PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Watching Christmas Movies?

Jim Koepke
12-04-2021, 4:27 PM
What Christmas Movies are you watching?

Most of ours are in our DVD library.

We have so far watched:

Miracle on 34th Street
Die Hard 1 & 2 (they happened over Christmas holidays)
We're No Angels (Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov 1955)
While You were Sleeping

Plan to watch:
Four or five versions of A Christmas Carol plus Scrooged (There are a couple versions from the 1930s we enjoy plus the Alister Sim version of course and also the Patrick Stewart version.)
The Bishop's Wife
The Santa Clause
Bell, Book & Candle
Sleepless in Seattle
Trading Places

A few others

jtk

Barry McFadden
12-04-2021, 4:54 PM
My all time favorite is "A Christmas Story" about Ralphie and the Red Ryder BB gun......

Doug Garson
12-04-2021, 4:56 PM
Haven't watched any yet but plan on watching Joyeux Noel again this year. Based on a true event from the first world war. We have it on DVD bought from Amazon but I think also available on Apple TV. Also enjoy better known classics like White Christmas and Holiday Inn.

Lee DeRaud
12-04-2021, 5:42 PM
Don't forget 'Die Hard' and 'Lethal Weapon'... :)

Mike Soaper
12-04-2021, 7:32 PM
It Happened on 5th Avenue

Jim Koepke
12-04-2021, 8:54 PM

Die Hard 1 & 2 were on my list. The others do not happen at Christmas time. My recollection is a bit foggy on Lethal Weapon and a Christmas connection. For some reason my wife doesn't like that series. I think it is because Mel Gibson reminds her of her first husband.

jtk

Lee DeRaud
12-04-2021, 9:17 PM
My recollection is a bit foggy on Lethal Weapon and a Christmas connection.
Only the first one, but its "Christmas connection" is probably stronger than 'Die Hard'.

Edwin Santos
12-05-2021, 12:21 AM
Only the first one, but its "Christmas connection" is probably stronger than 'Die Hard'.

I liked the scene where Riggs busts the guys selling drugs using the Christmas tree lot as a front. Gary Busey was in his prime in the first Lethal Weapon.

Frederick Skelly
12-05-2021, 9:55 AM
Definitely A Christmas Carol, in several versions - same ones you mention. You can laugh, but I still enjoy the Mr. Magoo version. And Henry Winkler did a version that took place in New England. It wasn't "classic", but it was still well done.

And I watched "Ralphie" last night. Love that one!

Stan Calow
12-05-2021, 10:02 AM
I for one, am tired of the classics. We've seen Its a Wonderful Life so often we can say all the dialog with the sound off. Christmas Story was good for awhile, but last few years there's been a cable channel that shows it 24 hours a day. Burn out.

Bruce Volden
12-05-2021, 10:02 AM
No one mentioned "It's A Wonderful Life"???????

Bruce

Jim Koepke
12-05-2021, 2:05 PM
No one mentioned "It's A Wonderful Life"???????

Bruce

OMG! That was left off my list by accident. We usually watch it on Christmas eve or Christmas day. (that makes two different Christmas movies with Jimmy Stewart)

As to the classics, one of the fun things about 'A Christmas Carol' with Alister Sim is spotting the stage hand in the mirror. A classic blooper.

jtk

Mike Soaper
12-05-2021, 2:42 PM
There's also 1938's A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen , but i do like Sim's version also.

probably
Home Alone
Elf

Kev Williams
12-05-2021, 2:48 PM
Never seen 'it's a wonderful life'. I'm probably the only one...
Seen "Miracle on 34th' street" once, in school, think I was in 5th grade ;) --
I don't care for "Elf", and from what I've read, neither does Will Farrell so I don't feel so bad...
Gremlins, ok but it got old....
some say Edward Scissorhands is a Christmas movie, only seen it a couple times...
Tried watching 'Nightmare Before Christmas" once. Once...
I love 'A Christmas Story', but I need another 4 or 5 years without seeing it to enjoy it again...
Watched 'Polar Express' when it came out, in the 'good' 3D... Not the best Xmas movie maybe, but having it snow all around you in the theater the whole time, I was impressed! And that was just for starters, probably the best 3D movie I've ever seen! :)

Jim Koepke
12-05-2021, 4:06 PM
There's also 1938's A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen , but i do like Sim's version also.

probably
Home Alone
Elf

If my memory is working the 1938 version has three or four members of the Lockhart family including the young June Lockhart who is known for many roles in TV series.

Our copy of the Alister Sim version includes a 1935 version with Seymour Hicks. It also includes the original in black & white (restored from original copies of film) and a colorized version. We always watch the B&W version. After the Alister Sim version our favorite is the 1938 version.

jtk

Bryan Lisowski
12-05-2021, 5:00 PM
I’m not a big Christmas fan, so usually don’t watch Christmas movies. But as it gets closer I will watch Christmas Vacation and Die Hard.

Bill McNiel
12-06-2021, 12:37 PM
We are big time Christmas film viewers. We have a fairly comprehensive list of films with our personal ratings and start watching Xmas movies the day after Thanksgiving partaking of one each night through Christmas Day. We believe that Christmas is a time for "Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All", movies like Die Hard do not meet this standard IMHO, there is more enough violence and stories of evil in the daily news.

Traditional Classics:
Miracle on 34th Street
Holiday Inn
The Shop Around the Corner
White Christmas
A Christmas Carol
A Christmas Story
Its a Wonderful Life (viewed on Christmas Eve)

Newer Classics
Love Actually
The Holliday
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Scrooged
Christmas Chronicles

Notables
Mixed Nuts
Deck the Halls
The Man who Invented Christmas
A Charlie Brown Christmas
The Family Stone
A Boy Named Christmas
Love the Coopers
The Santa Clause
Love the Coopers
The Grinch
Elf

and, of course, Hallmark Channel, etc. have their expansive libraries of "soft" stories for daytime background noise

Rod Sheridan
12-06-2021, 5:27 PM
Muppet Christmas Carol, an American Christmas Carol with Henry Winkler, and the original, A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim.

oh and of course A Muppet Family Christmas

Erik Loza
12-06-2021, 5:42 PM
BAD SANTA (The original, not #2)

Erik

Jim Koepke
12-06-2021, 8:03 PM
BAD SANTA (The original, not #2)

Erik

Oh yea, have to find our copy. Not sure Candy likes that one.

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2021, 8:07 PM
My wife is addicted to the Hallmark channels and yes, we are watching Christmas movies. I never realized how many there are.

Roger Feeley
12-06-2021, 8:28 PM
Christmas Vacation here.
im also fond of The Man Who Invented Christmas

Perry Hilbert Jr
12-06-2021, 9:06 PM
Its a Wonderful life was played on TV ad nauseum for a special reason. The studio forgot to renew the copyright and the stations were getting away with showing it and paying no royalties. Then as luck would have it, the Script copyright was apparently renewed in a timely fashion, so all the TV stations got nailed for copyright infringement. It seems in retaliation, that most movie channels and tv stations now refuse to show it because of a grudge match against the copyright holder of the script.

Watching White Christmas is sort of a personal holiday tradition for me. I think it is supposed to be on AMC this week at some odd time like 3:45 am. Many good ones have already been listed. Another one I look for is Donovan's Reef. Christmas In Connecticut. When my children were young, we would make a party out of watching Shirley Temple as Heidi.

Scott Kilroy
12-07-2021, 8:55 AM
Die Hard on Christmas day is a tradition in my family.

Frank Pratt
12-07-2021, 11:04 AM
I started watching The Man Who Invented Christmas the other night, but lost interest after a half hour or so. It seemed quite predictable. Is it worth picking it back up?

I love a good Christmas movie, but the genre is so littered with truly awful stuff. It's hard to find good new material to watch.

Jim Koepke
12-07-2021, 2:27 PM
I love a good Christmas movie, but the genre is so littered with truly awful stuff. It's hard to find good new material to watch.

Some of the cable channels have made their own Christmas rom-coms. They may have different locations but they all seem to be sharing a few fo the the same plots… Family crisis, things get desperate, a Christmas miracle, crisis resolved and a Merry Christmas. Two seemingly people living incompatible lives some how find they are drawn to each other, something comes between them, another Christmas miracle, they realize they belong together and live happily ever after.

Sadly these sappy, syrupy, low budget movies have knocked some regular programing off the air until after the holidays.

jtk

George Yetka
12-07-2021, 3:03 PM
Daughter and wife liked "a boy called christmas" on netflix. Im more for Die Hard. Christmas vacation I can recite in my head start to finish, so ill skip this year I think