PDA

View Full Version : Small Pine Box

Ron Ainge
01-16-2006, 3:27 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Here is a small box made in the shape of a honey jar. The box is about 3 1/2 inches tall and about 2 1/2 inches wide at the base. The wood is Ponderosa Pine with stain provided by the bugs. The wood is easy to turn but it tears out so sharp tool are mandatory. I hope you like it.

Michael Stafford
01-16-2006, 3:29 PM
Looks pretty nice. I have all but given up on turning boxes from pine. It looks like you have done it successfully. Nice job, Ron.:D

Corey Hallagan
01-16-2006, 3:42 PM
Nice little box. This is what I want to be able to do some day, neat little boxes like this. Nice work. Curious Mike, what is the problem with turning pine? Too much pitch?

Corey

Bob Noles
01-16-2006, 4:02 PM
Ron,

Beautifully executed and I have said it many times before. but will say it again...... pine is my favorite wood.... not always easy to work with, but I love it anyhow.

Thanks for sharing the nice piece.

John Hart
01-16-2006, 4:33 PM
I'm trying my first box tonight (I hope). Maybe it'll look half as good as yours Ron.(I hope):)

Michael Stafford
01-16-2006, 5:50 PM
Curious Mike, what is the problem with turning pine? Too much pitch?

Corey

Corey, there is nothing at all wrong with pine except it has a tendency to tear out and chip. I just don't want to mess with it. Ron may be able to get better wood where he is than I am able to here. I find it to be more trouble than it is worth. I prefer hardwoods for boxes.

Corey Hallagan
01-16-2006, 7:02 PM
Thanks Mike, thought it might be a sticky, sappy pitchy mess.

Corey

Keith Burns
01-16-2006, 7:04 PM
Very nice Ron:) Nice form:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2006, 8:34 PM
Beautiful Ron. I like the form.

Ron Ainge
01-17-2006, 10:19 AM
The pine I am using is off of some property that I bought last spring. As with all pine it does tear out and is not the best wood to do this type of project with unless it is real dry. I have a good number of these trees on the property and several of them have been killed by the beetle that leaves the blue stain in them. The trees I am using have been standing dead for several years so they are very dry, in fact they will soak up water like a sponge. I plan to move to the property after I retire and then I will have time to clear all of the dead trees off of the land. I think that I will have to put a wood burning stove in the house to heat it and use up most of the wood I cut up. I should have enough to last several years.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-17-2006, 6:48 PM
Good lookin' Every time I turn Pine, it ends up a mess and goes on the burn pile!

Bruce