PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
01-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

Spent Friday and Saturday splitting and stacking firewood, so now we're good to go for the rest of the winter....IF...winter ever really shows up here in Conway. :rolleyes:

Spent about 2 hours in the shop after church on Sunday. Roughed out 2 Yellow Poplar bowls and put them in the Alchy Bath.

Spent some time researching various music items for practicing my bass guitar with...Band-In-A-Box does look promising.

I'm BACK OnCall this week...so it's NOT going to be a very good week.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
01-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Spent the weekend in Columbus with my brother and his wife. Friday we went to the Woodworking show which was kind of disappointing as it really was no different than the Detroit show. The lumber dealers that were there were just handing out fliers and business cards. Saturday we went to Woodwerks which was having an in-store show that was much better. I did pick up some supplies at both shows and a Make-It-Snappy (http://www.snappytools.com/products/)system at the Woodworking Show

Tyler Howell
01-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey Dennis,
We've already discussed that "on-Call" business. Sorry to hear it,
Productive weekend. Had a paint crew in. "people Who owe favors" and knocked out a large portion on prep and paint for the home remuttle. Milled up some trim for the projects and redid some of the trim I wasn't happy with. It's coming along.
Have a safe week.;)

Rick de Roque
01-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Finished my cherry blanket chest (already posted) put a new link belt on my bandsaw (runs smoother) made two small computer stands for the two computer towers in the den. fixed the toilet in the kids bathroom. all in all a productive weekend.

rick

Tom Hamilton
01-16-2006, 11:22 AM
We had unusually nice weather in Houston, dry air from the north and about 75. Lovely. :)

So we took advantage of the day and cleaned up some of the garden; moved some plants to a (hopefully) more advantageous spot; and whacked some azalea's that had decided to move on the azalea heaven.

After church on Sunday got a little shop time and started a rehab of a chair that was in my Sunday School class in Muncie IN in the 1950's.

After a cleaning to get the grunge off, it's been hanging on a nail in 4 differnet garages for 30 years, I gave it a light sanding and loosened the old glue in the sockets with a chisel.

The back is secured with wedges up from the bottom, so I think I'll replace those, give it a fresh coat of stain, and then varnish.

The chair will go the the youngest granddaughter, 18 months. She can drag it around the house and use it as a stool to help mom in the kitchen.

Had the granddaughter's (and their parents) for Sunday night dinner,
and watched 24!

Nice weekend. All the best, Tom ;)

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Dennis, you insured that winter will be mild when you put in that new wood stove! ;)
-----

My weekend did include some "woodworking" time with my oldest daughter (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29416) as well as some cleanup time and work outfitting my grinder for more precision (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29504). We also saw "Hoodwinked" yesterday at the cinema...an interesting take on Little Red Riding Hood. Quite funny, especially for an adult that remembers many of the story references.

Have a nice week, folks!

Ed Frie
01-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I bought 250 board feet of rough lumber from a local guy with a small saw mill. Some 4/4 red oak, some 4/4 hard maple, even more 4/4 and 8/4 ash. All pretty good looking wood, all 8 ft lengths and some 18in widths. All shed-dried.:)

He charges from $1.25 to $1.50 per bd/ft (species based) so he rounded it to $1.30. Total was about $330. And he is a very nice guy who lets you pick through the pallets.
Bought as much as I felt safe hauling in my Explorer.:eek:

I would send pictures but I need to get a decent camera. Sorry.:(

David Wilson
01-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Got a good start on the kayak project. All frames are cut out. Also got the parts cut and routed for the 12' box beam for the strongback. Hope to be paddeling by spring.

Pete Harbin
01-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Tidying up the house! My sister arrives today to meet the new baby and then the in-laws come in another week to stay for a couple of weeks.
I'm thinking of telling them that the best thing they can do for our new boy is pull weeds in the back...think they'll buy it? :D

Pete

Tom Cooney
01-16-2006, 11:43 AM
The weather sucked outside...wet turning to ice on Saturday and single digit temperatures on Sunday. A great two days to bum around in the gar..shop.:D

Saturday began with a coat of pastwax on all metal surfaces. The water from the kerosene heaters wreaks havok on the cast iron. I finished the drawers for a sewing cabinet (Rockler plans) that I'm making for the wife. I also started milling up some red maple to make an overarm blade guard for the tablesaw. I've been running naked with just a splitter for too long. I used some scrap baltic birch for the head assembly.

I plan on having the guard finished next weekend. Then on to some shaker night tables.

Tom

Zahid Naqvi
01-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Let's see. finished my on-call this Friday, me and Dennis are in the same business unit but different teams, so I am on a different on-call rotation. No WW'ing projects in sight so I am spending weekends doing things around the house and spending time with the kids.

Tom, I just noticed that you are from Syracuse. I went to SU, class of '98(post grad) from School of information studies.

Dennis Peacock
01-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Dennis, you insured that winter will be mild when you put in that new wood stove! ;)
-----

:rolleyes: Figgers...!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Kevin Post
01-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Both of my sons had games on Saturday morning. Then, we traveled to Minneapolis for an NHL game. Unfortunately, the Minnesota Wild lost to Calgary. During the first intermission my 5 year-old son played a mini-game with some other kids from his team. Here's a link to some video on the Wild web site: Little Chippers (http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/wild/wmedia/chippers_jan_14_2006.wvx). It's pretty cute to watch them play when they're so little.

The Xcel Energy Center where the Wild play is just around the corner from Seven Corners Hardware. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go drool on any of the tools.

Jim Fancher
01-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Trim, trim, trim ... base, door casing, etc.

Frank Pellow
01-16-2006, 12:17 PM
I spent a great (long for us) weekend with my friend Terry West working on a oak cabinet that we are building for him. We finished the building phase and now only the finishing (which Terry will do at home) is left. See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29501

I also started replacing another lower cupboard in my kitchen with drawers. The set of drawers that I built and installed last week is described in the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29405

Steve Braman
01-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Discovered a leak under the dishwasher Friday night. We were getting ready for a Sat party at the house so put off tracking it down. Sunday revealed that the connector on the pump was only half on the flange. Water has been running under my cabinets for months and out through a random hole cut under the sink. Found the problem when the cork floor got all spongy an water started coming out of the seams. Looks like the kitchen remodel might come sooner than planned and include a new floor in the process.

On a better note I was told we need a little storage bench by the hall closet. Bad news - my design was unacceptable. Good news - I found similar plans that someone had "published" that were OK. Someday I'll be given the authority to design something other than a wall. Little steps, I guess.

Jim O'Dell
01-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I chronicled my weekend on my shop rehab thread. I did finish the major reworking to be able to cut out the next ceiling joist to clear the intake duct for the cyclone. I still need to cut and put up some plywood to help strengthen this area, then I'll be back to where I was before I got the great idea to move the cyclone!! Still enjoyed my time in the shop. I've moved my TS and DP out there, just have to run them off of extension cords still. But at least I was cutting wood in the SHOP! Jim

Rob Horton
01-16-2006, 1:01 PM
Bought a new fridge, from Lowes, for the LOML this weekend and watch the workers install it ;) I hooked up the water line and that was about it.

Going to be starting on her anniversary present next weekend which is to build a walk-in pantry downstairs - should be fun. Never built a room before. But I've been studying on it for awhile now do hopefully things should go okay.

Jim Hager
01-16-2006, 1:05 PM
Continued work on a customers kitchen that I have going. It is out of maple and is a 34 footer. This weekend I did 29 maple rp doors and 17 paneled drawer fronts and the paneled ends and also have the bar-back laid out to do sometime this week.

I'm gonna have to lay this project back for next weekend as I have 2 orders of doors to do for some contractors. Where is my winter slowdown????:rolleyes:

Don Dean
01-16-2006, 1:23 PM
Spent the last week and the weekend continuing to set up my shop. Now have my table saw, jointer, planer, miter saw, sanding station, dust filter, dust collector all set up. Will post pics and information on equipment when shop is complete.

JayStPeter
01-16-2006, 1:52 PM
Actually got a little shop time this weekend. I built some scrap shelves in one of my cabinets that I've been piling scrap in. Now, more scrap can fit. I needed that so I could move some piles of scrap out of the way to work on my spray booth. I had to start trim out on my window so I could mount a fan in it. Fan is now mounted. I think I now have everything in place to setup the spray booth. Since today is a day off for me, I might get a little more time to actually setup the booth. After that ... who knows when I'll get more shop time :rolleyes: .

Jay

Mike Zozakiewicz
01-16-2006, 2:11 PM
Not much shop time this weekend, grandson's birthday party. Ate too much -- my step daughter is a good cook!. Starting to make a jig for box joints for some small projects for mom, loml and step daughter. Should start on those next weekend.

Mike

Leland Hupp
01-16-2006, 2:21 PM
Hi Dennis
I have a dumb question .What is a Alchy Bath? Is it a brew to keep wood from drying too rapidly?
Have a nice day Lee

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 3:22 PM
I have a dumb question .What is a Alchy Bath? Is it a brew to keep wood from drying too rapidly?

Leland, welcome to SMC. The technique that was referred to is often discussed in the Turning Forum(s) as a method to quickly take a rough turned object to "ready for final turning" by soaking in alcohol over night. This generally prevents cracking as the alcohol helps to displace moisture in an organized fashion quickly.

Corey Hallagan
01-16-2006, 3:49 PM
I fired up the mini lathe for the first time and made a little spindle and followed it up today with some practice and a nice round dowell. Just a beginner!

Corey

Dick Aubochon
01-16-2006, 4:43 PM
Put the finishing touches on two boxes and started a third. Oh yeah, spent some money at the Springfield. I bought a Keller Dovetail jig system. Seemed quick, and with the number of boxes I've been making will save a lot of time on the through dovetails. Also, it looked cool :) . Now I have to start filling some Adirondack orders for the summer.

Maurice Metzger
01-16-2006, 4:48 PM
In between chores I spent some not-such-quality time with the sharpening stones. I reprofiled some chrome-manganese steel chisels to 30 degrees to enable easier freehand sharpening without a micro-bevel. I now truly understand what Bob Smalser means by "gummy" steel.

And I made progress on flattening the backs of two Veritas replacement plane blades. Phew! Think I'll stay away from A2 steel for a while...

Hopefully I can have some fun with these implements next weekend.

- Maurice

Vaughn McMillan
01-16-2006, 5:12 PM
Got my new Grizzly G1182HW (6") jointer assembled and adjusted. (No pics yet, so this doesn't count as a gloat.) I bought it before the end of the year, when Griz had it priced to move out the door in preparation for the new models. I had some trouble aligning the drive belt, and ended up having to reverse the pully wheel on the cutter head to get things lined up. Also, I was unable to get the motor square to the rest of the machine when using the drive belt that was provided, so I picked up a link belt and made it into bit longer length, and that solved the problem. After these minor wrestling matches, I'm happy with the end result, and I'm looking forward to having a jointer available.

Of course the first thing I did after setting up my 6" jointer was go buy some 8" cherry and padauk for a project I'm working on (the re-do of the quilt cutting board). Actually, I didn't need to face joint any of it, but I did see the irony in the purchase. (Especially after seeing Josh's post this weekend about buying a used 8" jointer for just a bit more than I paid for my 6". Ah well, there's no way I can fit an 8" jointer in my current shop set-up.) Also found some pretty quilted maple that had to come home with me.

Other shop time was spent boxing up my old benchtop bandsaw, so I can ship it to my ex-wife, who figures a little bandsaw is better than none at all. The jointer box trimmed down nicely to fit the bandsaw.

I also got started reading a stack of box-making books loaned to me by a fellow Creeker. (Thanks Dave.) Some of these box projects areamazing.

The rest if the weekend was spent doing house chores, and visiting my (future) MIL in the hospital. (She fell and broke a hip a bit more than a week ago.) Also lended a shoulder to a good friend who had to put down her cat (after 18 years). Sort of a tough weekend emotionally for several of us.

Now it's back to the salt mines...working on Japanese, French, Spanish, German and Italian User Manuals and Help systems for our main product.

-Vaughn

Reg Mitchell
01-16-2006, 8:00 PM
Worked at my regular job Sat. Started to finish a project Sun. but instead I took apart the Oliver and started getting it ready to paint. I'm sure there are gonna be a few more weekends at that too.:cool:

Pete Harbin
01-16-2006, 8:18 PM
Kevin, that is Awesome! I bet your boy will never foget playing in an NHL barn...until he's in the pro's that is! :D

I can't wait for Ty to begin playing hockey. Do you coach your boy's team?

Pete

Fred Voorhees
01-16-2006, 9:14 PM
Got started on my workbench renovation/upgrade and have half of it done. That half includes the "built-in" portion for the new DeWalt planer, using the bench itself as an in-feed and out-feed table which now gives me 8 or 9 feet of outfeed and upwards of around twenty feet of in-feed, though that doesn't mean squat with eight or nine feet limits on the out-feed. I will post a complete photo essay of the entire workbench project when completed.

Also began the final stages of the corner hutch deal. The big challenge of arched top doors was up and it went well with using a template to rout the rounded segments and gluing them up using a mixture of clamps. Pics will follow soon.

john mclane
01-16-2006, 9:27 PM
Had a trip to Cape Cod on Saturday in the pouring rain. On Sunday put the stain on the quilt holder I'm building. Also made a fairly large wood bin (2 ft cubed) on rollers for the scrape wood.

David Fried
01-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Since it was between 8 and 20 degrees in the shop this weekend I spent zero time in the shop.

Instead, my son and I headed over to the Connecticut Historical Society to see thier exhibit "Connecticut Valley Furniture by Eliphalet Chapin and His Contemporaries, 1750-1800". It was a small exhibit but a few very nice pieces. You couldn't touch but they allowed me to get very close and even lay down to peek underneath. No photography was allowed but when I explained about the picture police they allowed me to take a couple.

This is a Maghogany Sideboard with Tulip Poplar inlay from Aaron Chapin's Shop, dated 1805.

This is a Desk & Bookcase with removable Scrolled Pediment in Cherry probably from Silas Pice's Shop in Wallingford, 1790-1810.

(That should make Tyler happy!)

Dave Fried

Michael Ballent
01-16-2006, 11:35 PM
No WW for me... :( Spent the entire weekend copying a database and I am still working on the dumb thing...

Thomas Prondzinski
01-17-2006, 7:16 AM
Took Friday off,went to fill the corn wagon with125 bushels should get me to spring. Sat went to rocklers for some router bits.sunday worked on dresser for a customer.Pretty good weekend.

Tom

Tom Drake
01-17-2006, 7:50 AM
I spent the weekend working on the new cherry kitchen cabs for my wife. Hope to have them finished in a couple of weeks.

Scott Coffelt
01-17-2006, 2:46 PM
I had a three day weekend, something new this year is I get MLK day off. Kind of nice, though weird that I would be back at work after the end of year holidays and then have another day off so soon.

Anyways, I really had planned to get tons of shop time in, though I got some not nearly as I wanted. Instead I decided to repaint our guest bathroom. That took a good part of the day on Saturday. We went with a medium blue, so it darkened up the BR. For some reason, the builder did not put a light in above the toilet, so it can get darker in that corner....not really sure why you need light other than to read... I digress, so Sunday I was off to Lowes to buy a remodel can light fixture. Spent part of the day climbing in and out of the attic to locate properly, cut, install and wire to existing fixture.

After painting the walls, realized the vanity and trim looked awful due to aging white oil based paint, so got that all painted Sunday and Monday. We have changed out our door hardware to brushed steel, so of course that meant the old handles and hinges had to go. So over the three days I had to make two trips to the local locks and pulls store to get what I wanted. Tidied everything up Monday. Man, it sure takes time to re-installed towel bars, electrical plates, hinges, knobs, shower rods, and clean up your mess. I got into the shop about mid-afternoon to do some cleaning and then it was off to pick up the boy from Pre-school.

So in the end I got nothing done off my original planned list of to do's in the shop. Maybe I can sneak into the shop this week and catch up.