PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Slide Supply Chain Shortage

Joshua Bass
12-20-2021, 2:59 AM
How are you guys dealing with the long lead times on drawer slides? It seems Blum slides are out of stock everywhere. I've been waiting on my order since August. I finally ordered the K&V style and the ship date on those keeps getting moved as well. I have projects piling up that I cant finish because of this now.

Joe Hendershott
12-20-2021, 9:52 AM
I had some Blum Tandem slides ordered in March and never got them. I've used them for years on every project and changing isn't easy for me. Latest project I went with the Grass Dynapro slides and am satisfied with them. Still tough to get and I have to look around for them, but I doubt I will go back to Blum. I'm pretty brand loyal but their supply chain issues have been worse than others. Yes, yes, I know all of the excuses but it is past time to get back on track.

Patrick Kane
12-20-2021, 10:04 AM
Uh oh, i just ordered Blum tandems and the estimated ship date was the second week of January. If this is a 6 month lead time, then i will probably go with wooden runners for this small built in project.

Joshua Bass
12-20-2021, 11:39 AM
Uh oh, i just ordered Blum tandems and the estimated ship date was the second week of January. If this is a 6 month lead time, then i will probably go with wooden runners for this small built in project.

My first estimated ship date was in September. It has moved every few weeks and still nothing.

Mark Bolton
12-20-2021, 11:46 AM
My first estimated ship date was in September. It has moved every few weeks and still nothing.

The last info I heard with regards to Blum a month or so back was from another shop that had an order on backorder and they were like #4000 in the queue or something like that. I'd imagine Blum has a backorder list nearing 10K. We run Salice and Grass and supply has been sketchy but not off the charts.

Tom Bain
12-20-2021, 8:50 PM
It’s pretty nuts … my understanding is Blum tandem’s are made in their NC facility, but correct me if I’m wrong on that. Are they sourcing the steel internationally? Or is it a labor issue? Definitely a head scratcher why they are so backlogged compared to other suppliers.

Darrell Bade
12-21-2021, 9:23 AM
Blum seems unobtainable but I recently ordered some KVs and they were in stock at two places that I found on line. I generally use KVs anyway, have had good luck with them.

Patrick Kane
12-21-2021, 9:26 AM
Blum seems unobtainable but I recently ordered some KVs and they were in stock at two places that I found on line. I generally use KVs anyway, have had good luck with them.

Darrell, are the KV undermount slides easy to install? This is my first time installing undermount slides, and blum has a lot of install videos.

Sounds like i am cancelling these blum slides.

Erik Loza
12-21-2021, 9:32 AM
All my local shops are experiencing this. One of them told me that the various suppliers are rationing them, depending on what "tier" customer you happen to be. My suggestion was to explain the situation to their clients and possibly go with a different or more readily available drawer slide for the time being, just so that the install can move forward, then come back and install whatever the original spec was, later. Not ideal but who wants to store several kitchens worth of assembled carcasses on their own dime until this situation settles down?

Erik

Orlyn Gaddis
12-21-2021, 9:47 AM
I ordered some Accuride full extension slides (3832 and 3932 series) directly from Accuride recently and they were delivered in less than a week.

Scott Bernstein
12-21-2021, 10:16 AM
About two years I made a plan to build my own kitchen cabinets, having gotten into the hobby of woodworking 5 years earlier for that specific reason. After sketching out plans on paper, for some reason the very first thing I did was order Blum drawer slides and hinges. I hadn't even ordered wood yet or started building anything. I ordered about double what I would need of both, figuring my plans could change a little and I can use the extra for other projects. Sure am glad I did that! I also ordered about double the amount of Baltic Birch plywood I actually needed - very glad of that, too. I have plenty of solid wood and plywood for all kinds of projects. Just dumb luck - I did not intelligently predict shortages or price increases. Better to be lucky than good, I suppose.

Joe Hendershott
12-21-2021, 11:37 AM
The last info I heard with regards to Blum a month or so back was from another shop that had an order on backorder and they were like #4000 in the queue or something like that. I'd imagine Blum has a backorder list nearing 10K. We run Salice and Grass and supply has been sketchy but not off the charts.

I've never used the Salice, how do they compare with the Grass slides?

Mark Bolton
12-21-2021, 11:43 AM
Ive not had any trouble out of the Salice. I am always honest (even with Salice) that I love the Grass Dynapros. They are a beast of a slide and the clips are night and day (die cast and plastic instead of all plastic). But my distributor for Grass has gone poof and Im left ordering them on-line. The support from Salice across the board is beyond compare. And I can pull them from a couple sources and have them in a day in any quantity. (Hafele is one but spendy).

Blum has done a masterful job in the market and Ive had several slides, hinges, and other components in on jobs where we had to use them or as samples and Ive just never been very impressed with anything from them. I tried a bunch of KV MUV that a salesman shipped in and didnt care for them either. I run Salice by default now for undermounts and all hinges but if I had really good access to Grass I pretty much know I'd go back.

Joe Hendershott
12-21-2021, 12:51 PM
Ive not had any trouble out of the Salice. I am always honest (even with Salice) that I love the Grass Dynapros. They are a beast of a slide and the clips are night and day (die cast and plastic instead of all plastic). But my distributor for Grass has gone poof and Im left ordering them on-line. The support from Salice across the board is beyond compare. And I can pull them from a couple sources and have them in a day in any quantity. (Hafele is one but spendy).

Blum has done a masterful job in the market and Ive had several slides, hinges, and other components in on jobs where we had to use them or as samples and Ive just never been very impressed with anything from them. I tried a bunch of KV MUV that a salesman shipped in and didnt care for them either. I run Salice by default now for undermounts and all hinges but if I had really good access to Grass I pretty much know I'd go back.

Thanks Mark. I'll order a couple of the Salice and give them a try.

I hate to have to change from one brand to another just because it slows things down, but Ill see how they compare. The Blum Tandem slides were fine before I got the Grass, now not so much. The Dynapro just seems better machined and have less slop than Blum, plus they seem to require less force to open them.. Perhaps Blum did me a favor- I know I won't go back to using them. Hoping someone will want the Tipmatic push-to-open option so I can see how well they work.

johnny means
12-21-2021, 12:54 PM
I'm kicking myself for dumping a couple of hundred Grass slides I fell into a while back.

Mark Bolton
12-21-2021, 1:07 PM
I'm kicking myself for dumping a couple of hundred Grass slides I fell into a while back.

Yeah, hind sight is always 2020. Being a pack-rat is never good but it always works out the day you make the resolution to dump inventory three weeks later you could use it or sell it for 5x. Just have to put it out of your rear view and move on.

Mark Bolton
12-21-2021, 1:12 PM
The Dynapro just seems better machined and have less slop than Blum, plus they seem to require less force to open them..

The Dynapro's to me have just got to be grossly under-rated in weight. You just pick up a case of Dynapro's compared to any other and its night and day. And the sliding member doesnt rack/roll around. I always wondered if the other brands run their slides loose to allow more fudge factor but no idea. I never understood how Blum became the benchmark compared to the Dynapros but I would guess marketing and the home centers were the key. Then add in the hobby market that buys blindly and they hit the triple threat.

Matt Day
12-21-2021, 1:32 PM
Thanks for this thread, I should order mine soon for my built in project.

Darrell Bade
12-21-2021, 5:32 PM
The KV's install pretty much the same as the Blum.

Mark Bolton
12-21-2021, 6:13 PM
The KV's install pretty much the same as the Blum.

Every slide out there under or side mount are true32 so if your in that format they are all the same.

Dan Chouinard
12-22-2021, 12:40 PM
I appreciate this discussion. Blum user scrambling for alternatives as we were told 3-5 month backlog. We were sent slide samples from Hardware Resources Dura-Close. They sent a pair of 15" slides and two different types of locking devices. I need to build a 15" drawer box for trial but I am not optimistic. Feels a bit mickey mouse. I am interested in trying the Grass Dynapro with the 4 way adjustable locking device.

Tom Bender
12-25-2021, 7:56 AM
How do the Accuride slides compare?

Patrick Kane
12-29-2021, 6:41 PM
This surprised me, but my blum undermount 18” slides showed up today. I purchased four sets from rockler, as I mentioned before. Oddly enough, they sent me an email before Christmas saying the expected delivery date was pushed back to February 2nd. If you need a few slides, maybe try rockler? Not sure if they have the best price, but I had a gift card I needed to use up.

Jeff Roltgen
12-29-2021, 7:58 PM
FWIW - Hettich is a very nice slide, very reasonably priced, and though a little slow, my local supplier has had much better luck getting them. I've tried all others mentioned, Grass, Salice, Accuride. No complaints - just a Hettich guy as that's what my local supplier has always carried.
As for BLUM, I presume Rev-A-Shelf orders and pricing problems are directly related, as they tout the Blum as a feature on many of their products.
Betting they're in the top 10 cue for priority of shipments from Blum.

Dan Chouinard
01-10-2022, 6:25 PM
Has anyone tried using the Lee Valley undermounts?

Tom Bain
01-21-2022, 2:27 PM
I just got a shipping notice on 9 pairs of blum tandem slides from Cabinet Parts! Woo Hoo!

jim mills
03-15-2022, 11:27 AM
Just checking in on this thread. I just got an update that my back-order has been bumped to September, with locking devices not being available until march of 2023. Hows everyone dealing with this?

Joe Hendershott
03-15-2022, 12:36 PM
Gave up on Blum, Grass Dynapro a bit easier and was surprised to like them much more. What size Blum did you need? I have a few that I might unload.

Frank Pratt
03-15-2022, 12:37 PM
I just tried to get some 10" full extension side mount slides and, you guessed it, out of stock & on back order. They said it should only be a couple of weeks though.

jim mills
03-15-2022, 4:55 PM
Gave up on Blum, Grass Dynapro a bit easier and was surprised to like them much more. What size Blum did you need? I have a few that I might unload.

563H 21" Are the Grass Dynapro a direct replacement? My cabinets & boxes are all done.

ray grundhoefer
03-15-2022, 7:40 PM
I just picked up some K&V 8400 at HDL

Jonathan Jung
03-16-2022, 12:40 AM
Any other ideas on where to get quality hinges and slides? I have jobs booked out until 2024 with customers willing to wait on quality hardware, but the issue is keeping business income. With Blum backordered til April 2023 I'm anxious about getting jobs finished and paid for before then. I've tried ordering Grass, Salice, and Blum from Holdahl, Spokane Hardware/HardwareHut, woodworkerexpress, and Rockler at ridiculous prices.

Any brand or supplier I'm missing?

Hettich, Blum, Salice, Grass seem to be the top brands, and all heavily backordered.

Sam E Miller
03-16-2022, 4:51 PM
I'd also like to hear opinions on KV and Accuride slides versus the big names like Hettich, Blum, Salice, Grass.

Darrell Bade
03-16-2022, 6:39 PM
I've used KV for 35 years without any issues. Never used Blum though so, maybe I'm missing out. All my kitchen cabinets have KV. Now the Hickory from Menards, not wasting my money on anymore.

jim mills
04-25-2022, 1:21 PM
Any updates or new ideas on this crisis?

Rod Sheridan
04-27-2022, 1:35 PM
It’s crazy for all items.

I have a customer who has ordered 3,000,000 screws because they have a 300 day delivery time.

I just went to Home Depot, an SPF 2 X 12 X 12 feet is over $60.

I paid $20.21 for a 5/4 x 6 x 8 foot cedar deck board….Rod

Ben Grefe
04-28-2022, 1:14 AM
I've got to say, I don't understand how drawer slides can be looking at supply disruptions out until 2024. In my professional/day job I deal with suppliers, complex supply chains, etc. Some of it involves sheet metal. Sure, there are certain items that are tough to buy now, but everything is significantly more complex than drawer slides. These things aren't exactly that complicated. Something sounds fishy...

Jared Sankovich
04-28-2022, 8:19 AM
I've got to say, I don't understand how drawer slides can be looking at supply disruptions out until 2024. In my professional/day job I deal with suppliers, complex supply chains, etc. Some of it involves sheet metal. Sure, there are certain items that are tough to buy now, but everything is significantly more complex than drawer slides. These things aren't exactly that complicated. Something sounds fishy...

It's the toilet paper thing all over again. Shops are buying up everything they can trying to keep some level of supply. The manufacturing didn't decrease, the demand increased.

andrew whicker
04-28-2022, 8:42 AM
You have a point. I was in a rush to get some slides, couldn't find any, then called a local woodshop and they were like "yeah, no problem, we have extra and more on delivery".

Maybe if you're small like me, your new vendors are other woodshops. :D :rolleyes:

Jeff Roltgen
04-28-2022, 10:20 AM
Jared is spot on here.
Just like slides/hinges/screws, paints are a similar situation, though now told it's recovering. That said, a painter I just spoke to indicated he's got loads of paint gallons he's been hoarding over the months. Just buy them un-tinted and sit until a customer calls, then take back to paint store for tinting.
As I understand it, that's called "being part of the problem".
But, you know, it's the rest of the public that's the real problem.... :rolleyes:

Dennis Jarchow
04-28-2022, 10:58 AM
I have used Blum in the past. Given the shortages I ordered Salice hinges and slides back in February from Woodworkerexpress because they said they would ship in 7-10 days. I got the hinges right away, but now they are telling me 4-5 months for the slides and the clips, though the website still says 7-10 days. Anyone have a source for Salice Futura Smove slides and clips? I only need 10 pair of 21" slides and 2 pair of 18" plus clips.

Mo Ghotbi
04-28-2022, 3:13 PM
I got tired of waiting for the Blum slides and got the similar slides from Custom Service Hardware. Same dimensions for the drawer boxes and they appear quite robust. If they fail in the future, will replace with Blum (exactly same layout). They are also quite reasonably priced.

John Kananis
04-29-2022, 12:13 AM
Mo, I looked on their site and they are reasonable. I'm not sure which slides you're specifically referring to though. They have a few and not seeing clones.

Ben Grefe
04-29-2022, 12:42 AM
It's the toilet paper thing all over again. Shops are buying up everything they can trying to keep some level of supply. The manufacturing didn't decrease, the demand increased.

Ok, that makes sense. That also explains why Blum might not be increasing supply too much, it would be a poor long term investment.

Jared Sankovich
04-29-2022, 10:41 AM
Ok, that makes sense. That also explains why Blum might not be increasing supply too much, it would be a poor long term investment.

I was under the impression (can't remember where I heard it) they were running flat out currently at max capacity/shifts and opening a new manufacturing facility.

andrew whicker
04-29-2022, 3:34 PM
They know better than any of us, but I'd imagine it's a big risk to sink millions into a new mfg plant that will take a few years to build.. may be that the economy is close to normal in those few years.

risk it for the biscuit I guess.

Dave Sabo
04-29-2022, 4:37 PM

Bit arrogant aren’t you ?

Sheet metal isn’t the only raw material in Tandems. And the peons on this site aren’t the only buyers of them. Blum sells Tandems globally on a colossal scale. And just like auto makers that have factories and workers standing by to build cars - one little item in your supply chain can render you and your competition at a relative standstill.

Even if it were as simple as increasing factory capacity , those don’t get built and worker bees trained overnite. And both cost a lot of money, with the building part hard to quantify because of supply chain issues and rising costs. Then there’s calculating the return I’m likely to see from such an investment that I’ll be pay8ng for with more expensive money because of rising interest rates and weighing it against the risk that demand will remain high for a term long enough to pay for this endeavor.

And then after all that’s said and done , I’ve got ship all these slides to you. You’ve seen the state of shipping ports and containers & prices haven’t you ?

And you still have an incredulous attitude towards slide manufactures not getting you a couple of drawer runners next week huh ?

Ben Schmidt
04-29-2022, 8:56 PM
Bit arrogant aren’t you ?

Sheet metal isn’t the only raw material in Tandems. And the peons on this site aren’t the only buyers of them. Blum sells Tandems globally on a colossal scale. And just like auto makers that have factories and workers standing by to build cars - one little item in your supply chain can render you and your competition at a relative standstill.

Even if it were as simple as increasing factory capacity , those don’t get built and worker bees trained overnite. And both cost a lot of money, with the building part hard to quantify because of supply chain issues and rising costs. Then there’s calculating the return I’m likely to see from such an investment that I’ll be pay8ng for with more expensive money because of rising interest rates and weighing it against the risk that demand will remain high for a term long enough to pay for this endeavor.

And then after all that’s said and done , I’ve got ship all these slides to you. You’ve seen the state of shipping ports and containers & prices haven’t you ?

And you still have an incredulous attitude towards slide manufactures not getting you a couple of drawer runners next week huh ?

You act like all of that is some kind of insurmountable problem for a multi-billion dollar corporation to solve. These companies crying "supply chain issues" all stand to benefit because it paradoxically INCREASES sales and demand, so of course they're incentivized to continue dragging their feet on whatever issue they can. If enough consumers took a beat and stopped buying, things would rapidly correct.

derek labian
04-30-2022, 9:10 AM
I have used Blum in the past. Given the shortages I ordered Salice hinges and slides back in February from Woodworkerexpress because they said they would ship in 7-10 days. I got the hinges right away, but now they are telling me 4-5 months for the slides and the clips, though the website still says 7-10 days. Anyone have a source for Salice Futura Smove slides and clips? I only need 10 pair of 21" slides and 2 pair of 18" plus clips.

I purchased some slides from WWE as well a couple of months back. I couldn't find a better supply either and just resigned myself to wait for the product.

Dave Sabo
04-30-2022, 10:28 AM
You act like all of that is some kind of insurmountable problem for a multi-billion dollar corporation to solve.

You mean the same kind of insurmountable problem all the multi billion dollar multinational auto manuf./ face with getting computer chips for their cars ? That one item is stagnating car production and sales.

You are quite naive and/or crazy if you think there is a cabal of manuf. in any housing related industry sitting around plotting to curtail production in order to drive up pricing and frustrate customers. Even if there were, you think 100% participation is guaranteed ? You're just going to have to accept the the new world reality.

CEO's would love nothing more than to be able to deliver more product right now because they know this type of demand is not sustainable long term.

And you are still not acknowledging the shipping container / port crisis that still lingers in the USA. Which is a bottleneck in your idyllic manuf. system where drawer slides are raining down from the heavens in quantities aplenty.