PDA

View Full Version : Sexist pedestrian lights

Bill Dufour
12-15-2021, 10:01 PM
I never knew the little green person letting us know it was safe to cross the street was sexist. I guess it is a nude male. so In Melborne Au they are changing it over to 50% girls in dresses and leaving the other 50% as sexless nude people.
Are there lots of nudist camps in Australia? Are women allowed to wear pants. Are women wearing pants allowed to cross the street or must they stay on their own block.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
12-15-2021, 10:46 PM
It's not just Australia:

It has been taking place all over the world. Look at the date on the image above.

Maybe the street light techs get a little overtime?

jtk

Warren Lake
12-16-2021, 12:16 AM
Your mistake is to try to understand the world.

Bill Dufour
12-16-2021, 12:23 AM
Maybe those are folks wearing kilts or in Australia more likely to be beach towels. Actually the one in the kilt does not look like they are walking. they look like they need to go pee.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
12-16-2021, 1:48 AM
Do you often see men in kilts with pony tails?

jtk

Jim Matthews
12-16-2021, 6:26 AM
Do you often see men in kilts with pony tails?

jtk

Indeedy, Diddy-do

Brian Elfert
12-16-2021, 9:00 AM
Don't people have more important things to worry about than what stick figures for walk signals look like? The female figure in the first post look fine, but the female figures in the second post are just way too stylized.

Maybe we should just go back to Walk and Don't Walk instead of figures. The movement to figures is supposed to help those who don't speak the native language like tourists from other countries.

Brian Tymchak
12-16-2021, 9:33 AM
Don't people have more important things to worry about than what stick figures for walk signals look like? The female figure in the first post look fine, but the female figures in the second post are just way too stylized.

Maybe we should just go back to Walk and Don't Walk instead of figures. The movement to figures is supposed to help those who don't speak the native language like tourists from other countries.

Agreed. I thought the idea was to have standardized figures around the globe to mitigate the language gaps.

David L Morse
12-16-2021, 9:43 AM
Don't people have more important things to worry about than what stick figures for walk signals look like?

The fact that this thread exists answers that question.:D

Malcolm McLeod
12-16-2021, 9:54 AM
Don't people have more important things to worry about ...?

Clearly an opportunity here, and automation to the rescue:

Using 3D laser scanners, optical sensors, facial recognition, web searching of social media for pedestrian bias, cloud-based behavioral analysis, and narrow beam polarized displays, we will overcome these catastrophic 1st world problems. After detecting a pedestrian approach, the system will present the ideal personalized holographic image to each individual - via the polarized display - with walking or standing; even animated, if analysis determines that this motion will not be deemed 'triggering'. I think I can even present the individual's pet as their preferred image - again, based on overall situational analysis. Please go ahead and mail your checks directly to me - US$3,012,743.00/ea. I have scooped up the Theranos programming staff and I'll deliver the system in no time.

Happiness achieved!:cool:

All touchless, of course; no nasty pressing of directional buttons and viral contamination.

Brian Elfert
12-16-2021, 10:17 AM
The fact that this thread exists answers that question.:D

It seems the thread is merely pointing out that some people in the world think this is an issue. It doesn't appear that Bill necessarily supports the change.

It is getting to the point that using male names, likenesses, and similar for anything is no longer allowed and must be changed.

Malcolm McLeod
12-16-2021, 10:36 AM
CHANGE ORDER #1 -
The Team was brainstorming and has come to me with an existential threat posed by the 2 or thirteen humans with absolutely no current social media presence. But they also posed two solutions: 1)microgravity sensors to determine these throwbacks' motion intentionality, detecting muscular tension and so intended direction, of course; or, 2)with a 37ms delay, we can invent a complete social media presence for any individual, enhancing it at every crosswalk. Seamlessly.

I made a judgement call, and will use both. Please add US$524,699.95/ea to your checks.

Sorry about the budget hit, but no one said high tech was cheap.

Jim Koepke
12-16-2021, 10:55 AM
Indeedy, Diddy-do

An invisible pony tail?

jtk

Ron Citerone
12-16-2021, 12:35 PM
Your mistake is to try to understand the world.

Coffee on the keyboards! LOL

andrew whicker
12-16-2021, 1:33 PM
I disagree with the initial assumption that the original stick figure is a 'sexless nude person'. We grew up drawing stick figures, using stick figures for bathrooms, etc etc. That's a false post change perspective.

Ronnie Hurst
12-17-2021, 8:41 AM
And nobody knows how those figures self identify, despite outward appearance! ...... I'm getting to be a dinasour.

Bill Dufour
12-17-2021, 10:31 AM
In Scotland do the male bathroom stick figures have a kilt?
Bill D.

Mark Bolton
12-17-2021, 11:17 AM

Correct. Wording in trade for universal figures/symbols is the multi-cultural norm now. Even in the US you have large populations that dont/cant read English and then tourists. I agree the figures in those images are a bit odd but we are asked to CNC odd mens/womens room signs pretty regularly. Forget about non-gender-specific poop holes.

Tom Stenzel
12-17-2021, 4:01 PM
When I start my car all manner of symbols, arrows and squiggly lines appear on the dashboard light up. After they finish testing they go out. That's fortunate since I haven't any idea what most of them mean.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the manufacturers have done careful studies and found symbols that are equally confusing in all languages.

Now they want to work on pedestrian lights. Red green color blindness afflicts men the most. So let's make the symbols more nebulous. I'm sure that will work out just fine. For the attack lawyers.

-Tom

Kev Williams
12-17-2021, 5:25 PM
Would this be so hard to do? ;)

Malcolm McLeod
12-17-2021, 6:40 PM
In Scotland do the male bathroom stick figures have a kilt?
Bill D.

A skirt covers the knee, a kilt does not. A simple distinction.:cool:

Dave Zellers
12-17-2021, 6:53 PM
A skirt covers the knee, a kilt does not.

Mini skirt?

Plus the pony tail is both sexist and racist. To some.

:eek: I guess the whole 'chill' vibe didn't catch on.

Bill Dufour
12-17-2021, 7:42 PM
A skirt covers the knee, a kilt does not. A simple distinction.:cool:

Thanks for the info. Are there lots of kilt cowboys in Texas? Those plaid horse blankets look like good kilt making material.
Bill D

Bill Dufour
12-17-2021, 7:48 PM
I am surprised they still allow green people, seems racist.
No freckles, perfect even skin tone. I do not know anyone with perfect skin like that,regardless of color, who is old enough to walk.
Bill D

Clifford McGuire
12-17-2021, 8:54 PM
Don't people have more important things to worry about than what stick figures for walk signals look like?

Whenever I see something like this, my first reaction is...how much does this cost the taxpayer???

Andrew Pitonyak
12-18-2021, 10:13 AM
Would this be so hard to do? ;)

So make them both nude!

Bill Dufour
12-18-2021, 10:44 AM
I do not see any feet so i guess I can ignore that sign. It is a good idea for people to get out and exercise especially when they have missing limbs. they need to be encouraged to get out and about more. Not just stay at home not exercising and feeling sorry for themselves.
Bill D

Kris Cook
12-18-2021, 2:56 PM
I can't believe I read this whole thing.

Jim Koepke
12-18-2021, 4:29 PM
I can't believe I read this whole thing.

Regrets? I've had a few… and this is one of them. :D

jtk

Tom Stenzel
12-18-2021, 5:35 PM
I am surprised they still allow green people, seems racist.
No freckles, perfect even skin tone. I do not know anyone with perfect skin like that,regardless of color, who is old enough to walk.
Bill D

Fortunately the green people are held in Area 51 by the government. Otherwise they would have complained, marched, demonstrated and then hired lawyers. They don't exist only to cross streets, you know. Plus using their likeness, they want compensation. And the people that crossed at those intersections need to pay a toll.

You're better off jaywalking.

-Tom

Malcolm McLeod
12-24-2021, 9:03 AM
Thanks for the info. Are there lots of kilt cowboys in Texas? Those plaid horse blankets look like good kilt making material.
Bill D

Mesquite thorns make chaps a requirement:eek: in Texas. I am not familiar with any chaps compatible with kilts, so we pretty much reserve our kilt wearing for oil drilling, gun fights, Friday night 2-stepping, and weddings and such.:cool:

Lucchese boots go great with a kilt! ...In case you're out shopping.:D