PDA

View Full Version : convert 6mm wood screw go guides to a #6 or a #8

Brian Runau
12-27-2021, 9:35 AM
Can't decide. 6mm convert to #6 or a #8. #8 head sticks proud of the beveled hole in the guide, but I am concerned a #6 will pull through under load?

Thanks.

Brian

Jim Becker
12-27-2021, 10:10 AM
If you are talking about drawer guides, many require special low profile head screws designed for the purpose. Standard screw heads may not seat into the holes far enough to clear the moving parts on the drawer glides as you note. Those special screws also come in different thread types depending on the material they are supposed to engage. Lastly, don't forget there are #7 screws, too. A #7 trim head might be perfect, assuming you can get the length you need. (I use McFeeley's)

Brian Runau
12-27-2021, 11:23 AM
If you are talking about drawer guides, many require special low profile head screws designed for the purpose. Standard screw heads may not seat into the holes far enough to clear the moving parts on the drawer glides as you note. Those special screws also come in different thread types depending on the material they are supposed to engage. Lastly, don't forget there are #7 screws, too. A #7 trim head might be perfect, assuming you can get the length you need. (I use McFeeley's)

thanks Jim.

Rich Engelhardt
12-27-2021, 4:49 PM
What Jim said....

& it's just flat out amazing how that little wisp& hint of a proud screw head can bind up a drawer glide like a boulder.......or so I'm told.