PDA

View Full Version : Was an Ambrosia Vase

John Hart
01-16-2006, 7:54 PM
Well...I was gonna make my first box tonight...but, I decided that since I'll be attending Mike Stafford's class in the Fall, I'll not do any boxes until the class...This helps me not have any preconceived notions about how to do things.
Anyway, I got started on this piece of Ambrosia Maple...As usual, I glued a large maple tenon to it.

Half way into this thing, I stopped and noticed some critters living in the tenon...So here's a wildlife shot.

I got nearly complete with the vase and acheived a 1/8" wall...But decided to pull out the hollowmaster to do some last finishing smoothing on the inside. All was going well, but the hole must have been just a tad narrow and WHAM!!! Didn't have a vase anymore.:( I still like it though.:) :)
Maybe I should finish it in lacquer. Oh...and the critters live in the fireplace now.:D

Andy Hoyt
01-16-2006, 8:06 PM
I like it John. Reminds me of two things:

Many that I have done

and

The cowling on an Boeing 737

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2006, 8:14 PM
That's a bummer John. Hope you can salvage it.

Carole Valentine
01-16-2006, 8:51 PM
Jeeze..what kind of critters? Ugly looking suckers. Is that masking tape I see covering their holes?:D:D
Shame about the vase. The Hollowmaster is one of those tools that it is usually best to turn off the lathe before withdrawing it. DAMHIKT:(

Keith Burns
01-16-2006, 8:56 PM
John, that stinks !!!!!

John Hart
01-16-2006, 8:57 PM
Jeeze..what kind of critters? Ugly looking suckers. Is that masking tape I see covering their holes?:D:D
Shame about the vase. The Hollowmaster is one of those tools that it is usually best to turn off the lathe before withdrawing it. DAMHIKT:(

Carole....they are carpenter ants....BIG ones...I think it WAS a nest with a queen....and yes, I taped up their hole so I could finish turning....They're nice and warm in the fireplace now though.:D

Jeremiah Jordan
01-16-2006, 8:57 PM

Nice art turning John. I really do like how it came apart there.

Thanks Andy for sharing that, now I will never want to fly in a 737 again.....

Jeremiah

Bob Noles
01-16-2006, 9:47 PM
John,

That is the 2nd project destruction I have seen tonight. This is not helping my confidence at all :eek:

Think I'll go visit the flat guys for while :D (just kidding)

Sure looked like that was going to be a pretty one too..... oh well, start another one, but leave the critters out this time.

Ernie Nyvall
01-16-2006, 9:49 PM
OUCH!!!

Ernie

Bill Stevener
01-16-2006, 9:51 PM
What kind of parting tool do you use John? :eek:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Dunn
01-16-2006, 10:13 PM
John just consider yourself lucky they didn't catch on fire and run under the couch. Considering what they did to the vase they got their just deserts!

Jim

Jim Becker
01-17-2006, 11:19 AM
JThe Hollowmaster is one of those tools that it is usually best to turn off the lathe before withdrawing it.

This is true for ALL hollowing tools. Let the lathe stop before you withdrawl.

-----
John, bummer on this one. It happens. But look at it this way, you got some fresh barbecue, too!

Ron Ainge
01-17-2006, 12:44 PM
John

that would have been a real nice piece if you had been able to finish it. I have done this in the past and I find that it always happens to me just about the time I think that I have the inside just the thicknes that I want. I have learned to measure twice and turn slowly.

Dick Parr
01-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Sorry to see that John. Maybe you can turn a small base that will fit the hole and make it an oops natural edge.:(

John Hart
01-17-2006, 1:10 PM
Sorry to see that John. Maybe you can turn a small base that will fit the hole and make it an oops natural edge.:(

Ya know what Dick.....I think you might be on to something there...hmmm.:rolleyes: I was going to do something else tonight, but I think you just re-prioritized me. Cool!!!:)

Thanks everyone for your votes of support and hatred of Carpenter Ants. :D I think this piece has new life now.:) :)

Andy Hoyt
01-17-2006, 1:26 PM
Hey! I never said anything about C. Ants. I kinda like 'em.

With ketchup!:D

Mike Ramsey
01-17-2006, 4:14 PM
Bloody Rotten Luck Old Boy! John what type of glue do you use for the
tenons & how long is the setting time?

John Hart
01-17-2006, 4:22 PM
John what type of glue do you use for the
tenons & how long is the setting time?

Hey Mike - I use 4-5 minute epoxy for this (HD generic). It has a working time of 4 minutes and it sets up good enough to turn in about an hour or two. This piece waited 12 hours but I generally wait about an hour and a half....no break aways yet......yet....

Dennis Peacock
01-17-2006, 6:41 PM
I like it John. Reminds me of two things:

Many that I have done

and

LOL!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Andy!!!!!!:eek: :rolleyes: :D :D

Gary DeWitt
01-17-2006, 9:09 PM
Like Dick said, salvage it by making a base to fit what was going to be the neck. Then call it the first in your "shattered series". Years from now when you're famous, it will sell for thousands, or sit in a museum as "art".
Maybe "ode to destructive nature".

Vaughn McMillan
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Carole....they are carpenter ants....BIG ones...I think it WAS a nest with a queen....and yes, I taped up their hole so I could finish turning....They're nice and warm in the fireplace now though.:D
I'll bet they were pretty dizzy by the time they made it to the fireplace. :eek: Serves the little buggers right. (I remember putting grasshoppers inside my Duncan top when I was a kid. They didn't look too well by the time I got done playing with the top.)

Sorry about the loss, John, but I'll be interested in seeing the recovery.

- Vaughn

John Hart
01-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone! And thanks for the idea Dick!! Ok here it is. Because of the shattering, I had to do some epoxying to get it back together. Then I dug around for a piece of wood for the pedestal. Dont know what it is...Brazillian Cherry maybe.....Let's just call it Brown Wood for now. Anyway....this is how it came out. Put a little BLO on it and I'll finish it this weekend. For now, I gotta get geared up for the contest.

Thanks again!

Jim Dunn
01-17-2006, 11:16 PM
John that "turned" out nice. What contest??

Jim

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Sorry about the blow-up.

As far as the carpenter ants go.....................OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!.

and if that doesn't work....................Nuke UM in the microwave. They get crunchy..................MMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD!

Bruce;)

Loy Hawes
01-18-2006, 2:25 AM
Nice save John!

Rich Stewart
01-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Would have been pretty funny to let the critters out after their ride and watch them fall down and trip over each other while puking. Hahaha.

Nice save John!! Looks good. natural edge pedestal Boeing cowel.

John Hart
01-18-2006, 11:12 AM
...Nice save John!! Looks good. natural edge pedestal Boeing cowel.

Thanks all!..Leave it to Andy...:rolleyes: :) What I should have done is make a propeller for it. (That's the big fan on the front to keep the jets cool);)

Jim Becker
01-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Excellent save, John!

Dick Parr
01-18-2006, 2:36 PM
Now That's What I'm Talking About.:D That looks great John;) Remember to save then when you can.:cool: