PDA

View Full Version : DC 380 Planer Oil Leak

Vince Shriver
01-05-2022, 6:02 PM
Delta DC 380 Planer: Leaks an inordinate of oil from the gearbox. Specifically it comes from the gear box at the rod (with a knob on the end) that changes speeds. I've changed the oil seal twice ( 5mm O-ring) to no avail. Any thoughts? TIA, Vince

Mike Kees
01-05-2022, 7:07 PM
Vince how closely have you examined the shaft where it makes contact with the o ring. Possibly a burr that knicks your new O ring right away. Something is wrong if this leaks like you say .I remember the Oring but it has been a while and I do not remember the shaft /O ring/housing relationship. Maybe post a picture if possible. I owned a 380 for about ten years and mine leaked from new, but not from the shaft. When I finally pulled it apart I discovered the gasket from the factory dipped away from one of the top corners of the cast cover such that there was essentially no gasket for about 1.5 inches , no wonder it leaked.

Randall J Cox
01-05-2022, 8:53 PM
I have a Delta 15 planer, could you have too much oil in it? Or is the oil to light weight? Using weight that's recommended? Randy

Richard Coers
01-05-2022, 9:08 PM
That's a very common complaint on that machine. Here's one from 9 years ago. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?185832-Delta-DC-380-Oil-Seal-Leaking