PDA

View Full Version : dovetail saw

mark downing
11-28-2021, 3:16 PM
My pockets aren't deep enough for the quality dovetail saws currently sold. Can anyone suggest a purveyor of old tools who might have vintage western dovetail saws? I've checked ebay plenty but picking are slim.
Thanks!

Frederick Skelly
11-28-2021, 4:24 PM
There are a few guys here that refurb saws as a hobby. I'll let them respond for themselves. But my gut says that a good, already-refurbished DT saw may not cost much less than a Veritas DT saw ($80). Here's a link to Lee Valley where you can find them, if you want to take a look. LINK (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/saws/dovetail/64007-veritas-dovetail-saws)

I have one of these and like it. This tool doesnt have the cachet of the $250 boutique saws, but it's a nice tool. Another I have is the Lie Neilsen DT saw, for about $130.

Fred

Jim Becker
11-28-2021, 8:52 PM
Fred beat me to it...the Veritas saws are very affordably priced and are also well balanced.

Richard Coers
11-28-2021, 9:21 PM
My pockets aren't deep enough for the quality dovetail saws currently sold. Can anyone suggest a purveyor of old tools who might have vintage western dovetail saws? I've checked ebay plenty but picking are slim.
Thanks!
Biggest change you can make to any western back saw for dovetailing is convert it to rip teeth. Japanese pull saws work great right out of the box if the tooth count is high enough.

johnny means
11-28-2021, 9:46 PM
Biggest change you can make to any western back saw for dovetailing is convert it to rip teeth. Japanese pull saws work great right out of the box if the tooth count is high enough.

I traded in all my western saws for cheap japanese borg saws years ago. I'll put my $12 Irwin dovetail saw up against anything out there. Sure, I gotta hide it when a customer tours the shop, but it works so well for so many things. If your budget is tight and handcut joinery is the goal, you might want to check one out.

Mike Henderson
11-28-2021, 11:09 PM
I started with a medium sized dozuki for making dovetails. Since that time, I bought a LN dovetail saw. I like the LN saw but the dozuki worked fine. A medium dozuki is not very expensive.

The LV dovetail saws are good, also.

Mike

Rob Luter
11-29-2021, 5:59 AM
There are a few guys here that refurb saws as a hobby. I'll let them respond for themselves. But my gut says that a good, already-refurbished DT saw may not cost much less than a Veritas DT saw ($80). Here's a link to Lee Valley where you can find them, if you want to take a look. LINK (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/saws/dovetail/64007-veritas-dovetail-saws)

I have one of these and like it. This tool doesnt have the cachet of the $250 boutique saws, but it's a nice tool. Another I have is the Lie Neilsen DT saw, for about $130.

Fred

True story. I've found that lately, old and unrefurbished backsaws are demanding premium money. I've run across a couple old Disstons lately with asking prices over $100. After all, they're rare and vintage :confused:.

Lloyd McKinlay
11-29-2021, 9:39 AM

Fred

Looks like a factory second is available at a discount for Cyber Monday. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/saws/back/70203-veritas-fine-dovetail-saw-20-tpi-manufacturing-second?item=CM221

Robert Engel
11-29-2021, 9:59 AM
I've seen it and done it after watching Frank Klausz take a cheap gent's type saw and turning it into a decent saw by removing some set and sharpening it properly.

Chris Schoenthal
11-29-2021, 10:46 AM
Just saw that Lee Valley has their 20 tpi dovetail saw on the Cyber Monday sale for $59 (down from $79).
Great saw for an unbelievable price. Almost makes me want to get another.

Mike Henderson
11-29-2021, 12:51 PM
Just saw that Lee Valley has their 20 tpi dovetail saw on the Cyber Monday sale for $59 (down from $79).
Great saw for an unbelievable price. Almost makes me want to get another.

20tpi is a bit too fine for my taste but the price is right.

There's nothing wrong with 20tpi but it's a bit slow compared to a 14 or 15tpi.

Mike