over and accept shipping damage, based on the cost.

How many times can you expect to have the same cheaply-made machine replaced for cosmetic issues?

mike stenson
01-11-2022, 12:05 PM
How many times can you expect to have the same cheaply-made machine replaced for cosmetic issues?

You gonna pay for it? The Jet really wasn't made any cheaper than the Delta they cloned it off of. To be honest. Other than the motor.

edit: and the build quality really didn't affect the shipping issues.

andy bessette
01-11-2022, 12:18 PM
My point of course is that, if one is willing to settle for a lower tier machine, why be so concerned about cosmetics? Your cheap machine has a scratch or dent on it--so what? :)

Mike Kees
01-11-2022, 12:26 PM
Andy your points are not very nice. Why should a machine that is not the very top of the heap and the person buying that machine be expected to settle for less than a guy buying anything else ? "Tiers" has nothing to do with it. I understand people wanting a new machine to look like a new machine. Clearly this bandsaw has been shipped with a pallet not up to the task .

John TenEyck
01-11-2022, 1:31 PM
Congratulations - finally. I would have blown a gasket at least once.

So here's a funny twist on shipping companies. I looked into shipping a machine from my house to someone in TX. I checked rates at both FedEx and UPS. I entered an arbitrary date of 1/10/22 as the pickup date. I got my quotes from both companies and the potential buyer said no thank you. I figured that was the end of it. Yesterday, 1/10/22, there's a knock at my front door. I look out the window and here's a 40 ft UPS semi at the end of my driveway. I open the door and ask the driver what's up and he said he was there to pick up a pallet with a 250 lb load. It took me a second to put 2 and 2 together. I told him I was just looking at rates and I had no machine to ship. He seemed OK with it and said it wasn't the first time it had happened. I checked my UPS account afterwards and it shows nothing. Short staffed, stretched thin, under trained; I don't know which it is or if it's all of them, but shipping companies are having a rough time of it.

John

Travis Conner
01-11-2022, 7:23 PM
I was just going to pound the legs of the base to straighten them out on the first saw, but then I realized the metal was fairly thick and two of the legs were twisted, so I decided to let them swap it out. This time the base is okay, but th fan shroud and fan motor was smashed, and a couple adjustment knobs were busted off and I realized that each saw is going to come with some sort of shipping damage because the factory sends them out in these flimsy pallets. It's not the distributor or really the shipping companies fault.