PDA

View Full Version : round bottom spokeshave recommendations please

Howard Pollack
12-29-2021, 10:46 AM
Hi, I'd like to purchase a round bottom spokeshave for working on concave surfaces. I'd appreciate recommendations and/or thoughts. Thanks. -Howard

John Keeton
12-29-2021, 11:09 AM
Howard, while there are "vintage" and other options, you cannot go wrong with the LN Boggs. It is out of stock presently, but after trying other options I bit the bullet and got one a couple years ago and do not regret it. They crop up on eBay, but not at anywhere near reasonable prices. Get on the mailing list at LN!

Jim Koepke
12-29-2021, 11:26 AM
What kind or maybe more important what size concave surfaces will you be working?

Also important is are you looking for something current or will you be looking in the vintage market?

My population of round bottom spokeshaves was increased recently by the purchase of a Millers Falls #1 "cigar shave"

This is the story on it > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?294984 < As Rob Luter mentions in that thread, it can be a bit finicky.

There are a couple of modern models from Lee Valley:

This is a reproduction of a Preston spokeshave. It is pretty good for light work. Mine was purchased when these were a promotion of the new (at the time) PMv11 blades. It required a little bit of fettling to get it tuned up. There is also a Veritas round bottom spokeshave. My only experience with the Veritas spokeshaves is having purchased a concave sole model. It worked fantastically right out of the box. I suspect their round bottom spoke shave would work just as well.

My other round bottom shave is a Stanley #63. It is the black spokeshave on the bench in the image with the Lee Valley spokeshave above.

The #63 is possibly the most versatile of my three.

The Veritas Round Bottom Spokeshave (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/spokeshaves/112212-veritas-roundspokeshave?item=05P3374) (click this) is currently out of stock as is the Cast Round Spokeshave (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/spokeshaves/71042-cast-round-spokeshave?item=15P1701) (click this).

Good luck,

jtk

Stephen Rosenthal
12-29-2021, 12:19 PM
Got my first Boggs (flat) earlier this year and it changed my perspective about spokeshaves. If there’s such a thing as a perfect tool, it’s the Boggs. I’ve got a stable of Stanley shaves and got them to work well after considerable fettling, but the Boggs was ready to go out of the box. It’s unbelievably well-balanced and instantly improved my work. I have no experience with Lee Valley shaves.

Now as Jim notes, it depends on the type of work you’re doing. Do you need a shave with a more pronounced radius? The Boggs is 1 1/2 degrees while the LN Small Bronze is 3+. There are also wood shaves with an even greater radius and the aforementioned MF Cigar Shave for super tight curves. If you want a shave that will hog off a lot of wood, then the Boggs and LN shaves are not for you.

Derek Cohen
12-29-2021, 8:22 PM
I have standard LN Boggs, the small Veritas, and HNT Gordon. The HNT Gordon spokeshaves are beautiful to look at as well as use. Look up the website (as the ones I have are early models).

The round bottom spokeshave to avoid is the Stanley. It was designed by the Maquis de Sade.

The other factor is the curviture - shallow curves can be planed with flat bottomed shaves. The tightest curves may respond better to a rasp as they are challenging for spokeshaves.

Regards from Perth

Derek

steven c newman
12-29-2021, 10:20 PM
hmmm...didn't Stanley make some good ones? As well as Seymour Smith & Son?
Not sure whether Millers Falls made any...

Jim Koepke
12-29-2021, 11:02 PM
Another thought might be circular planes. Stanley made three models, #13, #20 and the #113.

My only circular plane is a #113:

The flexible sole can be adjusted to be convex or concave. It is generally for bigger work than what one would do with a spokeshave.

jtk

Phil Mueller
01-01-2022, 10:17 AM
When considering a tool that may have a bit of a learning curve, I go for the best I can afford that has a reputation of working right out of the box. As already mentioned, I’d get a Boggs or HNT. I find with learning a new tool, it’s just better knowing that if things aren’t working well, it’s me, not the tool.

Howard Pollack
01-01-2022, 11:14 AM
I've not yet decided what to do, but thanks for the information. -Howard

Jason Lester
01-01-2022, 11:20 AM
I just got the Veritas round bottom spokeshave. I'm taking a class on Boggs chairs in April and the instructor recommended the Lie Nielsen Boggs model, but it has been out of stock for weeks. I must have ordered the last Veritas one since the date is several weeks out now to get one. I cleaned it up and tried it out yesterday. It seems to work well. The mouth is very tight, so there's a very small sweet spot to getting the blade adjusted properly. I'm working on a Irish stick chair with curved arms and backrest, so it's going to get a workout today.

Jim Koepke
01-01-2022, 11:45 AM
The mouth is very tight, so there's a very small sweet spot to getting the blade adjusted properly.

Having a "small sweet spot" seems to be a characteristic of round bottom shaves, at least with the three of mine.

jtk

Jason Lester
01-01-2022, 3:11 PM
Here's the Veritas at work smoothing a crest rail. It's 3 1/2" thick ash and some of the hardest ash I've ever worked. It did a good job, considering the task.

Derek Cohen
01-01-2022, 8:42 PM
Having a "small sweet spot" seems to be a characteristic of round bottom shaves, at least with the three of mine.

jtk

The reason for the small sweet spot likely lies in the position of the mouth. Most flat spokeshaves have a small toe area, and a round bottomed spokeshave will have even less registration owing to the curve. This is the reason why they are more difficult to use - one is essentially learning to ride the bevel as there is minimal support from a sole.

HNT Gordon vs Stanley …

https://i.postimg.cc/0Q1GzqRh/93-CA3675-9-B8-E-4534-ACB8-4546503-A95-B2.png

The greater the curviture of the sole, the less registration, and the higher the level of difficulty. But, dial it in, and it is a new world!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Howard Pollack
01-02-2022, 10:20 AM
Just to be sure, I understand you to be saying that the HNT Gordon round bottom spokeshave is much easier to use than one with a more narrow toe. Is that correct? Thanks. -Howard

Derek Cohen
01-02-2022, 11:25 AM
Howard, the HNT Gordon rounds are indeed easier to use.

Read: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/THE%20HNT%20GORDON%20SPOKESHAVES.html

Note I have the earlier versions.

Regards from Perth

Derek

steven c newman
01-02-2022, 12:29 PM
I'll just keep the one Seymour Smith & Son sold.....a double spokeshave....one is flat bottomed, the other is round....can rough out a shape with the flat, move to the round to finish it up...

And...S.S.& S. did make some very good spokeshaves....maybe Joe Bailey can show a catalog photo of their line up....Hear tell that Stanley also made a version...

Stephen Rosenthal
01-02-2022, 1:37 PM
I have no experience with the larger HNT Gordon spokeshaves, but I did purchase (and return) their version of the small round shave. I purchased it after selling my MF Cigar Shave, thinking it would be handy for the tight inside curves I sometimes work into my designs.

Well, I was wrong - and I suspected I would be immediately upon opening the box. The blade is tiny and only 1/16” thick (the same thickness as their large spokeshaves). Good luck sharpening it. The mouth is microscopic and adjusting the blade to get the desired cut proved to be the definition of frustration. I tried a number of test cuts on straights, curves and edges and decided rather quickly that this tool was not one that would enhance my work.

Is it a bad spokeshave? I won’t go that far. I’ll just say that it’s a very specialized tool that doesn’t work for me. A fine grain Auriou or Liogier Modeler’s or Rattail rasp is much more appropriate. Will I ever consider another HNT Gordon? No. I’ll stick with LN, Boggs and possibly a wooden shave maker when I decide to upgrade my Stanley shaves, which I did when I purchased my Boggs flat shave.

Howard, if you do opt for an HNT Gordon shave, I suggest you order it from Leslie at Heartwood Tools. She is one of the more righteous people in the business, and as I mentioned, has a no questions asked return policy if you’re not satisfied. I have no affiliation whatsoever with her or her small business, just a satisfied customer who happened to be dissatisfied with the tool he purchased. https://www.heartwoodtools.com/

Brian Lefort
01-02-2022, 8:30 PM
Lee Valley Veritas

steven c newman
01-02-2022, 9:49 PM
Hmmmm..and..
The 2 I have from Seymour Smith & Son...a single and a double...
the double has both a straight and a curved 'shave

Compare to the slightly larger Stanley No. 51....

Derek Cohen
01-02-2022, 11:26 PM
I have no experience with the larger HNT Gordon spokeshaves, but I did purchase (and return) their version of the small round shave. I purchased it after selling my MF Cigar Shave, thinking it would be handy for the tight inside curves I sometimes work into my designs.

Well, I was wrong - and I suspected I would be immediately upon opening the box. The blade is tiny and only 1/16” thick (the same thickness as their large spokeshaves). Good luck sharpening it. The mouth is microscopic and adjusting the blade to get the desired cut proved to be the definition of frustration. I tried a number of test cuts on straights, curves and edges and decided rather quickly that this tool was not one that would enhance my work.

Is it a bad spokeshave? I won’t go that far. I’ll just say that it’s a very specialized tool that doesn’t work for me. A fine grain Auriou or Liogier Modeler’s or Rattail rasp is much more appropriate. Will I ever consider another HNT Gordon? No. I’ll stick with LN, Boggs and possibly a wooden shave maker when I decide to upgrade my Stanley shaves, which I did when I purchased my Boggs flat shave.

Howard, if you do opt for an HNT Gordon shave, I suggest you order it from Leslie at Heartwood Tools. She is one of the more righteous people in the business, and as I mentioned, has a no questions asked return policy if you’re not satisfied. I have no affiliation whatsoever with her or her small business, just a satisfied customer who happened to be dissatisfied with the tool he purchased. https://www.heartwoodtools.com/

My experience is with the early model, which is fashioned after Japanese spokeshaves (but with a higher cutting angle). These are exceptionally stable.

I have not used the latest versions, but have high confidence in Terry Gordon's ability to turn out the highest quality tool. He simply does not make a dud. Every design is researched and tested to the max.

My go to 'shaves are the LN Boggs, of which I own all three. The reason I have not mentioned Veritas is simply because I have not used them. Veritas, like Terry, make excellent tools. My preference is to use spokeshaves without adjusters. This is just a balance/ergonomic thing for me. I am comfortable using a hammer to make adjustments.

Having mentioned using a hammer, it needs to be added that old school low angle wooden spokeshaves are a treasure. There is a little learning curve, but once you get it, one discovers that the one setting can plane both fine-and coarse shavings. The toe should have a 2-3 degree camber - just like a travisher. This allows the mouth to roll using pressure in the fingers/wrist.

https://i.postimg.cc/W3LQCsQR/2a.jpg

The related style to look for is the metal versions ...

https://i.postimg.cc/j5Dv76HS/Stanley-spokeshave2-zpsm2m2yoj0.jpg

The Veritas LA spokeshave has a flat toe. I plan to modify mine and see it it can work this way. However, I have a couple of Stanleys, and these work very well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob Luter
01-03-2022, 5:53 AM
I've had about 20 spokeshaves (mostly vintage) and always seemed to struggle a bit with the curved variety. They've all moved on to new homes. I treated myself to the Boggs shaves from LN and have to say they're an entirely different experience and a real joy to use. For smaller curved work I use the Preston homage that LV sells. It works very well too.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4854/46237705974_01488a643d_b.jpg

https://assets.leevalley.com/Size4/10007/15P1701-cast-round-spokeshave-f-75.jpg

steven c newman
01-06-2022, 4:20 PM
Hmm, gave mine a work out, this afternoon..
Seymour Smith & Son...start up..
Almost done with one end...
In case I ever need a handle, made from Ash... Oval handle? Or, octagon handle?
The straight edge can be used to rough out the blank, too..

Bob Jones 5443
01-06-2022, 7:16 PM
Howard, while there are "vintage" and other options, you cannot go wrong with the LN Boggs. It is out of stock presently, but after trying other options I bit the bullet and got one a couple years ago and do not regret it. They crop up on eBay, but not at anywhere near reasonable prices. Get on the mailing list at LN!

Joh you and I have talked spokeshaves in the past. I bought the Boggs curved from Anne of all trades at a Lie-Nielsen tool fair a few years ago. Some folks here might remember I whined about not being able to use the shave without chatter.

I decided to get a 151R round bottom. The mouth is a maw compared to the Boggs's. But it helped me get used to using the tool. I now often start with the Stanley to slog through the rough spots, and finish with the Boggs.

I also got a 151 flat and I make no apologies for its gaping mouth.