PDA

View Full Version : New Bandsaw!

Geoff Barry
12-28-2021, 2:03 AM
Some of you may recall my post this summer about the difficulties in ordering a new 18" bandsaw given the pandemic's effect on the global supply chain and shipping. I made a joke about having bought myself a Christmas present, but my Rikon 10-347 did, in fact, arrive on December 24th! Getting it off the pallet and assembled made me feel old and tired, but it's looking good. Overall, I'm glad I took the advice and waited (tip 'o the hat to Eric Loza).

Some interesting issues that have arisen:

1. I had some 30a 240 lines run in the Spring in my garage - having no idea what machinery I might get, the electrician defaulted to a 4-wire, NEMA 14-30 outlet. The Rikon has a three-wire power cord. I think I'll get an RV 1 ft extension cord with a 4-pronged plug and a 3-pronged outlet. Next time the electrician is out for something, I'll have him swap out the outlet itself.

2. I had a Grizzly heavy duty base handy, but it doesn't have "legs", so while it has no problem with the bandsaw's weight, there still is some movement with the bandsaw. I broke down and ordered the mobility kit - I thought of getting another bear crawl 4-swivel base (I have one on my tablesaw that I like), but went with the tried and true instead (same price). If I move the bandsaw a lot, I may reconsider, as my one-car garage is tight.

3. It came with a generic 1/2" blade. I was thinking a 3/4" woodslicer for resawing, and a timberwolf for general purpose. While the Rikon supposedly can take up to a 1 and 3/8th blade, I'm not sure it can tension a blade like that. Does anyone with a Rikon 10-347 or similar have a favorite blade they'd recommend?

4. While wrestling it off the pallet and onto the mobile base, a black plastic knob went bouncing along the floor. It looks like one of the adjusters for the blade guides - but they're all still there. Staring at the manual and parts diagram has not revealed any missing knobs. I have no idea where it came from . . .

Lisa Starr
12-28-2021, 7:17 AM
It is a beauty. Congrats.

Erik Loza
12-28-2021, 9:14 AM
...was thinking a 3/4" woodslicer for resawing, and a timberwolf for general purpose. While the Rikon supposedly can take up to a 1 and 3/8th blade, I'm not sure it can tension a blade like that....

Congrats and I am fan of Timberwolf blades. 3/4" would be the largest I would run on your machine. Your saw reminds me of the Minimax S45N, which 3/4" was the sweet spot for as far as wider blades. Best of luck with it.

Erik

derek labian
12-28-2021, 9:55 AM
Congratulations. I really like the Bear Crawl All Swivel Base. For big equipment, you will see it makes moving that beast far easier. Good value and easy to assemble too.

Randall J Cox
12-28-2021, 10:33 AM
Congrats and I am fan of Timberwolf blades. 3/4" would be the largest I would run on your machine. Your saw reminds me of the Minimax S45N, which 3/4" was the sweet spot for as far as wider blades. Best of luck with it.

Erik

Hi Erik, quick question. I have a green 18" MiniMax S45, have had it for about 5 years now, bought used, nice saw. Whats the diff between mine and the S45N? Randy

Erik Loza
12-28-2021, 10:52 AM
Hi Erik, quick question. I have a green 18" MiniMax S45, have had it for about 5 years now, bought used, nice saw. Whats the diff between mine and the S45N? Randy

So, the S45 has been around forever, the "N" being the latest version (assuming they haven't done anything further with it since I left in 2016). The earlier versions (gold, green, or even reddish in color) all were built about the same but had small motors (sometimes even 50Hz) and a more primitive fence system and guides. They did a really nice job with the "N" version. It was an underrated machine, probably because we were so heavily invested in selling the Centauros at that time.

Erik

glenn bradley
12-28-2021, 10:53 AM
Some of you may recall my post this summer about the difficulties in ordering a new 18" bandsaw given the pandemic's effect on the global supply chain and shipping. I made a joke about having bought myself a Christmas present, but my Rikon 10-347 did, in fact, arrive on December 24th!

:D:D:D Merry Christmas!

You may want to PM Erik. He may not check back to this thread and our software does not allow things like "@Erik Loza" to notify him of your post.

JOEL MONGEON
12-28-2021, 11:01 AM
Looks awesome, congrats on the new saw!

Frank Necaise
12-28-2021, 9:42 PM
Nice new bandsaw!

Matthew Hills
12-28-2021, 10:26 PM
4. While wrestling it off the pallet and onto the mobile base, a black plastic knob went bouncing along the floor. It looks like one of the adjusters for the blade guides - but they're all still there. Staring at the manual and parts diagram has not revealed any missing knobs. I have no idea where it came from .

I'd recommend looking through the parts list in the manual for candidate missing parts.
You've got 3 knobs for the upper guides, and looks like the blade guard cover is also held in place by one of these knobs (Figure 18-A in the manual)

Also some on the lower guides.
And there is a slightly bigger knob on the side of the fence to hold the aux fence.

Nice saw, btw.

Matt

Maybe the screw

Wes Grass
12-28-2021, 11:18 PM
Beautiful. I've got one if their 14" models in my long range sights

Enjoy your new present.

Bernie Kopfer
12-28-2021, 11:33 PM
I have that same saw obtained October of 2019. I too really like the mobility system. I run a Trimaster 1in blade on it. And using a tension meter I am able to tension it properly, but I think it is at the limit of its ability before the frame starts to give. Love the big table and safety features. Enjoy your great new saw. The knob you found might be from the sliding vent door covering the lower guides.

Rod Wolfy
12-29-2021, 9:50 AM
Stump Nubs recently put out a video about bandsaw blades. He recommends a carbide tipped blade, like a Resaw King. I have a Lennox carbide tipped blade for my 21" 5hp Grizzly.