PDA

View Full Version : ????Power/Neander Sythesis - HELP!!!

Howard Rosenberg
07-18-2003, 3:37 PM
Hi all -
I'm starting a pair of bookcases for my son. They'll be made of MDF.

I want to create the appearance of frame and panel construction on the gables but will simply biscuit-join 3/4" rails & stiles to 1/2" panels. I'll router a chamfer on the rails & stiles but can only do so BEFORE I glue everything up.

My plan is to use the router table and stop routing just short of where the rails & stiles will meet. I'll finish the corners with a bullnose plane, and I must aDMIT, I've always wanted a bullnose plane.

Seeing MDF is murderous on bits & blades, is this the best tool/technique? My chisel skills aren't great and routering the chamfer after assembly - (if there's enough room to get in) - will give me rounded corners (aarrgghh!!)

Thank you. Howard

Bobby Hatfield
07-18-2003, 7:00 PM
Hi all -
I'm starting a pair of bookcases for my son. They'll be made of MDF.

I want to create the appearance of frame and panel construction on the gables but will simply biscuit-join 3/4" rails & stiles to 1/2" panels. I'll router a chamfer on the rails & stiles but can only do so BEFORE I glue everything up.

My plan is to use the router table and stop routing just short of where the rails & stiles will meet. I'll finish the corners with a bullnose plane, and I must aDMIT, I've always wanted a bullnose plane.

Seeing MDF is murderous on bits & blades, is this the best tool/technique? My chisel skills aren't great and routering the chamfer after assembly - (if there's enough room to get in) - will give me rounded corners (aarrgghh!!)

Thank you. Howard

Howard could you cut the rails and stiles ends with a mitre cut and route the full length of the stiles, since as I understand there will be not need for strength in the frames.

Howard Rosenberg
07-18-2003, 10:37 PM
Hi Bobby - Thanks for your reply - I thought of that but mitres on my CS are a slow, inexact process in view of my soon-to-be replaced mitre gauge.

Speaking of mitre/miter... are you an expatriate Canadian? Or are you from the UK? Mitre always jumps out at me on the US WW forums. Thank you. Howard