PDA

View Full Version : Festool DF500 mortise location question

Brian Runau
11-30-2021, 9:10 AM

I am not using the through tenon on this bottom stretcher from a dresser. overall width of piece is 5" and it has the 1-1/2" radius on each end on the bottom and leaves the 3-1/2" width.

I was planning on using the 24 x 50 domino on this. I would like to use two of them. If I work off the center line and leave 3/4" spacing on this center line, the upper mortise would be fine, but I am not sure of the bottom mortise going into the 1/2 moon rounded portion. The Mortise is only 25mm deep so I would have @ 1/2 beyond it where the mortise flows of the 3-1/2" of the stretcher into the 1/2 moon portion. This enough meat to hold together OK? Other option is to use a smaller stub tenon size for the lower mortise?
Thanks.
Brian

Kevin Jenness
11-30-2021, 9:13 AM

I am not using the through tenon on this bottom stretcher from a dresser. overall width of piece is 5" and it has the 1-1/2" radius on each end on the bottom and leaves the 3-1/2" width.

I was planning on using the 24 x 50 domino on this. I would like to use two of them. If I work off the center line and leave 3/4" spacing on this center line, the upper mortise would be fine, but I am not sure of the bottom mortise going into the 1/2 moon rounded portion. The Mortise is only 25mm deep so I would have @ 1/2 beyond it where the mortise flows of the 3-1/2" of the stretcher into the 1/2 moon portion. This enough meat to hold together OK? Other option is to use a smaller stub tenon size for the lower mortise?
Thanks.
Brian

I don't see a problem with that. If you are concerned you could use a shallower mortise in that area and a shorter domino.

Jim Becker
11-30-2021, 9:29 AM
Since you have a normal tenon (Domino) in the upper area, I do not believe you will have an issue with the shallow depth for the lower tenon (Domino) once the glue sets. There will still be enough strength to reinforce the upper connection as well as quell rotational stresses, should they ever occur. That said, you could consider a a wider, single custom tenon (Domino) in the "meat" of the component as an alternative to two tenons (Dominos) for these components. You can still do the mortises with the DF500...just make the custom width tenon stock yourself.

Brian Runau
11-30-2021, 9:45 AM
Thanks men. I think I will go with the shallow mortise and shorten the stub tenon. Appreciate the input. Brian