PDA

View Full Version : BS Blade Sharpening in North AL

Jack Wood
01-16-2006, 6:49 AM
How much should it cost to have a BS blade sharpened? I have a Timber Wolf that I've had for a while and I believe it needs it. The big problem is finding someone here in the Huntsville AL area to do it, any suggestions?
THANKS!

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 10:37 AM
They are considered disposables and don't generally get sharpened. (The exception being carbide tipped band saw blades) It would cost more to sharpen them in labor than the cost of a new blade. (Especially when you buy them direct from Suffolk) Keep an assortment of sizes ready to use and for the one size/configuration you use the most, have an extra on hand to switch to when the "primary" goes bad.

Ernie Hobbs
01-16-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't know where in Huntsville but if you find out, please let me know. I'm most interested in getting my hand saws sharpened.

Steve Clardy
01-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Find someone with a Woodmizer bandmill. They generally have a sharpening system that is optional.
I had one when I had my LT-30 mill.
I could sharpen my BS blades also.

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 11:26 AM
If you do try to resharpen, remember that much of the "damage" to a bandsaw from use has to do with the tooth set getting skewed. Just making the tips sharp again is only part of the picture and the reason that the labor is such a pain.

Jack Wood
01-16-2006, 3:31 PM
Jim that's what I thought would be the case but I wanted to at least try to "recycle" :rolleyes: Any ideas on what to do with the old blade? Seems a shame to trash it. Do you have a link for "Suffolk"? THANKS!

Steve Clardy
01-16-2006, 4:12 PM
Teeth can be reset also.

I give my old band and saw blades to a local, who makes custom lamanited knives.

Wes Bischel
01-16-2006, 4:17 PM
Jack,

Just in case Jim isn't around, here's the info you requested.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/default.asp
To order call:
Our hours are:

Mon-Fri 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM EST
SAT 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Phone: 800-234-7297

Good luck,

Wes

Jack Wood
01-16-2006, 5:50 PM
Thanks Wes!

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 5:53 PM
Jack, I actually do "trash" the old blades, although I suppose you could use the wider ones (in pieces) for something creative. If you do throw them out, be sure and truss them up good so they don't go "boing" in the trash hauler's face... ;)

Steve Clardy
01-16-2006, 8:20 PM
Jack, I actually do "trash" the old blades, although I suppose you could use the wider ones (in pieces) for something creative. If you do throw them out, be sure and truss them up good so they don't go "boing" in the trash hauler's face... ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: Oof!!!!! That'd be tough to take.:eek:

I usually step on them, fold them up:)

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 8:46 PM
Yea, Steve...even a "dull" blade is pretty darn sharp when it hits you in the face...or other parts... ;)