PDA

View Full Version : Quick Review: Oneway Wheel Balancing & Norton 3X Wheels

Jim Becker
01-15-2006, 9:53 PM
I recently acquired (finally!) the Oneway grinding wheel balancing system as well as a couple Norton 3X wheels to upgrade my sharpening system. The balancing kit is one of the best $60 investments I've made relative to sharpening...no more vibration of any kind and that means a better edge on the tools. The only downside...takes forever for my grinder to stop spinning and I can't tell by sound when it's done! (Necessary to readjust the Wolverine system for a different tool) It's really easy to use and only takes a few minutes to balance two wheels from start to finish. (Not including the time I took to level my bench)

One of the major benefits of the balancing system is not just a balanced wheel...it's the machined collar that replace the stamped flanges/washers on your grinder as well as the plastic bushings that come in the wheels. (You must order the setup that matches your grinder's shaft diameter...5/8" in the case of my 8" grinder) I normally buy this kind of thing directly from Oneway, but took advantage of the Woodcraft free shipping over the holidays to get this item plus a heavy square scraper I needed.

As to the wheels, the 3X are some of Norton's premium line. They are AO, but have a pale green color. The 60 grit wheel required only an extremely slight balance adjustment and the 100 grit wheel (what I use the most) was out only a little more. BIG difference from the white wheels I had been using. (One I just plain threw out 'cause I couldn't balance it with three screws...sheesh!) These wheels were also nearly true out of the box...a few quick swipes with the Oneway truing system and they were good to go. These were sourced from Hartville Tools and the service was quick. Cost...about $50 each with shipping. That's more than the standard white wheels, but these cut fast and cool.

After getting everything put back together at the grinder, I spent a few minutes putting fresh edges on some tooling...and am very pleased with the setup. 'Just the ticket for grinding HHS, including powdered metal versions.

Pics below are "stock"...I'll add a photo of my grinder setup tomorrow or the next day...I didn't have the camera in the shop this afternoon and it was too darn cold and windy to run back out there tonight. Burrrr!

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Looks good Jim. Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about it for a while now. I appreciate it.

Andy Hoyt
01-15-2006, 10:06 PM
...a few quick swipes with the Oneway truing system and they were good to go. ....

Jim - Is that the same thing that Oneway refers to as the Wheel Dresser? Wanted one since I first saw it, but.....

Be interested in your specific comments about it, too.

Jim Becker
01-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Jim - Is that the same thing that Oneway refers to as the Wheel Dresser?

Umm...yes. CRS prevented me from using the correct name. It's a good addition to the Oneway Wolverine system and allows you to absolutely dress the face of the wheel flat. A hand-held diamond "tee" dresser is fine for a quick "cleaning" of the wheel, but the Oneway dresser insures you have a round wheel that is perpendicular to the tool surface/jig. My only complaint is that the plastic adjustment knob on mine broke a little relatively quickly...and I just plain forgot to complain about it at the time. I'll turn a new one someday when I remember to do it!

Ernie Nyvall
01-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the review Jim. Sounds like a good deal.

Ernie

Gary Max
01-16-2006, 5:01 AM
I like the ---Fast and cool.
Have to look into this.
Thanks Jim

Bob Noles
01-16-2006, 6:36 AM
Jim,

I appreciate the review as I too will be bringing this accessory into my shop shortly down the road. I'm glad you commented on the Norton wheels as I us that brand exclusively in anything that grinds or sands. It is just plain good stuff and worth the premium.