PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro... Putting together new garage shop

Chris Sonego
12-20-2021, 3:40 PM
For my first post here, I figured an introduction is appropriate. At my wife's request, I'm jumping back into woodworking. 15 years ago, I had a formidable wood shop. Due to logistics, I had to sell it all. I honestly didn't think I'd get back into the craft, but recently my wife told me that I needed a hobby and made the suggestion. I warned her that it's a "slippery slope" and that I'd have to make a sizable investment. She gave me the thumbs up.

Since exiting woodworking, we moved to SW Florida. (land of salt air and humidity). Now my challenge is utilizing 1/2 of a 2 car garage, where as before I had a dedicated and sizable area. Everything I've been buying and need to buy has to be on wheels.

So far, I've been looking used and have had some luck. The first thing I bought was a Grizzly wall mounted dust collector w/ remote and and cartridge style air filter. Next I found the deal of the century... A brand new Dewalt 735 w/outfeed tables and mobile base, Rikon 14" band saw, and cabinet style router table. The router table included a Milwaukee 5625, approximately 60 1/2" shank bits, raised panel / stile rail set. All pretty much unused. ALL for $800 from a nice gentleman getting out. The band saw needed tuning and new blade so I happened to find brand new Timberwolf blades on craigslist for a song. I ordered a Wood River LA block plane and Shapton stones. I know, It's not Lie Neilson, but good enough for Rob Cosman. Finally, I could not find anything used for a table saw, so I ordered a Grizzly GO899 with all of the trimmings. (Forrest WWII, Forrest Rip, Forrest Dado, Zero Clearance, and mobile base). I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival.

My first project will be a work bench. I'm going to utilize the Rob Cosman bench with 3" MDF top and Sjoberg end vise. Next will probably a miter station and shop furniture. Oh, almost forgot... I found a Kreg router lift for cheap online and ordered it. When it arrives, I'll make a new top for the router table and install an Incra LS positioner.

Stay tuned... I plan to be here a while!

Pat Rice
12-20-2021, 3:59 PM
Welcome from an east coast Floridian, a mini-split AC will make it enjoyable on those hot humid days.

Mark Bolton
12-20-2021, 4:22 PM
Be thankful your wife didnt introduce you into something like Amateur Astrophotography or just plain old Photography for that matter if you want to talk about slipper slopes lol. If it suits your pursuit at least with your current course you'll have something tangible at the end.

Good Luck.

Frederick Skelly
12-20-2021, 4:58 PM
Welcome Chris. Glad to have you join us. Be sure to post pictures when you get the bench done!
Fred

Bryan Lisowski
12-20-2021, 8:03 PM
In 1/2 of a 2 car garage, there is no way I would have a miter saw station. Takes up way to much space for something that you can find other ways to make a cut.

Lisa Starr
12-20-2021, 8:11 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek. I'll second Bryan's thoughts on the miter station. I have a dedicated 24 x 24 building and mine is on a mobile stand with a flip up wing. It will be out the door if I find anything equipment wise that I'd rather have. It is the messiest thing in my shop and 99% of the time there is another wat to do it.

It sounds like you're well on your way to being setup and ready to make stuff.