PDA

View Full Version : File formats

stan kern
12-17-2021, 7:01 PM
Thought here would be a good place to ask about file formats, recently I got into vinyl printing and roland asked me why i was using *.dxf
and i said why not , i have been using *.dxf since 2007
Vinyl printing seems to be using *.ai then *.eps just before is goes to the the printer (mainly because of the cut contour that might be required around the graphic image)
I have used *.plt for plasma and *.svg for shaper origin
A lot of people are saying to stay away from *.dxf as when you save a *.dxf file in corel it asks what year, whereas *.ai, plt. svg, eps, never gets into the year
i use *.dxf on the cnc and the laser but all these machines can use a variety
Any body have experience with formats bad or the best

Kev Williams
12-17-2021, 7:31 PM
I've had very few problems with DXF files, started using lasers in Y2K. When I save DXF's I save them as the oldest year in the list. The only real issues I have with DXF's is when I export DXF's from Gravostyle and open them in EzCad, I'll get straight lines (some, not all) that came back curved. My easy fix, Corel x3 and x4 import them just fine, then I'll just re-export from Corel, and they'll import perfect into EzCad.

I get DXF files from several different customers, and Corel just doesn't like them... My Corel x3 will import DXF's correct for the most part EXCEPT text doesn't show up. It's THERE, but I have to ungroup all, then use the 'group all text' function, and then change the font. Then it's okay... And x4 will import 'visible' text, but the justification's wrong, everything is left-aligned against what is actually the text's centerline. Pain in the butt. And BOTH Corel's text is all framed, line by line, another pain in the butt...

My fix: I use the free version of NanoCad-- I just open, then re-save as AutoCad R11, which is the oldest version listed. When I open in Corel, all text is UNframed. I still have to change the font when using x3 and re-position text in x4, so, I always just use x3 :) I've not found a more convenient workaround, but I'm used to it...

For the most part I have good luck with EPS but depending on the source what I'll open is just a box with "EPS" inside. Not sure why that is :) BUT-- when working in Corel, I can change EPS to DXF and vice-versa and everything's grand. Except EzCad 'don't do' EPS... always something!

John Lifer
12-18-2021, 10:49 AM
I have been asking customers for EPS. I had one engineer that I mistakenly asked for dxf. I had to redo everything as solidworks or other cad software he was using just wouldn't export text as a anything other than broken tiny segments. And broken in that I couldn't fill. So I've stopped asking for dxf. Even a pdf is usually more usable.

Mike Null
12-18-2021, 10:56 AM
Me too. Eps is generally a good format for Corel. I used to get a lot of dxf's and they were always a pain. If you have later versions of Corel then AI files are pretty easy to work with.

stan kern
12-18-2021, 4:41 PM
Dxf is the only format that when requested to save asks what year, and if you have an older laser it will not accept a newer dxf format
but yes corel can fix this in most cases

Ian Stewart-Koster
12-21-2021, 9:13 PM
Our Goldenlaser will import DXFs, but not AI - It always hangs & freezes on ai imports.
But Corel's DXF export I find occasionally buggy, so I use the E-cut DXF export from Corel - zero problems, as long as your units are the same - metric or imperial - at both ends.
Otherwise I use AI version 3 for all program swapping as far as laser & router needs go. It's the oldest simplest plain vector format, and has been foolproof, for me.