PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Storage Cabinet

John M Preston 6
12-17-2021, 9:10 PM
As a new member of the Sawmill Creek community I thought I might offer a design others might use a jumping off point for their design.

This is my effort to maximum storage space while providing easy access. I started with the Woodsmith Sliding-Door Shop Cabinet (2009). The cabinet is made from white melamine coated particle board, the rails & stiles for the panels, doors and face frame are primed pine and white pegboard for the interior to reflex light and brighten the shop. Looking the Woodsmith article I thought, if one set of sliding panels is good, two sets are better and doors only improve on that. The width corresponds to an existing workbench against the wall. I used standard sliding door hardware, but with two sets of sliding panels I cut the track in half lengthwise to provide clearance between the front and rear sets of panels. I figured the roller brackets would provide the smoothest action. To keep the panels from swinging back and forth at the bottom I epoxied two pieces of aluminum flat bar in a groves in the bottom of the cabinet and cut corresponding grooves in the bottom of each of the panels. The panels are standard frame & panel construction. To break up the pegboard used for the cabinet back I added vertical dividers with holes for adjustable height. Of course I thought I could measure and install the dividers evenly so the shelves would be interchangeable, but since it is a shop cabinet having custom width shelves isn't a show stopper. I'm guessing a better / more accurate way to ensure equal spacing would be to use spacer stick(s) that could be moved as each divider is secured. I used biscuits for the verticals dividers and I'm not sure how spacer sticks would work in that situation. I figure every project is an opportunity to learn and improve my skills. This project also represents my first attempt at edge banding. It worked, but practices will help.

For the doors I stayed with frame and panel construction, but used dry erase board for the panels so I can make notes as needed. The only problem was I built the doors and assumed I could use some cup hinges I had on hand; however, standard 35 mm cup hinges don't work with 1 1/2" stiles. Fortunately I was able to find some 26 mm cup hinges that worked along with butt hinges for the interior door panels.

And now to the features not on the drawing. I mounted a 4' LED shop light on the bottom side with a pull chain for the workbench. As the design progressed I realized the interior would have a lot of shadows and dark corners. I wanted to mount a light inside the cabinet, but knowing myself I knew I wouldn't be the best at remembering to turn off the light. I found a pair of normally closed switches (i.e. refrigerator light switches). The plan is when either door is opened the light turns on and closing the doors turns it off. I added magnetic catches for a more positive stop, but the switches are still a work in progress. Behind the face frame and the first set of sliding panels wound up being enough room to mount socket strips (metric on one side and SAE on the opposite side). I also mounted tape belt clips on the inside and outside. My slightly more precise tape measure stays on the inside and exterior belt clips holds my speed square scabbard with my heavy duty tape measure. A second 4' LED shop light got mounted on the bottom of the cabinet to provide light on the workbench. The cabinet is hung with a pair of french cleats. I realize using upper and lower cleats introduces alignment problems, but I went with the belt & suspenders approach. Also, the lower cleat provided a furring strip for a strip of pegboard between the cabinet and workbench. Using french cleats had an unexpected benefit, it made the cabinet easier to move. A new job meant relocating, but fortunately the cabinet was able to come with us. In the new garage I rigged up a block & tackle thinking I'd be able to hoist in place by myself; no such luck. But it is mounted and getting filled up with tools and stuff.

William Fretwell
12-19-2021, 9:44 PM
Had no luck with the zip file. A simple picture would be best.
I think I saw the word ‘pegboard’, a swear word in my shop. Particle board has a place but little appeal. Plywood is more durable, moisture proof and much longer lasting.
Can’t really comment on the design as I’ve not seen it yet. Please post a pic or 2.

Scott Brader
12-20-2021, 4:16 PM
Sorry, John, but someone who uses their first post to ask me to download a file, especially in a format that can be harmful to my computer, is not going to get very far. Post pictures if this is legit and allow people to ask for plans, etc.

Maybe I'm just being cynical but your post makes this IT/cyberthreat guy cringe.

Frederick Skelly
12-20-2021, 5:01 PM
Sorry, John, but someone who uses their first post to ask me to download a file, especially in a format that can be harmful to my computer, is not going to get very far. Post pictures if this is legit and allow people to ask for plans, etc.

Maybe I'm just being cynical but your post makes this IT/cyberthreat guy cringe.

Well, you're not alone Scott. I had similar thought. Probably A-OK, but...

John M Preston 6
12-23-2021, 10:15 AM
I appreciate the hesitation to download a zip file. My intent was to upload pdf versions, but the files were too big for that. 470334470335

I'm not a huge fan of particleboard and MDF, but in some application it can make sense. I went with pegboard interior for a lot smaller tools. I am considering using slat wall for finishing the rest of the shop.

John

andy bessette
12-23-2021, 2:59 PM
For workbench storage I much prefer combining readily available storage units, like rollaway cabinets plus an ancient drawer unit and metal parts cabinet I purchased cheap at auction decades ago. Opposite the

https://i.postimg.cc/ydW914sM/saw-bench-1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
https://i.postimg.cc/tTnFTVxL/IMG-0408.jpg (https://postimg.cc/tZysvJD5)

William Fretwell
12-25-2021, 8:26 AM
John, that design seems to be mostly an empty cupboard with a very few tools made hard to reach. The whole cupboard and doors seems utterly pointless and I’m being nice!
A drawer or tool bag is far easier. Please don’t say slot wall again it’s a workshop not a retail fashion store.
There are lots of wonderful tool storage ideas, google Stickley tool chest, make sure you are sitting down!

glenn bradley
12-25-2021, 10:16 AM
I'm not a huge fan of particleboard and MDF, but in some application it can make sense. I went with pegboard interior for a lot smaller tools. I am considering using slat wall for finishing the rest of the shop.

John

Thanks for being persistent and getting some images up John. The software here is quite out of date and there can be some hurdles to overcome to figure things out. I know a lot of people hate pegboard because of childhood memories of the awful stuff available then . . . and still available today as far as "hooks". The current quality offerings for pegboard "hooks" makes this a viable and flexible staple in my shop. If a cabinet has an available side or back it generally gets a pegboard panel applied. This allows me to do whatever I want and to change it with my needs or preferences without much pain :).

My last three workbenches have had pegboard panels on each end.

My recent shop build rearranged some fixtures and new available faces showed up and got panels just this year.

470432 . 470433

Particle board and MDF get a bad rap primarily, I think, due to them being obnoxious to work with. That being said I have fixtures in the shop that are gong on 20 years of service with no issues at all. Finish methods, joinery and fasteners have to be appropriate for the material but, I use them when I think they are the right choice for the task at hand.

470434 . 470435 . 470436

For things that hang on the wall I do tend to go with plywood or more typical hardwood construction methods.

I find that for PDF's or anything else that is too large (or too current) for the forum software to support I take screen shots. These can then be cropped if required and saved with a maximum dimension of 800 for the larger dimension. Other sizes work but, this has worked in all cases for me throughout the years so I just always do that :D.

Example:

Once again, welcome and I hope this helps you navigate around here :)