PDA

View Full Version : SawStop and Magswitch

Kris Cook
01-06-2022, 6:07 PM
This has probably been addressed but I couldn't find anything in a search. Just plunked down some significant dough on several Magswitch items. Reversible featherboard for the bandsaw and the "Pro" model for my TS. SawStop doesn't like the Magswitch. I called SawStop and they suggested lowering the blade and moving the featherboard farther away. I tried both of these things but no love.

I am going to be bummed if I can't make this work. Anyone have any solutions?

ChrisA Edwards
01-06-2022, 6:21 PM
I use a magswitth feather board on my Sawstop all the time. Naturally the magnets have to be on the cast iron table surface, which puts them a good couple of inches away from the blade.

What issue are you having?

Kris Cook
01-06-2022, 6:42 PM
Well, belay that request for now. Seems one of my belts came apart. This is an almost brand new saw and the last thing I used it for was to cut some 1/2" plywood earlier today. The Magswitch issue must have (hopefully) been a coincidence.

Hard to believe this belt failed. This is a 3HP PCS.

Frank Pratt
01-06-2022, 7:13 PM
That sure looks like defective manufacturing on that belt.

I have a magswitch featherboard and use it a LOT. It's just so easy to set & adjust; takes mere seconds. I also have a SawStop & haven't had issues with it. Where did you here that SawStop doesn't like them? I don't remember seeing that in the manual. I can't imagine what harm it would do.

Kris Cook
01-06-2022, 7:27 PM
That sure looks like defective manufacturing on that belt.

I have a magswitch featherboard and use it a LOT. It's just so easy to set & adjust; takes mere seconds. I also have a SawStop & haven't had issues with it. Where did you here that SawStop doesn't like them? I don't remember seeing that in the manual. I can't imagine what harm it would do.

Frank - what I meant was - the saw wouldn't start with the magswitch in place. Unbeknownst to me, the belt had failed, thus the blinking lights.

I will call SS again tomorrow and see what they will do on the belt.

Frank Pratt
01-07-2022, 10:16 AM
Now I understand. I've used the Magswitch right close to the blade & it's always started. But that broken belt would definitely cause issues:mad:

Alan Lightstone
01-07-2022, 2:44 PM
+1. I use mine all the time with my SawStop. Works just fine.

Kris Cook
01-07-2022, 7:10 PM
Good to know there are no issues with the magswitch. I appreciate the feedback.

BTW - I called SS this morning and they are FexExing me a belt under warranty.

Kris Cook
01-21-2022, 3:11 PM
Just to close the loop on this.

Got the belt from SS and the saw is up and running.

No issues with Magswitch.