PDA

View Full Version : My most extravagant shop purchase, for a hobbyist

Brian Runau
12-29-2021, 11:40 AM
Building a bedroom set with an upright chest 48" tall. Did not want to crawl around on the concrete floor of my basement shop putting on guides and adjust drawers etc... So I bought this at harbor freight. Not sure how much I will use it, smaller shorter items I can work on my assembly table, but this time it was nice to just raise the work as I went. Added a wider/longer plywood top to it to hold the dresser.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html (https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html)

Brian

Dave Cav
12-29-2021, 2:43 PM
I bought one years ago and use it all the time. I built a taller top for it so I can raise it to the exact height of my assembly table and table saw. It's especially useful for unloading sheet goods. Just raise it up to the level of the truck bed and slide the sheets onto the table, then roll them to the slider. I'd like to remove the handle and figure out a way to relocate the release trigger.

Richard Coers
12-29-2021, 4:27 PM
I have yet to do something about removing the handlebar and relocating the cylinder release, but valuable in my shop and unloading my van.

Brian Tymchak
12-29-2021, 5:09 PM
I bought the very same cart from Northern Tool, though not at as good of price. Very useful. When I get a spare couple of days I want to build a couple of tables, maybe with removable sides, that are just high enough that the cart will fit under. Then I can move piles of parts and pieces around as I need them.

Jim Becker
12-29-2021, 7:07 PM
I'm a big fan of adjustable height work surfaces in the shop...that shouldn't come as a surprise since I've probably mentioned it about ten billion times over the years. LOL. Why strain one's back or have to lie on the floor to do something when there are solutions to remove those challenges?

Jeff Roltgen
12-29-2021, 7:38 PM
I've had a couple of those cheap guys for quite a while now. Never was able to get them to maintain height. Pinched the heck out of my arm on about the third attempt at bleeding the air out. Got tired of the fight and have been stuck using wood blocks to jamb the wheels in the bottom track to hold them up. They'd be perfect if they could stay elevated.
(Yes, I'd welcome any insights on fixing this overwhelmingly common issue with these cheap lift tables):o

Mike Cutler
12-29-2021, 7:42 PM
Brian
I've had that same hydraulic cart for many years now. I've never regretted purchasing it one bit.
Mine won't hold it's elevated position overnight, but is does lock out at the top if I need to do that.

Kyle Stiefel
12-29-2021, 7:58 PM
Same unit, great bank for the buck. It can be fickle on the overnight gig, sometimes holds tight, others less so. Regardless it is a very handy unit.

Randy Heinemann
12-30-2021, 6:01 PM
Not really all that expensive (or extravagant) as there are other uses for sure. I just don't have room in my shop for another tool that takes up floor space.

Bill Conerly
12-30-2021, 9:11 PM
If this is your most extravagant purchase, maybe it's time to loosen up. Looks like a great value.

Phillip Mitchell
12-30-2021, 9:36 PM
LOL. Hardly extravagant in my book. I have the Northern Tool 1000# model and use it everyday. I put a slightly larger MDF top on mine to give it a little more horizontal surface area, as it were. Mine holds the same height overnight and beyond.

I have posted this a few other times here, but I also have a larger scissor lift (electric / hydraulic) that I use as an assembly table / workbench and it has changed my life and was worth every penny, modification, and the months of searching to find the right deal. My shop is tiny (~500 sq ft) and I make room for this lift and will never give it up. It’s a better work surface than the smaller foot pump cart, which excels more as a parts cart of for wheeling / moving heavy stuff around smaller spaces than a big workbench.

Having adjustable height work surfaces and carts is worth a great deal to me and the way I work alone in my small shop.

Bill Dufour
01-04-2022, 9:25 PM
You all have convinced me. I will be picking one up from craigs list on Friday. 770 pound capacity. About 2x3 feet top. Made in japan. Brand is Southworth. How easy was it to remove the handle so it will fit under my camper shell?
Bill D.

PS: The model name is "Dandylift" LOL. So it must be good!

Alex Zeller
01-05-2022, 2:37 AM
I actually like the 1000lb cart HF sells over the 500lb one. The casters are larger and the handle folds down out of the way if needed. Unfortunately every time I've thought about getting one while at a HF store I haven't had room. The one downside is that the 500lb cart is a little under 100lbs while the 1000lb cart is close to 200lbs in the box.

Rick Potter
01-05-2022, 3:48 AM
Phillip,

What brand/model is the blue one you picture, and where did you get it? How big is the table?

Thanks,

Rick

David Buchhauser
01-05-2022, 3:48 AM
I bought a bunch of these from Grizzly a few years ago when they were closing them out. Some are red, and some are green. I use some of them for supporting sanders, grinders, and other larger tools - makes them mobile and can adjust to just the right height I need for a particular tool. I put blocks into the mechanism to keep them from slowly lowering when they loose pressure. I have also used them many times for unloading heavy equipment from the back of my truck.

David

Brian Runau
01-05-2022, 7:33 AM
I got whatever brand hobby lobby sells. Brian

Thomas Wilson
01-05-2022, 7:40 AM
I have the bigger brother ($350 model) and found it useful until I overloaded it. It now leaks down rather quickly. I would like to find a source for parts to rebuild the cylinder but haven’t found anything. A hydraulics repair shop in Atlanta did not even want to look at it without specs and parts. If anybody has any parts information, I would hear it so I could to fix mine. The leaking problem is common and should be fixable.

Roger Feeley
01-05-2022, 9:12 AM
Hmmmm…y’all got me to thinking. I have two young grandsons and I struggle to elevate to just the right height for the drill press etc. I see that this table has brakes. Would it serve as a work platform?

I would have to shorten the handle. The best home would be under the table saw outfeed.

Phillip Mitchell
01-05-2022, 10:11 AM
Phillip,

What brand/model is the blue one you picture, and where did you get it? How big is the table?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

The blue lift is a Bishamon LX100WBI that is rated for 1000kg (2200 lbs.) This particular one is a super low profile lift and was originally made to sit on the floor and lower down to a height of 3” off the floor. My current needs are not that so I have modified it with the LVLs and casters underneath as well as the MDF torsion box top that is bolted to the steel table. The pump and motor of the low profile lifts like these does not originally mount under the lift and has about an 8’ tail of hose/cable and presumably is bolted somewhere close by, but I have also modified mine with an open plywood “cradle” of sorts under the lift that houses the motor and pump and manages the cords and hose better than being independent mounted. Many of the other scissor lifts that aren’t super low profile have all this factory mounted underneath, but I have found that they command a bit higher price typically.

Table size is 35”x51” on this one, but there are all types of configurations you will find on these industrial scissor lifts. My torsion box has a top that is 40” x 75” which is nice size for most things short of passage and entry doors as far as assembly space.

I found this one used on FB marketplace of all places after looking for the right deal and size of scissor lift for the last year or 2. This one is 220v single phase for the pump motor; I’d say 9/10 you see for sale are 3 phase which adds additional cost for a small VFD if you don’t have 3 phase. I paid $500 for this lift and am beyond thrilled with that price as it is around $4k new for this particular lift and many others are in a similar range (new.) Most used scissor lifts I saw after looking for a few years were in the $1-2.5k range depending on dealer vs private party vs auction.

I would get another one in a second if a good deal popped up. Hope this helps.

David Buchhauser
01-06-2022, 3:52 AM
Hmmmm…y’all got me to thinking. I have two young grandsons and I struggle to elevate to just the right height for the drill press etc. I see that this table has brakes. Would it serve as a work platform?

I would have to shorten the handle. The best home would be under the table saw outfeed.

Roger - that's just about exactly what I do with some of mine. I've got a radial drill press on one, and several others with belt sanders. I adjust the height to suite me, then place blocks under the scissor mechanism to keep it from moving when the cylinder eventually leaks down. I've also got my baby drum sander mounted to one. In addition to setting the right height for comfortable use, they also have the portability factor plus the wheel locks.
David

Roger Feeley
01-06-2022, 5:45 PM
Roger - that's just about exactly what I do with some of mine. I've got a radial drill press on one, and several others with belt sanders. I adjust the height to suite me, then place blocks under the scissor mechanism to keep it from moving when the cylinder eventually leaks down. I've also got my baby drum sander mounted to one. In addition to setting the right height for comfortable use, they also have the portability factor plus the wheel locks.
David

im thinking about elevating a 4 year old. Do the wheel locks work well enough?

David Buchhauser
01-06-2022, 6:58 PM
im thinking about elevating a 4 year old. Do the wheel locks work well enough?

I think that depends on which model you purchase. I got mine from Grizzly, but they have discontinued them. But yes - the wheel locks on mine work fine.
David

Rick Potter
01-07-2022, 2:21 AM
Thanks Phillip. I like the way you set yours up. Very useful.

fred everett
01-07-2022, 10:10 AM
I'm a big fan of adjustable height work surfaces in the shop...that shouldn't come as a surprise since I've probably mentioned it about ten billion times over the years. LOL. Why strain one's back or have to lie on the floor to do something when there are solutions to remove those challenges?

Man you couldn't be MORE correct....one of two big mistakes when I built my shop. I was clueless.....I put 2 of my 3 tables on wheels, but all 3 are diff height. It would be nice to wheel one table over to another and slide material over. I try to wheel heavier material around on the highest table so it can be slid down rather than lifted, but that doesn't always work out. As I age correcting this is moving up on my shop's to do list. My other mistake was electrical but that's another story.

Bill Dufour
01-07-2022, 4:30 PM
Just picked mine up this morning. It looks good to me. It has a factory foot brake at the handle end. Bolted to the frame. man it is heavy.
Bill D.