PDA

View Full Version : Big Pecan Bowl Update

Glenn Hodges
01-16-2006, 5:51 PM
I had the big 30 inch pecan bowl sanded to 600 grit and was starting to put a fancy roll on the lip when I stopped to talk to someone in the shop the variable control on the lathe went into reverse and screwed the bowl off the lathe. The bowl fell on the floor before I could grab it and the picture tells the rest of the story. This is the end of over 2 years work on this one, it is a sad day around here.......

Andy Hoyt
01-16-2006, 5:57 PM
Oh man! That's gotta hurt.

Any salvage opportunites?
Shallower bowl?
Could it be epoxied and when done throw in some stitches?

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 6:10 PM
Oh my. I vote for glue! See if you can resurect it...safely, of course.

Norman Hitt
01-16-2006, 6:21 PM
Use dark epoxy and just tell everyone it's "Rare Spalted Pecan".:(

What a disappointment.

Gary Max
01-16-2006, 6:26 PM
Glenn---seriously---my wife rebuilds those---heck it's the only wooden bowls in our house. If you do not want to mess with it let me know.

Bob Noles
01-16-2006, 6:33 PM
Glen,

Oh man.... that just draws a knot in my stomach. Seeing something like that really really hurts. Keep the chin up though and get started on another one.

Jim Dunn
01-16-2006, 6:42 PM
Hey it looks like a natural edge to me. Course I can feel you pain too. Good luck with what ever you decide to do with it.

Jim

Keith Burns
01-16-2006, 6:46 PM
Glenn, it is truely a sad day. I know I wasen't the only one that was looking forward to seeing the finished product. I'd have to try to repair it. It would be a big save for sure. Oh, I'd have to shoot the lathe:eek:

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-16-2006, 8:09 PM
I know the feeling of having something like that happen. I hope you can salvage it. Please try glue, first. Sometimes the repair doesn't show.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2006, 8:13 PM
Bummer Glenn. Hopefully epoxy will do the trick.

Ernie Nyvall
01-16-2006, 9:26 PM
Oh man Glenn. Really sorry to see that.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
01-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Glenn I dont know what to say!
I know you had lots of time in that bowl but dont let it get you down! Just rough out another and DNA That sucker for about 4 days and let that puppy dry for 3-4 months and do it again!;)

Bill Stevener
01-16-2006, 10:40 PM
That's a big OWIEEE, Glen, I know you can fix it and no one will be the wiser.
Still waiting to see it finished.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
01-17-2006, 7:48 AM
I agree with repair too Glenn. 2 years. Sheesh. Seems worth the attempt. good luck.

Chris Barton
01-17-2006, 8:12 AM
Ouch! Sorry about that Glen! Good luck and go with the glue....

Mark Cothren
01-17-2006, 8:23 AM
That stinks... sorry to hear about it...

Michael Stafford
01-17-2006, 9:23 AM
Too bad, Glenn. Lot of work and disappointment. I think it is repairable. It looks like most of the damage was done to the end grain sections of the bowl. If you tried to glue it the joints would still be long grain to long grain. An epoxy would hold it together. If you could work out some kind of band clamp arrangement and use a slow setting epoxy you could squeeze everything back together. You could hot melt some glue blocks on the outside of the bowl and use them to help hold the band clamps in position. I am willing to bet the epoxy holds better than the original wood but I sure would be standing out of the line of fire when I first turned it on after letting the glue cure. I think it is salvageable if you want it to be. The epoxy joints will virtually disappear under a finish and you will be the only one to know.;)

Mike Ramsey
01-17-2006, 9:32 AM
I saw on the news this morning that the flags in Georgia are flying
at half mast today....Sorry that had to happen to you Glen :( .

Brad Schmid
01-17-2006, 9:38 AM
Oh man, that is truly enough to ruin ones day:(
I hope you can repair and recover.

Tony Sizemore
01-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Glen I am very sorry to hear that. I looked great.

Dick Strauss
01-17-2006, 1:54 PM
Glenn,
I vote for repairs. The unusual dark grain would hide the repairs well IMHO. I'm just glad you didn't get hurt!

Good luck,
Dick

Robert Mickley
01-17-2006, 3:14 PM
I got to go witht he fix it crowd on this one, That is just too nice a piece to at least not try. Why is it its always the piecs you want to come out nice that always do this, but when your just goofing off and playing around nothing ever seems to go wrong?

Jerry Clark
01-17-2006, 9:06 PM
Sorry Glenn- that brings tears to my eyes. :mad: Loved that bowl. Good luck in trying the repair. :)

Vaughn McMillan
01-17-2006, 9:53 PM
I don't jump in here on the Turner's Forum often, but Glenn, that's gotta hurt. :( Add another vote to the "glue it and brag about the save after it comes out invisible" column. You have too much time and emotion invested to not try to fix it. Handling the "gotchas" is part of what craftsmanship is all about, IMHO. ;)

- Vaughn