PDA

View Full Version : Walnut----Showing off

Gary Max
01-16-2006, 5:29 PM
Not me the Walnut---heck if you think about it that's what we do---let the wood show off. This is the best hunk of Walnut ever to jump on my lathe. It starts off at a full 28 inchs but after trimming off the sap wood we are down to 20. She came off the lathe at just over 19 inches. Lathe time was almost two full days. I made three 32 gallon trash cans full of chips and curls.
Now it's back to building those Park Benchs that I should of worked on this weekend. Oh well it's not like I am going to get fired. It will take about a month for the wife to get the finish done.
Hope you enjoy

Jim Dunn
01-16-2006, 6:21 PM
What this stuff about this being the wife's lathe?? You let her in the shop for something other than cleaning and bring you your lunch?? ( I'm waiting for lightning to strike me right now:) )

Nice bowls and your right about the wood showing off, but your doing a nice job of it too.

Jim

Bob Noles
01-16-2006, 6:22 PM
Gary,

Hope you are not still considering entering the itty bitty contest :D

That thing is massive and equally as pretty. Nice job!

Gary Max
01-16-2006, 6:31 PM
Jim ---Margie has her own shop---attached to the house---with heat and air.
I get a woodburner and a fan.
She just started turning about 6 months ago and really doesn't have room for the lathe or it would be in her shop.
You will like this
She's also my fishing buddy

Jim Dunn
01-16-2006, 6:39 PM
My wife used to be my fishing buddy till she quit wearing bikini's.:eek::eek::cool: Now she stays home and sets for our dogs and grandbaby. Something about being older makes her want to fish in baggy pants and sweat shirts:p

Obviously your wife has you trained as most women have their husbands trained. Yes dear, right away dear, do you want me to make dinner;)

Gary Max
01-16-2006, 6:48 PM
Jim--- that's why we get along

Keith Burns
01-16-2006, 6:50 PM
That will definately hold a super-size on the popcorn:) Nice piece for sure.

Karl Laustrup
01-16-2006, 7:45 PM
That's a really nice chunk of walnut.

I can't wait to see the size of the dime you find to make it look "Itty Bitty". ;) :D

Don't forget to post the finished version. I got an idea it will be spectacular.

Karl

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-16-2006, 8:04 PM
This just goes to show why we ALL LOVE Walnut. You ministrations help it show!

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2006, 8:16 PM
Bruce said it. I love working with walnut. Gary you did a fantastic job on it. Looks beautiful.

Jeremiah Jordan
01-16-2006, 8:45 PM
Nice bowl Gary, even though walnut is my 2nd favorite wood. LOL :D

Jeremiah

John Hart
01-16-2006, 8:51 PM
Wow! That is cool Gary!!! I agree with Karl about seeing this guy finished. There's some curl in there that is just gonna light up! Can't wait.:) :)

Corey Hallagan
01-16-2006, 9:00 PM
That is a cool chunk of wood for sure Gary! Very nice bowl!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
01-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Can't wait to see it finished Gary. Looks good noww.

Ernie