PDA

View Full Version : worm hole repair

Brian Runau
12-15-2021, 9:09 AM
I have a hole in a piece of wood that would cause cause me to scrap 3-4ft of wood. It is 3-1/2 inches long and about 3/8" deep. I can hide it on the back of something, but my width cut is going to come close to the hole. Thinking about first filling the hole with epoxy. I use graphite powder to shade the epoxy black. Then I can mill it and if it comes near this hole I would have an edge. I was planning to use this as a stringer on a dresser and I can hid the hole on one of the bottom drawer stringers and put it in the back. It would never be seen.

Aside from throwing it away any other suggestions? It is about 3 ft from one end of the 8ft board. I need 36-1/2 finished. Either way I rough cut the board I get one good piece and this hole within the next piece.

Thanks.

Brian

Kevin Jenness
12-15-2021, 9:15 AM
I can hid the hole on one of the bottom drawer stringers and put it in the back. It would never be seen.

Unless the strength is seriously compromised I would use it.

Jim Becker
12-15-2021, 9:18 AM
I see no issues with your plan...filling prior to cutting to width can provide you some peace of mind if you feel that the component must be uniform. But if the edge can be hidden toward the inside of the project, I wouldn't bother with the extra effort. Just use it. Or set it aside for a future project. No need to discard/scrap it.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-15-2021, 9:45 AM
I'd make sure the worm/critter is gone.... I've had them emerge alive even after turning a bowl. You would think they would die from all that spinning.