PDA

View Full Version : 15 second mortice

Bobby Hatfield
07-18-2003, 7:28 PM
I love my rejek, it makes mortices so fast, after clamping apron in jig, just hit the switch and joy stick it back and forth for about 15 seconds and there's another mortice.

David Rose
07-18-2003, 7:51 PM
Well, Grouchy... I may have lost this round. The FMT will cut them that fast but you already own the machine. Oh, well... next round...
BUT... will it do tenons that fast too? :D

David

Bobby Hatfield
07-18-2003, 8:15 PM
Well, Grouchy... I may have lost this round. The FMT will cut them that fast but you already own the machine. Oh, well... next round...
BUT... will it do tenons that fast too? :D

David

Them tenons is loose and getin away. Thats why I like that type so well, I can use oak for tenons in what ever, I do stout not pretty. There is one thing wrong with the machine, the table moves instead of the motor and cutter head, that means the board getting morticed has to move, even a 7' table apron and that puts strain on the clamps, jig, and machine. I gotta make a table for parts that will allow them to move easily back and forth on the top of it and it has to be adjustable up and down.

David Rose
07-19-2003, 12:17 AM
Loose tenons work in some places it is hard to do any other way. There is nothing wrong with them.

I would love to see that contraption one day.

David

Them tenons is loose and getin away. Thats why I like that type so well, I can use oak for tenons in what ever, I do stout not pretty. There is one thing wrong with the machine, the table moves instead of the motor and cutter head, that means the board getting morticed has to move, even a 7' table apron and that puts strain on the clamps, jig, and machine. I gotta make a table for parts that will allow them to move easily back and forth on the top of it and it has to be adjustable up and down.

Peter Stahl
07-19-2003, 10:35 AM
I love my rejek, it makes mortices so fast, after clamping apron in jig, just hit the switch and joy stick it back and forth for about 15 seconds and there's another mortice.

Bobby,

Is the mortiser a stand alone unit or is it a part of a multi-purpose machine? If it's a stand alone,what did it cost? I know the multi router is a little pricey.

thanks, Pete

Bobby Hatfield
07-19-2003, 12:33 PM
Bobby,

Is the mortiser a stand alone unit or is it a part of a multi-purpose machine? If it's a stand alone,what did it cost? I know the multi router is a little pricey.

thanks, Pete

Peter this machine is stand alone and cost about 1200.

Richard McComas
07-19-2003, 2:54 PM
Bobby, your right these slot mortisers are great, fast and accurate. What type/desgin of motrise bit do you use? I use a birdmouth type that seems to work well but it is the only type I have used so I have nothing to compare too.

Bobby Hatfield
07-19-2003, 3:45 PM
Bobby, your right these slot mortisers are great, fast and accurate. What type/desgin of motrise bit do you use? I use a birdmouth type that seems to work well but it is the only type I have used so I have nothing to compare too.

That is the same as I have, although I bought some 2 flute endmill cutters to try, I really haven't used one on a job. The endmills pull itself into the material more and takes a bigger bite and hand holding the joy stick for table movement causes it to be a little uncontrollable. What is the industry name for the birdmouth bit, and what is best way of using it, I plunge only a small amount and then move down the mortice, plunge a little more and move back, don't know if that is correct or not. What brand is your morticer ?

Richard McComas
07-19-2003, 4:34 PM
That is the same as I have, although I bought some 2 flute endmill cutters to try, I really haven't used one on a job. The end pull itself into the material more and takes a bigger bite and hand holding the joy stick for table movement causes it to be a little uncontrollable. What is the industry name for the bird-mouth bit, and what is best way of using it, I plunge only a small amount and then move down the mortise, plunge a little more and move back, don't know if that is correct or not. What brand is your mortise ?

Bobby, I have the Felder unit. Not the stand alone like yours. Mine rolls up to and attachés to my Jointer planer. The rpm of the J/P is around 5,500. I don"t know how that compares to the rmps of your unit which might effect the technique. I keep light pressure on the stick and keep it moving fairly rapidly back and fourth. If I use to much pressure of go to slow the bit will dig in to deep. At first is seem a little awkward but after a few mortises you get the hang of it becomes second nature.

BTW I also tried the end-mill bits and didn't care for them.