PDA

View Full Version : wood working shows

Justin Rapp
12-16-2021, 12:04 AM
Looks like the WW show is back. Only 6 locations. I wonder how many vendors will present. Their web page only shows a handful of Exhibitors so far. I wonder if it will be worth the drive down to Baltimore for it.

Erik Loza
12-16-2021, 9:04 AM
I did a local show here, last September, and I believe a couple of our DE reps did a regional show in Philly or something, a couple of months back. My experience was that it was mostly lookie-loos, nobody coming to actually buy anything. The pattern I have seen is that people come to look but do their shopping online, later. Personally, I still enjoy doing these shows but as a vendor, that is a drawback to the current state of the hobby shows.

Erik

Rod Sheridan
12-16-2021, 9:12 AM
Hi Erik, we were part of a Woodworking Technology week in November.

Many vendors contributed to common advertising and we all had open houses at the same time, at our individual locations.

It worked out very well, particularly at a time when many people do not want to be in large groups…..Regards, Rod

Justin Rapp
12-16-2021, 9:20 AM
I did a local show here, last September, and I believe a couple of our DE reps did a regional show in Philly or something, a couple of months back. My experience was that it was mostly lookie-loos, nobody coming to actually buy anything. The pattern I have seen is that people come to look but do their shopping online, later. Personally, I still enjoy doing these shows but as a vendor, that is a drawback to the current state of the hobby shows.

Erik

Well there is a benefit to seeing the stuff prior to purchase, and also some things are pretty heavy so it's more convenient to just ship it. I tend to buy wood and have bought many tools at ww shows. I wish I knew about the one in Phily, I would have gone to it.

Erik Loza
12-16-2021, 9:20 AM
Rod, that's great. I agree that the path forward is for show organizers to include some type of meaningful classes or teaching, not just a bunch of vendors. At the Austin show, that was specifically done by the Austin School of Furniture and Design. They had a series of various well-know furniture makers doing classes like hand-cutting dovetails, etc. The place was packed. What I observed over the years was that if these various regional hobby shows had classes, it was the same old class every time, which became stale and you could see barely any attendees. Fresh, specialized content is what will attract people. Just my thoughts,

Erik

Brian Tymchak
12-16-2021, 9:27 AM
I wonder if those shows will actually be held. Omicron infection is doubling every 4 days, faster than Delta.

Warren Lake
12-16-2021, 10:38 AM
registered for the WWMS up here last night, think its in Feb. Will see what happens when we get there.

Edward Weber
12-16-2021, 10:44 AM
I used to enjoy those shows for a couple of years, (roughly 06-10) before there was a bit of a downward slide IMO. I know there was a change of ownership and some rearranging going on in the years that followed.
Once again, just as in the last decade, it seems that they're afraid to cross the Mississippi river and don't have any events listed for out west. I know it's a business decision but to leave out large cities like Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix and others seems like a missed opportunity.
https://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/

Brad Chenoweth
12-16-2021, 12:27 PM
I just checked their website. It shows all 2022 in-person events are cancelled.

Edward Weber
12-16-2021, 12:41 PM
I just checked their website. It shows all 2022 in-person events are cancelled.

That must have just happened, or I just didn't see it earlier.
Nothing to see here, move along

Justin Rapp
12-16-2021, 1:22 PM
I wonder if those shows will actually be held. Omicron infection is doubling every 4 days, faster than Delta.

you called it Brian. They just postponed them all.

https://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/events/