PDA

View Full Version : mounting speakers on the wall

Warren Lake
12-11-2021, 3:43 AM
I have past speakers sitting around dead that need to be rebuilt and like to find a good way to mount them on the wall most likely in corners of the room, two at each end so four.

Two are revox and pretty heavy. two are missions and bit lighter. I dont want them on the floor as I want the floor space for other things. Thinking likely something I weld up. I think the room is about 15 x 32 feet. Have cheaper speakers in the main machine room not quite as far apart and only 2 but it still sounds pretty good, the distance between that is having them far apart on the long dimension makes a nice difference

Does anyone do reconing themselves or always take them in, or just replace old drivers. I dont need state of the art now just decent will be fine. Both of these speakers were decent at the time but it was way in the past likely had both about 35 years on them'

David Publicover
12-11-2021, 6:40 AM
I’ve not re-coned speakers myself but I have had it done. It was inexpensive enough at the time that I didn’t bother with DIY. I don’t think it’s particularly complicated and I did find cone’s online quite easily for my old Infinity’s.
My workshop speakers end up perched on shelves or cabinets to get out of the way. Careful placement for separation, sound staging or bass response gets saved for my other setups.
Good luck!

Lisa Starr
12-11-2021, 7:06 AM
Mount them to the ceiling instead of the walls. Here is a photo of the Paradigms mounted in one of our shops. The brackets took a little time to design, but were easily made once the template was fitted.

Jim Becker
12-11-2021, 11:24 AM
For this application, I've typically used a small metal mounting setup that's more or less the equivalent of a French Cleat with soft pads on the corners of the speakers to reduce any vibration transfer to the wall.

Warren Lake
12-11-2021, 8:24 PM
that would make sense. If they sit on something I can use a special vibration stuff that a friend makes. In the main machine room I remember i screwed a chunk of wood into the speaker then it extended above the cabient and that was screwed into the wall or a 2 x 10.

I had started thinking of welding something up., The advantage to them sitting on something with Brians stuff is they would float more rather than be attached totally. The missions are probably over three feet tall will have to check. I should be building speakers I did 40 years ago but right now using stuff I have makes more sense. I had pretty hip speakers back then Five way falcon design mostly kef stuff but others. Tweater that was so high end and super soft. Oldfields Tubular bells were somewhere in the room. not up on it anymore but will get back to it.

Kev Williams
12-12-2021, 12:30 AM
macrame-

google pic--

Jim Becker
12-12-2021, 8:39 AM
Warren, the nice thing about some kind of cleat system is that it can easily be scaled up and down to properly support the weight while providing a surface that you can use the thin, sound abatement material you mention to reduce direct vibration transfer.

Bill Dufour
12-17-2021, 7:45 PM
I thought you were supposed to hang them by chain from the ceiling to limit vibration transfer. Of course JC Whitney used to sell speakers, sans cone, to screw to the door panels to shake you entire car. I guess that is supposed to impress the girls somehow..
Bill D

Mike Soaper
12-17-2021, 9:47 PM
My take is that many speakers do not sound as good as they could when placed directly against a wall, although some are designed for against the wall placement

Samantha Langley
12-18-2021, 5:14 AM
Mount them to the ceiling instead of the walls.

if they are on the ceiling how can you sit somewhere so they are direct the stereo sound towards you?

Bill Dufour
12-18-2021, 10:47 AM
Hang them angled down towards the listening area.
B ill D

Kev Williams
12-18-2021, 1:16 PM
My take is that many speakers do not sound as good as they could when placed directly against a wall, although some are designed for against the wall placement
Good 'surround sound' systems (like my 40 year old Carver Sonic Holography setup) won't work right if speakers are too close to walls, reflections kill the surround image. Most people, honestly, won't notice or don't care that much about true high fidelity, but when my system is properly set up, when someone sitting in 'the chair' is listening to their favorite music with their eyes closed, they simply cannot point to the speakers; the music comes from everywhere...

mike stenson
12-18-2021, 1:35 PM
Speakers in my shop are wall mounted, but then again I'm not doing any critical listening in my shop. I just like to have background music, that doesn't sound bad.

Bruce Wrenn
12-18-2021, 8:26 PM
What about using wall mounts for TV's. This way you could adjust the angle to suit your needs

Jim Becker
12-19-2021, 10:33 AM
What about using wall mounts for TV's. This way you could adjust the angle to suit your needs

I would be concerned with vibration...even the heaviest mounts wiggle.

Warren Lake
12-19-2021, 12:31 PM
I havent forgotten just side tracked with other stuff, turns out John Lennon was right.