PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell lathe with left hand threads

Kenneth Blackwell
12-12-2021, 1:26 PM
I have recently purchased an older Rockwell lathe that the out port side of the spindle for the chuck is left-hand threads. I have been unable to locate a faceplate for Chuck with left-hand threads. Probably the best thing would be an adapter to convert it over to right hand threads so modern plates and Chuck's will fit but haven't been able to locate that either. Anyone have any ideas where I might find these?

Mike Delyster
12-12-2021, 2:00 PM
Look up Oneway Manufacturing. You can order their chucks with the 1”X8TPI RH/LH adaptors to fit your lathe. They also have faceplates that will fit both the 1” LH and RH threads.

Bill Dufour
12-12-2021, 2:51 PM
right hand threads on the outboard end is self unlocking. Start up the lathe and watch the faceplate sit still until it flys off into your face. I am not aware of any lathe that has reverse spindle rotation as a option.
Bill D

Kevin Jenness
12-12-2021, 2:58 PM
Plenty of lathes have reverse rotation, but not a good idea to use with a faceplate. Some chucks like Oneway have a grub screw to lock onto a shoulder on the spindle to prevent launching- mainly used in reverse for sanding I think.

John K Jordan
12-12-2021, 5:34 PM
Teknatool has an insert for the Nova chucks for left hand threads and another that will work for either left or right-hand threads

https://www.teknatool.com/products/chuck-accessories/nova-chuck-inserts/nova-chuck-insertsadaptors/

Eugene Dixon
12-13-2021, 9:53 AM
My 40's model Rockwell lathe has left hand threads outboard and right hand threads inside on the headstock. Fortunately, when I got it, it came with a faceplate that works on either end. Threads are cut in such a way it screws on right or left. Showed this to a very experienced machinists at the university I was at in NC and it was his first time to see that. Works fine.

Perry Hilbert Jr
12-13-2021, 10:47 AM
My 1980's floor Model 46-525 had LH threads (1 x 8) on the outboard side. There are Delta face plates with both threads for sale on ebay at least once a month. There is currently a 6 inch with lh-rh threads for $57.99 with free shipping. Listed as Delta part no DDL-179. Got mine on ebay. Picked up a Delta outboard tool rest on Craigs list and also a Delta duplicator for the lathe. Still looking for the compound table that they offered as an option to also do light metal turning. (Not that I would turn metal, except rarely.)

Some people offer the face plates with dual threads without knowing it. Get a copy of the Delta owner's manual and parts list. It may have the model number for the face plate with both threads.