PDA

View Full Version : Best sanding belt cleaners?

Brian Tymchak
12-06-2021, 8:09 AM
Morning all,

I've been spending a lot of time at my stationary sander lately, cranking out wood blocks for young children. Consequently, I've been using up rubber stick belt cleaners pretty quickly. I recently bought PowerTec sticks and noticed they were not nearly as dense as an older stick I had for years. And as expected I went thru those sticks in pretty short order. I wish I could remember the brand of that old stick and where I got it.

So, the request to the collective is what cleaner sticks do you recommend?

I'm running the typical aluminum oxide belts, if that might matter.

Thanks!

Scott T Smith
12-06-2021, 11:27 AM
Brian, we use a sanding belt cleaning service that based about an hour from us. As I recall, it costs us around 8 bucks a belt for our 52" wide belts. They do an outstanding job.

Warren Lake
12-06-2021, 12:31 PM
Ive used an old Wallabee shoe for over 40 years works great though when i walk im lop sided.

Mark Bolton
12-06-2021, 2:33 PM
Other than the conventional sticks and flipping them occasionally running them against the assigned rotation, the best cleaning solution Ive found to get them cutting like new again is unfortunately the trash can. I order edge sander belts from Industrial Abrasives in PA and keep a good bit on hand when we are going to be using them regularly.

Trying to stretch the life has never proven cost effective for our 6x99's

Erik Loza
12-06-2021, 3:00 PM
Yes: The "shop" answer would be to just buy more belts. What is your time worth? Sanding or rubber blocking?

Erik

Warren Lake
12-06-2021, 3:37 PM
6" x 310" it takes 30 seconds to clean a belt, wallabee siting withing arms reach of where I stand on the machine machine running, it makes an instant difference,

Brian Tymchak
12-06-2021, 8:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not a pro, and this particular work is all volunteer effort on my part, so no value to assign for my time.

As far as the business case goes, I estimate that cleaning the belts frequently is giving me at least 5x belt life. Belts (6×48) cost me $12, the cleaning sticks are about $9, and for discussion purposes, let's say I use 1 cleaning stick to get me those 4 additional belt lifes. Pretty easy math to see there's a benefit to cleaning the belts. It takes me less than a minute to give the belt a thorough cleaning, so I'm not losing any appreciable productivity.

But my original post was to find a denser cleaning stick like I used to have to give me better economics since this is all volunteer work. I think the denser stick also cleaned faster.

Warren Lake
12-07-2021, 2:55 AM
never used a cleaning stick but ive likely used one wallabee if not I used up one up and this is the second one. The rubber on these things is sticky like crazy. I dont know why I tried one of these but they work great.

Kevin Jenness
12-07-2021, 7:13 AM
Mine came from Industrial Abrasives.

I find it useful for resinous woods. With the domestic hardwoods I use, by the time the belt is loaded it often is also dull and needs changed. Sometimes one or two cleanings are worth it, depending on the wood. Doesn't take long, but running a dull belt certainly does.

Joe Calhoon
12-07-2021, 7:45 AM
The high pressure car wash works well for cleaning cloth belts gummed up with pitch. Especially wide belts. When the belts are dull from running hardwood they are shot and need replacement.

Kevin Jenness
12-07-2021, 8:05 AM
Joe, do you use any cleaning agent, or just high pressure hot water?

Joe Calhoon
12-07-2021, 8:12 AM
Kevin, just hot water with soap at the car wash then rinse. I have a cold water pressure washer at home but have not tried that on belts.

Joe Calhoon
12-07-2021, 8:18 AM
I hang the belts on the clips that hold floor mats.

Stewart Lang
12-07-2021, 10:08 AM
Simple green works amazingly for cleaning any sanding discs or belts. Even burnt-on gunk just falls off. Takes a little more work, but if you want a 100% thorough clean, it's the way to go.

Mel Fulks
12-07-2021, 10:29 AM
Kindt- Collins, pitch solvent.

Warren Lake
12-07-2021, 12:21 PM
whats a stationary sander?

Brian Tymchak
12-07-2021, 2:45 PM
never used a cleaning stick but ive likely used one wallabee if not I used up one up and this is the second one. The rubber on these things is sticky like crazy. I dont know why I tried one of these but they work great.

I thought you were kidding... :)

Brian Tymchak
12-07-2021, 2:51 PM
whats a stationary sander?

Here's what I'm using. I've always called it a stationary sander. Maybe that's not right?

https://beavertools.com/708599k-jet-jsg-6dck-6-inch-x-48-inch-belt-12-inch-disc-sander-with-open-stand-woodworking.html

I can't believe those combo sanders are going for $1700..:eek: I paid less than $500 10-12 years ago. Good to know I guess if I ever have to liquidate.

Andrew Pitonyak
12-07-2021, 3:26 PM
I read that you can use sneakers. Never having tried it I cannot comment. I never need to do something that large so I just use my cleaning sticks meant for the purpose.

The thought is that you might be able to find used sneakers cheap or free.

Warren Lake
12-07-2021, 4:27 PM
I have an Edge sander a stroke sander and a small wide belt they are all stationary sanders so that is why I was asking. I have one of those as well but not up and running. The old wallabee would work excellent on that machine. You clean you as go. It sticks like crazy and hardly wears, you have to hold on well. Its fast. Take longer to change a belt.

If I ever use up the wallabee ill try those sticks to see if they are as good.

Bernie Kopfer
12-07-2021, 10:50 PM
I give. What’s a Wallabee?

Warren Lake
12-07-2021, 11:00 PM
its a old school shoe. I found the second one more worn then the first post 8 photo