PDA

View Full Version : Igaging DRO for Saw Stop

Chris Parks
11-30-2021, 6:22 PM
I bought two of these DRO's and there is damn all information about them on the internet. At about 40 seconds into the linked short video it is pointed out that the new measuring tape does away with the previous stainless steel encoder strips due to having capacitive sensors embedded in it. Can anyone confirm that for me because after two international phone calls neither Igaging or Chipsfly want to address the question and my opinion of both is fairly low at the moment but that is just my problem and no one else's.

EZ Fence DRO (igaging.com) (http://igaging.com/page95.html)

Bill Space
12-01-2021, 3:08 PM
I cannot really help, other than to tell you that I have one of the iGaging DROs on my thickness planer, and I really like it.

EXCEPT that it took some figuring out how to make it work when I got it, and it takes some figuring out how to make it work if the batteries run out, or maybe even if I decide to just change the batteries. My problem is figuring out how to set the actual thickness after making a test cut. Happens every time something changes, like a battery replacement. Otherwise, after getting things set right, the DRO performs flawlessly.

I really cannot imagine why they cannot write instructions in a way that a normal person can follow with easy success.

AND I spent my career in heavy industry as an engineer for the most part, in the electrical field, maintaining, upgrading and troubleshooting complex control systems, so there is no real reason someone with my past experience should feel this way.

So with some help that I cannot provide, but hopefully someone else here can, you should end up with something that you find functional and worthwhile...

Kevin Jenness
12-01-2021, 5:00 PM
I would avoid the IGaging dro. I had the same problems as Bill plus the unit failed after a couple of years. I never did find any documentation online for setting it.

Wixey is ok I think but the resolution is less. Accurate Technologies is probably the best but you will pay more.

Chris Parks
12-01-2021, 5:01 PM
Deleted due to wrong information.

Chris Parks
12-01-2021, 5:19 PM
I would avoid the IGaging dro. I had the same problems as Bill plus the unit failed after a couple of years. I never did find any documentation online for setting it.

Wixey is ok I think but the resolution is less. Accurate Technologies is probably the best but you will pay more.

My problem is they are being used on a Hammer slider and I have found nothing else anywhere that can be used in the same way without spending stupid money and with no assurance that I can get to to fit. My statement I deleted was wrong, it is Wixey that I have always used and yes Wixey has a few issues but they do work and there is generally good information to be found.