PDA

View Full Version : Found a jointer!

Chris Sonego
01-02-2022, 10:44 AM
Unbelievable! After looking at the old style craftsman jointers out on craigslist I actually found a bargain. Believe it or not, I’m on my way to pick up a Powermatic 54a 6 inch jointer. Here’s the kicker I’m paying $400 for it! Color me happy! When I figure out how to post pictures on the side I will post them.

Ron Selzer
01-02-2022, 10:45 AM
Congratulations

Jim Becker
01-02-2022, 10:45 AM
Nice find! Congratulations!!

Rich Engelhardt
01-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Now the real agony starts!

(do you or do you not - buy a helical head for it?)
(They are only $309)(I just looked it up)
;)

I only ask because one of the upgrades I am mulling over is to put a helical head on my 6" Ridgid jointer....

Chris Sonego
01-02-2022, 12:39 PM
I’m sure that will be in the future upgrade for me. The jointer I bought actually came with a brand new set of knives that I have to install. So for now I will run straight knives, that’s what I’m used to anyway. But when I get sick of the pain in the butt of adjusting them in the future I will probably just take the plunge and buy a spiral head .

Andrew Seemann
01-02-2022, 1:01 PM
Definitely better than the fixed outfield Craftsman. I had one and upgraded to a Jet 6" (and recently a Jet 8"). Night and day difference from that POS Craftsman.

Ronald Blue
01-02-2022, 3:02 PM
Congratulations! Definitely a better option for you. I have a 6" Jet. Stablemate you might say. I was at Grizzly in Springfield in October. In their scratch and dent room what did I find but a Grizzly helical head that had been returned. I couldn't grab it quick enough after looking it up to make sure it was the correct part number. $150!!! Someone apparently didn't know what they were doing. You could see where they had attempted to install the bearing on one end and never got it seated. Anyway 2 new bearings and a happy camper here. Install was a breeze. It's quiet and does a great job. Of course I had to adjust the outfeed side to match up to it but that minor. I'd highly recommend one when you get to the point of no more sharp knives.

Bill Dufour
01-02-2022, 3:09 PM
I found one of those jointer knife setting jigs worked on my planer. I think I had to set the pressure bar and feed rollers to match the first time. I would think it will work fine on your jointer. I am sure you can find a cheap one somewhere. Does yours have jack screws? If not I made a tool to help.
Bill D

fred everett
01-02-2022, 5:58 PM
Nice deal! That will probably be a lot better than my 6" Jet. Setting the blade heights on the Jet requires the patience of a Shaolin Monk, AND must be done every couple uses. I dream of a helical head, but with the cost, it remains a dream.

Bruce Page
01-02-2022, 6:09 PM
Wow! That’s a super deal for a 54-A. I had its smaller winged brother, Model 50. It was a great joiner.

Chris Sonego
01-02-2022, 6:09 PM
I got it back home, cleaned it up, and put it back together. Now the fun will begin. I'm sure I will need to go through the whole process for set up. Adjusting the tables to coplanar and setting the new knives. I remember it was a real PITA on my old Jet years ago. Wish me luck!

John Redford
01-02-2022, 6:33 PM
Good luck Chris!

Chris Sonego
01-08-2022, 3:59 PM
Update... the knives that came with it were the newer style quick-set. Mine uses the old style straight blades. I bought a set from amazon made by Fox. Probably not the best knives but that's what I could get fast. So, my tables both had a bit of sag. I went old school and loosened the gibs, lifted the tables by the sagging ends, and then tightened. To my surprise, it worked.

Next, I installed the knives. I used a magnetic jig to hold them in place until the holding bolts were just touching. Then I used the old school method to set them. Once there, I slowly tightened the hold down bolts in small increments in an alternating pattern. The knives stayed where I set them.

Finally, I ran some test boards and had a tiny amount of snipe. I barely raised the out feed table and retested until the little bit of snipe was gone.

I was driving myself nuts all week thinking something major would be off with the tables, I wouldn't get the knives just right, or something else would go wrong. It turns out what I dreaded took just under an hour AND I didn't use any high tech dial indicators. (because I don't have). Somehow in all of this, the jointer just WORKS!

Rod Wolfy
01-08-2022, 4:59 PM
Excellent! Have a good time with it, Chris.

Andrew Hughes
01-08-2022, 5:11 PM
Excellent news Chris. Im glad you passed on the craftsman jointer with a fixed outfeed.
Be sure to use only clean wood when your facing or edging. I will help to occasionally look for dirt or rocks in boards that might have been stored on the ground.
Good Luck

Mitch schiffer
01-08-2022, 11:02 PM
I’m sure that will be in the future upgrade for me. The jointer I bought actually came with a brand new set of knives that I have to install. So for now I will run straight knives, that’s what I’m used to anyway. But when I get sick of the pain in the butt of adjusting them in the future I will probably just take the plunge and buy a spiral head .

My understanding is the bird brand helical heads are several months out. If you are planning on upgrading in the future be sure to order well before you need it. Congrats on the find!

Bob Jones 5443
01-09-2022, 3:59 PM
This is the happiest story I've read in a while.