PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2006, 9:39 PM
Not much but did finally get my late mothers cabinet done. The other brothers and sister were going to take it to the dump. I told them to put it in my pickup. It had 5 coats of paint on it and the hardware. It was a mess getting it all off to the bare wood. Also was some water damage to the bottom outside and the bottom shelf. Replaced the side with birch and the bottom shelf. I have been working on it for some time now in-between everything else. My grandmother bought it in 1930 and give it to mom when they got married in 1946. Glad I kept it now and think mom would be proud. I think it turned out well and think mom would be proud. Thanks for looking.

Tom Hamilton
01-15-2006, 9:44 PM
Very cool Bernie, a family piece, made in the first half of the last century and ready for another half century.

Great job and wonderful memories...for you and the next owner.

All the best in 06, Tom

Andy Hoyt
01-15-2006, 9:50 PM
We had one pretty much just like it when I was a kid. Thanks for thr memories . Looks really nice now, Bernie. Ya did good. Gotta love real hardware.

Craig Feuerzeig
01-15-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm pretty sure I have the same handles on the metal cabinets in my shop, formerly of my last kitchen (circa 1950). Let me know if you need replacements. Great save.

Roy Wall
01-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Bernie,

Your refurb and refinish is superb!!! Excellent work .........
and yes, your Mom is smiling!

Well done:)

Don Stanley
01-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Very impressive work Bernie! I restore my Grandparents turn-of-the-century oval mirror dresser last year. There was tons of old dark varnish over white oak. The project was a lot of work, and it took a long time to complete. There was one aspect of the project that I truly enjoyed! All the good memories during the long hours of labor. The special candy drawer, the refrigerator loaded with all flavors of soda pop, and the times I stayed over night.

I suspect that you had a similar experience! You will enjoy this cabinet for many years to come!

-Don

Steve Coons
01-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Wow, the cabinet looks great. A job well done. Pieces that bring memories with them are so much more special to work on and then to enjoy when finished.

Corey Hallagan
01-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Very nice Bernie, your mother would certainly be proud! Keep up the great work buddy!

Corey

Scott Donley
01-16-2006, 2:01 AM
Really a nice job, your Mom would and you should, be proud of a great job !

Tom Drake
01-16-2006, 6:26 AM
Very nice work Bernie. Your mother is definately smiling.

Jay Knoll
01-16-2006, 7:56 AM
Very nice job, lots of memories in that refinishing

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Bernie, that's a wonderful restoration! Good call on putting it in the truck, rather than the landfill.

Michael Gibbons
01-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Bernie, It's good to save a little history. I take a bet that it's a heck of a lot better built than the junk they build nowadays. Nice looking piece.

Mike

Pete Harbin
01-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Nice save Bernie!...and nice job on the restoration. I'm sure it will keep a lot of fond memories alive.

Pete

Mike Zozakiewicz
01-16-2006, 1:59 PM
Great save Bernie! Beautiful job on the restoration!

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2006, 2:23 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. It does make me feel good to keep it. Yes it is definately better built than the stuff of today. I am going to put my mom's bell collection in the top part. She collected porcelin and crystal bells. She has them from everywhere. I got her a bunch when I was overseas.

Anyway I took it to the bare wood. I primed it with Benjamin Moore primer and Benjamin Moore High Gloss Metal/Wood Enamel. It came out super. All hinges, handles and latches were cleaned, repaired for use so it is original. The name plate at the top says, "North State." I could find anything on it yet.

Now that it is finished one of my brothers and the oldest sister want it. I told them tough.

Thanks again.

Bob Noles
01-16-2006, 2:30 PM
A really great job my friend.....

Now.... are you ready to do another one? LOML has one just like it :eek: :D

Steve Clardy
01-16-2006, 5:04 PM
Yes. Nice save Bernie.

I have a huge old oak rolltop desk that was my grandfathers.
It's in pretty bad shape.
Hope to retro it one of these days.