PDA

View Full Version : Edge Jointing Veneer

Bill Dempsey
12-26-2021, 9:03 AM
Looking for best practice for edge jointing shop sawn veneer. Sawn to 3/32 or slightly thinner, going to drum sand to 1/16 for glue up. Birdseye and curly maple at the moment. Pieces are 45-48 inches long.

Robert Engel
12-26-2021, 9:37 AM
I use a piece of jointed lumber with 220 sand paper adhered. Use it like a shooting plane, sandwich the veneer b/t 2 pieces of wood to prevent flexing, works for me…..

glenn bradley
12-26-2021, 9:47 AM
Bingo. They even make commercial 'shooting sanders'.

Brian Burns VT
12-26-2021, 10:44 AM
#7 or #8 Jointer plane would be my first choice and using the jointer my second. Just run them both at the same time with either option and you should be good. Good luck

John TenEyck
12-26-2021, 7:11 PM
Shop sawn veneer behaves like thicker stock for the most part so I use my jointer unless it's something like Birdeye maple where I get tear out. With that stuff I use a shooting sanding board or clamp the veneer between two straight edges and run a climb cut with a pattern routing bit.

John

David Zaret
12-26-2021, 7:26 PM
at that thickness, i would run them through the jointer... or even a track saw with a good blade.

John TenEyck
12-27-2021, 10:27 AM
#7 or #8 Jointer plane would be my first choice and using the jointer my second. Just run them both at the same time with either option and you should be good. Good luck

Not singling you out Brian; I read this comment often but it's incorrect. If you edge joint two pieces at the same time any defect will be doubled when you fold them open and place the edges together.

John

Brian Burns VT
12-27-2021, 10:43 AM
Sorry John TenEyck, totally agree with you on a machine jointer. I was sloppy in my description. I'd do them one at a time on a machine but clamp together and do both at once with a handplane (oriented properly so the two fold out into a panel) so I don't have to sweat my plane's blade being perfectly centered and I have more meat to ride the plane on. Do you handplane joints one at a time? I only ever do if I have too much thickness for the width of my blade

mike stenson
12-27-2021, 10:54 AM
Not singling you out Brian; I read this comment often but it's incorrect. If you edge joint two pieces at the same time any defect will be doubled when you fold them open and place the edges together.

John
What, match planing? Works, even on a machine. It's just harder to do properly when you can't see what you're doing. It's a whole lot easier than trying to perfectly edge joint by hand.

Brian Holcombe
12-27-2021, 11:41 AM
I gang them up on the jointer, then very very lightly spring joint them.

mike stenson
12-27-2021, 11:57 AM
I've never tried spring joints on a jointer. Maybe I'll try that today, it'll likely be the first time I've moved my height adjustment in years. Thanks!

Brian Holcombe
12-27-2021, 12:01 PM
Sorry I meant to add that I do the spring joint by hand.

Joe Jensen
12-27-2021, 12:06 PM
why would one spring joint 3/32" stock? My jointer is dialed in, no need to ever spring joint a board, certainly not veneer. How would you put enough clamp pressure on to close a spring joint?

mike stenson
12-27-2021, 12:11 PM
Sorry I meant to add that I do the spring joint by hand.
OK, that makes a lot more sense.

andrew whicker
12-27-2021, 5:29 PM
I have been using a method I found online.. I use a sort of straight edge / shooting block set up and put two sheets together at time, set my hand plane blade at an angle and joint two pieces at a time along the edge they share.

This should help by creating some overlap btwn the two pieces when you go to tape them together. OTH, I haven't spent too much time joining two sheets without a slight bevel because I have had good results doing it this way and it doesn't take any longer if I only do two sheets at a time. If I didn't want the bevel, I would do it the same way, but without the hand plane blade angled. Without the bevel, you could add more than two sheets to the stack. I'm sure I'll get around to trying it this way once I get involved in larger veneer projects.

That's pretty thick veneer, I can't wait to get a bandsaw and feeder capable of nice shop sawn.

Cheers,

johnny means
12-27-2021, 6:26 PM
I use the slider or a sled on the cabinet saw. I add a pressure bar to hold the veneer flat during the cut. Jointing usually doesn't work well for me, except on the shortest edges.

Bill Dempsey
01-01-2022, 12:09 PM
Closing the loop. This was Birdseye maple, I used the climb cut router technique with pressure cawls. Result was great, no tear out or chipping.
Thanks....