PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Dovetail Jig Fingers Catching Router Base

Mike Shields
12-11-2021, 3:20 PM
I started using the Festool OF-1400 for my first attempts at dovetails with the Leigh jig. I noticed immediately the the router was binding/catching somewhere, and was preventing a complete cut (from front to back).
The fingers on the Leigh jig have a lip, and this is what's causing the problem. Having to rock the router to get up over the lip, and then have it fall back down (even if it is 1 or 2 mm), makes for a precarious-feeling cut when i got a high speed cutter within fractions of an inch from metal.

I've got two routers that are doing the same thing. Does anyone have a suggestion for a fix to make this cut go smoothly?

Lee Schierer
12-11-2021, 5:23 PM
Have you contacted Leigh about the problem?

Kevin Jenness
12-11-2021, 6:18 PM
Looks like they might have skipped a machining step on those fingers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmxiiOR6lAE I'm sure Leigh will make it right.

Paul Haus
12-11-2021, 6:22 PM
Have you ever used the Leigh jig and did it work with a different router? If it worked with one router then it's router related. If everything is new, then it's a matter of diagnosing the entire setup.

Derek Arita
12-11-2021, 6:26 PM
Which Leigh Jig is it? I have the D4R Pro and don't recall that raised strip. Is that a raised strip or is it the edge of a recess?

johnny means
12-11-2021, 6:41 PM
There is no machining on the fingers. I'd run a file across the surface and knock down that lip.