PDA

View Full Version : NYW pier table project???

Dan Lyman
01-16-2006, 11:59 AM
I watched Norm's pier table project. This was the first episode I have seen in a long time and it was very entertaining.

When it came time to attach the table top to the base, Norm used a Kreg Jig and pocket screws. I thought that pocket screws in this application would not be a good solution due to seasonal movement of the table top. If pocket screws are a good solution, I will definitely use them in the future.

So, what do you think? Any problems with this approach?

Thanks

Dan

Tom Pritchard
01-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Dan, I am far from an expert, but I have used the Kreg system to hold a cherry tabletop to a maple base, and I have had no problems with movement. I live in upstate New York (near Buffalo) and we have a wide swing of temperatures and humidity levels. I have also used them on shelves and racks, and again I have not had any problems with movement. I'm sure you will here from some other members who are more qualified than I to reply, this is just my humble experience! :o

Dan Lyman
01-16-2006, 4:11 PM
Tom,
I appreciate your first hand experience. You may not be as far from an expert as you think since you use the same method Norm used!

I have only used the metal clips for attaching table tops, but the pocket holes look to be much simpler. I'll give it a try next time......

Thanks
Dan

Tom Pritchard
01-17-2006, 7:26 AM
Thanks for the kind words Dan! I think that if you try them, you will like them! I used them to build my lumber rack, the hall table I told you about, and to hold a rock maple screwdriver rack to a plywood tool board. All installations were simple, and very strong! You can start with just a small kit like the Kreg MKJKIT Mini Kreg Jig Kit which goes for around $20.00. You would also need to pick up some pocket hole screws to go with it and you would be ready to give it a try. My #1 error when I started using it was to not clamp the jig tight enough to the piece I was working on. Once I learned that, I was on my way!:rolleyes: Good luck Dan!