PDA

View Full Version : What Face shield will clear peltor work tunes

Roger Feeley
12-14-2021, 8:51 AM
I wear the work tunes while turning because the lathe makes just enough noise that I can’t hear the radio. But the bionic shield really doesn’t clear the muffs very well.

so, what face shield will clear full size muffs?

David Walser
12-14-2021, 10:20 AM
I don't have a good answer for you. I use ISOtunes earbuds for most of my hearing protection needs. They fit in the ear and do not interfere with use of my face shield. For some operations, I wear ear muffs over the top of my earbuds. (I do this primarily so I can better hear a podcast or audible book. ISOtunes does not allow you to turn the volume above 85db. With my planer, for example, the earbuds work fine as hearing protection, but do not block the sound well-enough for me to clearly hear spoken-word content. My 60's/70's/80's classic rock content comes through just fine.) The headband of these ear muffs can be rotated to go over the top of the head or behind the head. With the band rotated behind the head, I can wear them with my face shield.

I have two sets of muffs that connect with Bluetooth to my phone. Unfortunately, neither allow the headband to be rotated behind the head. So, those muffs are seldom used.

HTH

tom lucas
12-14-2021, 11:46 AM
I use 3M BT cans over a Powercap shield. They fit nicely over that shield. But, it's a pretty expensive option. I do love my Powercap. Wearing a mask all day at work sure makes it nice not to have to in the shop. Worth every penny for comfort and safety.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-14-2021, 12:49 PM
I also don't have an exact answer, but I do have an alternative. Make your radio louder? Personally I like to hear the tool interact with the wood when I turn, so hearing protection isn't used. I don't think lathes make that much noise to cause hearing damage. But I could be wrong. When I'm in "the groove" the gouge makes a particular hissing sound......

So along those lines, my radio is a DeWalt Tough System radio. Pricey, retails at around $280 BUT it is one awesome radio. It is Bluetooth, and it lets notifications through, turns off the music when the phone rings, so you won't miss a notice or phone call. It gets loud and the sounds are clear. It's the only tool I use EVERY DAY. Guaranteed. Great investment. If you already have 20v DeWalt tools, it charges your battery, it runs off a battery and charges your phone.

Roger Feeley
12-16-2021, 4:07 PM
Thanks guys. I gave up and ordered another bionic.