PDA

View Full Version : MAking Dan Barber's Chairs

Dennis McDonaugh
02-20-2003, 11:33 AM
I need to make four chairs to go with a country/mission style table and Dan Barber's design looks pretty good. I'm trying to figure out how to cut the angled mortises in the back and front rails. Here's what I've come up with so far. He cut the back rails from one piece of wood because he could use his multirouter to cut the mortises after the rails were shaped. I think I can do the same thing on my mortise machine by making the mortises before I cut out the rail. All I'd have to do is cut the front profile on the blank, place a wedge under the rail to get the right angle, cut the mortises, then cut the profile on the back of the rail. The mortises in the back rail angle out at approximately 84 degrees. Does that mean the front rail mortises angle in 96 degrees? The back is curved, anyone have any ideas how to cut the tenons in the curved pieces? Thanks.

Dennis Peacock
02-20-2003, 1:53 PM
Is Jeff Miller's book and video on Chairmaking and Design. He takes the fear and mystery out of chairmaking and includes his jigs for cutting angled mortise and tenon joints......I just got this book and video in Tuesday of this week......It has taken the "fear" part out of making chairs for me and I will be making 10 Mission/A&C style chairs soon..... ;)

Thanks,
Dennis - :D

Dr. Zack Jennings
02-20-2003, 2:10 PM
Dennis, I admire you "can do" attitude. Good luck with your chairs. I'll be down to see them and the table when it warms up around here. ( And dries out a little). I'm just glad to be in the dry and have heat. I'll be back in the shop on Saturday.