PDA

View Full Version : ????Remove Rust On Steel Router Table

Howard Rosenberg
07-18-2003, 4:05 PM
Hi all - my router table has BIG BIG rust on it!! Something must have run/leaked onto it. It's the Veritas steel ubnit. How can I SAFELY remove this rust?? Thank you. Howard

David Rose
07-18-2003, 4:45 PM
Howard, that is a bummer! Try using a penetrating oil like Kroil or anything that has rust removal properties with a maroon 3M abrasive pad. If you have deep pitting with heavy, scaley rust, it probably will only get some of that. I have used the abrasive pad setting a ROS on it and running at low speed for stubborn places. Just go easy.

David

Hi all - my router table has BIG BIG rust on it!! Something must have run/leaked onto it. It's the Veritas steel ubnit. How can I SAFELY remove this rust?? Thank you. Howard

Ed Falis
07-18-2003, 5:41 PM

Well, when my gf's dog took a piss on my Veritas top, before I got it downstairs to set up (GRRR), I pretty much followed the same steps as for cast iron: scrape with a razor blade, spray on WD-40 and hit it with an abrasive pad on a ROS, followed by wax. Didn't come out brand new looking, but plenty usable.

- Ed