PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Sorby Sovereign Ultima hollower?

Gary Pennington
12-25-2021, 6:09 PM
Bought one of these with a group of tools from a retired gentleman, he said that he had used it to hollow vases and felt that it worked OK. Well, I've tried it on both wet and dry wood and have yet to find a setting that allows me to cut for more that a few seconds before it clogs between the cutter and fence. I did find a YouTube that showed a guy hollowing with the lathe running in reverse so that you can see the cutter head engage the wood. That helped with getting the cutter located but it still clogs pretty quickly.

If the clogging could be solved I think this would be a pretty doggone useful tool. Does anyone have a silver bullet for this tool? Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

Gary

Robert Hayward
12-25-2021, 6:31 PM
Do not recall ever seeing one in person. Cannot tell from online pictures how it cuts. Is the cutter anything like a Oneway Termite hollower?

Gary Pennington
12-26-2021, 6:56 AM
[QUOTE=Robert Hayward; Is the cutter anything like a Oneway Termite hollower?[/QUOTE

Somewhat. The cutter is kinda like the Sorby but there's no adjustable fence on the termite. Here's a couple pics that may shed some light:

Gary

Richard Coers
12-26-2021, 6:39 PM
I've found with hooded hollowing tools that you have to turn the lathe speed way down. Take it down to 250rpm and then slowly increase it to find your sweet spot.

Gary Pennington
12-26-2021, 7:17 PM
I've found with hooded hollowing tools that you have to turn the lathe speed way down. Take it down to 250rpm and then slowly increase it to find your sweet spot.

Thanks Richard,
I was doing just the opposite. Will give it a try on the next piece,

Gary