PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - ????

Richard Gillespie
01-16-2006, 11:35 AM
I've turned several pens with Purple Heart. Everything looks good until I put the finish on. They've all turned darker and somewhat brown. My wife loves the color of the wood before I start the turning process.

Is there a finish such as CA glue that retains the original color of the wood? I've tried shellac and lacquer and know from flat work that polyurethane varnish turns that wood redder. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Stevener
01-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi Richard,
I have worked quite extensively with purple hart, not in use with pens, but other turnings. One thing I found is to wash down the turning several times with acetone, sanding lightly in between, before applying the finish. The finishes do not like the oil in the wood. I use urethane, as it has a UV inhibitor in it and tends to slow down the darkening process some what.
Purple heart like all woods will darken in time, however faster than others and somewhat taking the front row seat. Many times it just depends on the piece of purple heart you are working with. Funny stuff.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Keith Nielsen
01-16-2006, 5:26 PM
Hi Richard,

I've heard of the following but have not really tried it my self yet.

rub in a generous coating of Armor all directly into the sanded wood. Then Urethane coat it. The problem is light and UVA and UVB rays will age the wood thus darkening it. This should inhibit. the sun's rays and cut down on the aging process.

Let me know how it goes. Like I said I've heard about it but never got the chance to try it yet.

Keith

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 6:00 PM
Folks, varnishes made with urethane resins are NOT UV stable unless they are made for exterior use and have additives for that...and even then they don't last long. UV breaks down urethanes. (I'm not talking about the special automotive products which are a different animal altogether) The abrasion resistance of polyurethane also makes it less desirable for turnings if you are going to buff them...the very property they bring to the table makes the abrasion of buffing harder to do!

Harry Pye
01-17-2006, 12:08 AM
I read some place (and I can't remember where) that you can wipe a mild acid on Purpleheart and it will turn a cranberry color. Not some really dangerous acid but something readily available.

Wonder if anyone else can add to this?

Harry

John Hart
01-17-2006, 6:56 AM
I read some place (and I can't remember where) that you can wipe a mild acid on Purpleheart and it will turn a cranberry color. Not some really dangerous acid but something readily available.

Wonder if anyone else can add to this?

Harry

If that's true Harry, then Citric Acid should work (lemon juice for example). Interesting.

Bill Stevener
01-17-2006, 4:59 PM
Hi Richard,

Thought I would post a couple of photos of a Purple Heart coffee grinder I turned in early 2004.
When completed the entire grinder was purple, all of the same color.
The top and bottom was from one piece of 5/4", the center was from a 2"+ piece. Obviously not from the same cutting or tree.
The grinder sits on the kitchen counter and sees normal household light. Note the draw, it sees no light, however did not change like the exterior of the same piece of wood, go figure.
Urethane was used on the entire turning, an outdoor product. Polyurethane is an indoor product
Like I said, depends on the lumber, and or the tree. Funny stuff, some times you win and some times you don't.

Harry Pye
02-04-2006, 11:50 PM
I found the reference to treating Purpleheart with acid. It was in an article in the Spring 2004 edition of American Woodturner. I'd be happy to scan and post this one column article but don't know if it is legal or meets the SMC posting guidelines. Can one of the moderators help?

Harry

Curt Fuller
02-05-2006, 10:49 AM
I didn't see this post when I replied in the "Orange Oil" post so I'll give this another go. I haven't actually tried this so if someone does, maybe it should be on a scrap piece. But, I learned at our turning club meeting that a couple coats of Armor-All on Purpleheart will keep it from loosing its purple. The UV inhibitors in the Armor-all penetrate the wood and then you can put a regular finish over the Armor-all. I don't have any Purpleheart on hand to try it but I'd love to hear someone else's results.

Curt Fuller
02-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi Richard,

Thought I would post a couple of photos of a Purple Heart coffee grinder I turned in early 2004.
When completed the entire grinder was purple, all of the same color.
The top and bottom was from one piece of 5/4", the center was from a 2"+ piece. Obviously not from the same cutting or tree.
The grinder sits on the kitchen counter and sees normal household light. Note the draw, it sees no light, however did not change like the exterior of the same piece of wood, go figure.
Urethane was used on the entire turning, an outdoor product. Polyurethane is an indoor product
Like I said, depends on the lumber, and or the tree. Funny stuff, some times you win and some times you don't.

That's a very cool coffee grinder!

Jim Ketron
02-05-2006, 11:17 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
Wonder if the Armor All would help Box Elder with red flame also?

Keith Outten
02-06-2006, 12:40 AM
I found the reference to treating Purpleheart with acid. It was in an article in the Spring 2004 edition of American Woodturner. I'd be happy to scan and post this one column article but don't know if it is legal or meets the SMC posting guidelines. Can one of the moderators help?

Harry

Harry,

I expect that the article you mentioned is copyrite material, you would need permission from AW to post the article here.

Gil Jones
02-06-2006, 1:11 AM
Is it permissible to post a link to the article?