PDA

View Full Version : saw stop

jeff oldham
11-27-2021, 9:57 PM
i know im going to get alot of slack for this,,lol,,but i sold my delta 36-705 table saw and it really was a good one,,,and i have always wanted a saw stop so yesterday i went to klingspor and paid about 3400.00 for the professional saw with the 36 inch t glide fence system and the 229.00 mobile base,,,and after i got home i found out that they forget to give me the mobile base,,,,so this morning here i go back to klingspor to get it,,,after i got home and started putting it on the holes would not align to get it on,,so here i go back to klingspor to return it,,,and the saw weighs in at about 400 pounds or better,,,i asked the guy about bringing it back and he said i could,,lol,,now i have the problem of getting it loaded back on the truck,,im sure it is a great saw but im a firm believer that if you start out having that many problems,,,this isnt for you,,,i honestly want the saw,,but if i had that much trouble with just the mobile base,,,lord what is next when you start putting it together,,i believe if i had gotten the contractors saw i might not had this much trouble,,and i was thinking about getting an after market mobile base like the bora,,,,but as much as this beast weighs,,it might just crush it...and i really do hate it,,i wanted the saw because of the safety feature,,,im getting older ,,,and didnt want to take any chances,,but in all honestly,,,,at this moment after having all this trouble,,,i really wish i had that delta 36-725 back,,and i know it isnt no where near the quality of the saw stop,,,

ED Budzinski
11-27-2021, 10:20 PM
Sound to me like more of a sales problem than the saw itself . I bought a Saw Stop Industrial and very happy with the purchase .

jeff oldham
11-27-2021, 10:48 PM
well i cant fault klingspor other than i had to make 3 trips to there store,,,,but even at that the weight is a deal breaker for me,,,and i didnt realize this till after i got it home,,,when your disabled weight isnt your friend,,,and i feel like if i keep it what else is going to happen,,,you know when you start out on something and have alot of trouble...you ask yourself,,whats next,,

David Buchhauser
11-27-2021, 11:47 PM
It might be easier to modify or drill some new mounting holes in the mobile base. I don't think this should be a "deal breaker". There are plenty of satisfied Saw Stop owners on this forum (and elsewhere). I personally don't own a SawStop - I have the Grizzly 1023GRLX with sliding attachment and mobile base. I had to drill matching holes in the mobile base to fit the saw, just as I have done in the past for my other "mobile" machines. I personally feel that the added weight makes for better machine stability. I would estimate that my saw weighs in around 500 lbs - but it is easy enough to move (if I need to) with the mobile base.
David

David Publicover
11-28-2021, 6:36 AM
I have a SawStop and am very happy with it. The fit and finish as well as the performance is top notch IMO. Mine is the Industrial and has the Industrial base which is excellent. I also have a Bora mobile base under my Jointer/Planer. It works well too with a #600+ load. A glance at the Bora website will give the acceptable load for their bases. Personally, I’d go with the 4 swivel model. My Bora is only the 2 swivel model and it works well but isn’t as maneuverable as the SawStop.

Thomas Wilson
11-28-2021, 7:14 AM
i know im going to get alot of slack for this,,lol,,but i sold my delta 36-705 table saw and it really was a good one,,,and i have always wanted a saw stop so yesterday i went to klingspor and paid about 3400.00 for the professional saw with the 36 inch t glide fence system and the 229.00 mobile base,,,and after i got home i found out that they forget to give me the mobile base,,,,so this morning here i go back to klingspor to get it,,,after i got home and started putting it on the holes would not align to get it on,,so here i go back to klingspor to return it,,,and the saw weighs in at about 400 pounds or better,,,i asked the guy about bringing it back and he said i could,,lol,,now i have the problem of getting it loaded back on the truck,,im sure it is a great saw but im a firm believer that if you start out having that many problems,,,this isnt for you,,,i honestly want the saw,,but if i had that much trouble with just the mobile base,,,lord what is next when you start putting it together,,i believe if i had gotten the contractors saw i might not had this much trouble,,and i was thinking about getting an after market mobile base like the bora,,,,but as much as this beast weighs,,it might just crush it...and i really do hate it,,i wanted the saw because of the safety feature,,,im getting older ,,,and didnt want to take any chances,,but in all honestly,,,,at this moment after having all this trouble,,,i really wish i had that delta 36-725 back,,and i know it isnt no where near the quality of the saw stop,,,
Have you tried calling SawStop about the hole alignment problem? They are very good with customer service. Also, there is an adapter kit to convert the industrial mobile base for use with the Professional SawStop. Do you have that kit? Good luck. Set up for any tool can be frustrating. If I were near you, I would come help. Is there a woodworking club in your area?

Larry Frank
11-28-2021, 7:39 AM
I am surprised st this and would like to see a picture of the problem.

I think Saw stop has an extremely good fit and finish and excellent assembly instructions. The assembly parts are very well organized.

jeff oldham
11-28-2021, 8:31 AM
thank you tom,,im going to call them in the morning,,truthfully speaking i dont know how im going to get it into the truck to get it back,,,i might ask klingspor what they would charge to pick it up,,or at least thats one of the things im going to mention to saw stop tomorrow,,,and i didnt know this either,,but i was talking with the guy at klingspor and he asked me if it was put together or still in the box,,ii told him that other than the mobile kit i have touched nothing else in any box,,,he said if i had it would be a deal breaker and i owned the saw,,no returning it,,,im scratching my head,,,i just gave 3400.00 hundred dollars for this saw and you will not take it back,,home depot sells saw stops and you have got 90 days reguardless to bring it back,,,

Stan Calow
11-28-2021, 8:44 AM
". . . home depot sells saw stops . . ." Is this new?

I have the contractor saw with mobile base, and I was very impressed with the assembly instructions I got with it.

jeff oldham
11-28-2021, 9:01 AM
i dont know about new,,but yes,,,go to home depot web page and type in saw stop,,they not only have saw stops,,,but will deliever it to your house free,,well i say free,,im sure the shipping costs have been included

Prashun Patel
11-28-2021, 9:09 AM
I can’t argue with your superstition. However, the sawstop and all the accessories I owned with it was top notch - from a quality, service, and ease perspective. I would suggest you give it some time to prove itself to you.

In the worst case scenario, you can resell it for a good price; these saws keep their value.

jeff oldham
11-28-2021, 9:18 AM
and i considered what you said prashun,,,,but i was told that this saw had a 30 day warranty period on it and if power was put on the saw,,which it hasnt,,it voided the warranty and it was mine,,,so that is a game changer as well,,,

Dwayne Watt
11-28-2021, 9:33 AM
I say BS to this 30 day / no power-up warranty indication. Sawstop has a 2 year material/worksmanship warranty. Whoever told you 30 day was the warranty was grossly misinformed. This difference of interpretation here might be no returns outside of 30 days or if the machine has been used in any way (i.e., powered up). That is not a warranty issue.

Jim Becker
11-28-2021, 9:37 AM
and i considered what you said prashun,,,,but i was told that this saw had a 30 day warranty period on it and if power was put on the saw,,which it hasnt,,it voided the warranty and it was mine,,,so that is a game changer as well,,,

Um...applying power to a machine isn't going to void any warranty. How would one know if there was any kind of issue without powering it up? Whomever told you that is pulling your, um..."you know what".

And I agree with Prashun. I actually own the saw he's talking about now as I bought it from him and the statement about "top notch" is spot on. Even pre-owned, it's an outstanding, high quality product.

BTW, if you got the PCS base rather than the ICS base, I can see how it's more difficult to install due to its nature as a "built in". If I had to install it, I'd want some physical help because it's more than just lifting a heavy machine onto a base. Many folks opt for the ICS mobile base (or a third party mobile base) for the PCS saw as an alternative.

Justin Rapp
11-28-2021, 10:10 AM
Um...applying power to a machine isn't going to void any warranty. How would one know if there was any kind of issue without powering it up? Whomever told you that is pulling your, um..."you know what".

And I agree with Prashun. I actually own the saw he's talking about now as I bought it from him and the statement about "top notch" is spot on. Even pre-owned, it's an outstanding, high quality product.

BTW, if you got the PCS base rather than the ICS base, I can see how it's more difficult to install due to its nature as a "built in". If I had to install it, I'd want some physical help because it's more than just lifting a heavy machine onto a base. Many folks opt for the ICS mobile base (or a third party mobile base) for the PCS saw as an alternative.

Exactly this - ICS base is a fantastic base. I was going back and forth and posted here on SawStop asking which I should get. I was 100% directed to the ICS base over the PCS base. The extra hundred something dollars was worth it's weight in gold when I move my saw around.

Justin Rapp
11-28-2021, 10:20 AM
Btw - if you do keep the saw and swap to the ICS base, make sure you get the Industrial Cabinet Saw Mobile Base with PCS Conversion Kit

Derek Arita
11-28-2021, 10:44 AM
:confused: I'm probably wrong here, but this all sounds more like buyers remorse, than a loss of confidence in the actual saw. I don't own a SS, only because I can't afford one, but if I could, I'd buy one tomorrow based on reported quality and customer satisfaction. My unsolicited advice is to buy a better base and love that SS. A year or two from now, you won't even think about how much you spent on it.

Frank Pratt
11-28-2021, 11:19 AM
I suspect the holes not lining up is a matter of incorrect assembly or perhaps the wrong part being used. My experience is that they build their saws to a very high standard of fit & finish and charge accordingly. If OP has buyer's remorse that's fine, just return it within the permitted window. But don't make choices based on superstition or because they may have gotten a misdrilled part. Stuff like that happens, but at least give the manufacturer a chance to make it right.

Aaron Rosenthal
11-28-2021, 11:33 AM
Jeff, I bought the saw (the 3 hp PCS) earlier this year, and I also balked at the (Canadian) $550.00 ish price of the ICS base. I ended up getting the grizzly 4 swivel base.
There are many posters here like myself who own the saw. I really appreciate the safety and thoughtfulness that went into the design and execution of the saw.
For whatever reason, it sounds to me like you really are unhappy with your choice. If it’s going to make you unhappy every time you use it, get rid of the unit. Whether you return it or sell it privately, it’s not worth the aggravation.
In my case, working alone doing the setup and then, getting the over blade dust collector (which I don’t believe is all that good), and retrofitting the grizzly base was incredibly frustrating. But contrary to my personality I looked at it as a learning experience.
If you are able to step back and tackle each step as a challenge, it may make life easier.
Unlike you, I never had a cabinet saw before, I had a hybrid with a built in mobile base, so I only looked at the safety and quality. Also unlike you, I was able to deal with my local Lee Valley people who are 5 km away and are committed to customer service. I know it makes a huge difference. There’s a lot of dealers of Saw Stop in my area.
Again, if your experience is too galling to get over and see long term benefits of the saw, get rid of it. It’s not worth the long term unhappiness.

jeff oldham
11-28-2021, 11:39 AM
To whom this may concern...this is not buyers remorse...I bought this saw not only for myself but my granddaughter to get into wood safety... personally you need to keep your smart remarks to yourself...I didn't put this on here for comments like this...and as far as money...I could buy 10 of these saws...but when I spend my money...especially when your buying the rolls Royce of table saw.... yes I expect it to be alot better than this tank I bought

Derek Arita
11-28-2021, 11:55 AM
To whom this may concern...this is not buyers remorse...I bought this saw not only for myself but my granddaughter to get into wood safety... personally you need to keep your smart remarks to yourself...I didn't put this on here for comments like this...and as far as money...I could buy 10 of these saws...but when I spend my money...especially when your buying the rolls Royce of table saw.... yes I expect it to be alot better than this tank I bought

Ouch! Just say'n...

Kevin Jenness
11-28-2021, 11:59 AM
Don't have a cow, man. Take it back or keep it, whatever. It's not clear why you did post except to complain, but I didn't see any insulting comments (well, maybe "superstition" to describe "im a firm believer that if you start out having that many problems,,,this isnt for you", but hey, don't have a cow). Sawstop has earned a reputation for quality and customer service. They will probably help you deal with your problem given a chance. Some misaligned bolt holes on the base seems like a small and easily fixed issue. If you want the "rolls Royce of table saw" get a Martin. It will cost as much as ten Sawstops though.

Justin Rapp
11-28-2021, 12:49 PM

Take some pictures please. I and I am sure many others are curious about the issue mounting the mobile base. When I built my sawstop a few weeks back, it was honestly the best machine I assembled to date, and I have equipment from Laguna, Jet, Dewalt, SawStop, Ridgid, and have had Delta in the past but that is all gone now. The instructions from SS were the best, ever piece, part, bolt, nut, hole etc was really perfect. And I do Quality Assurance for a living (in software), but that falls over to everything else, especially my hobbies. So, please take some pictures of the issue.

Larry Frank
11-28-2021, 6:43 PM
You said in your original post that you would get a lot of slack from the post. Exactly, what did you expect to get or want to get for responses? Obviously, the responses were not what you wanted.

You got similar responses on another website where you posted the exact same thing.

Eric Anderson
11-28-2021, 6:51 PM
I have the PCS with the PCS base. I was able to easily assemble the entire system by myself and I'm no spring chicken or powerlifter. I do understand that with the ICS base, you can't have the outfeed table drop smoothly when not in use. I'm sure the ICS base is far superior, but I don't have any issues moving my PCS with the builti-n PCS base. Gotta do a little back and forth but it's fine. I LOVE my sawstop and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

johnny means
11-28-2021, 7:07 PM
I go by a completely opposite theory of life. I'd rather deal with a few issues and be patient to get exactly what I wanted than settle for the expedient. I try not to let short term problems ruin my long term goals. It sounds like you put a lot of thought and consideration into this only to throw a tantrum when it got a little annoying. Btw, Sawstop is by no means the Rolls-Royce of table saws, more like a Toyota. Also, it sounds like you still have a pretty compelling reason to want the Saw Stop. Use it, in five years you won't even remember this, but you'll still love the saw.

Ray Newman
11-28-2021, 11:43 PM
OP removed the saw from his truck. Why not utilize the same procedure used to remove it to put it back on?

Or, call a rental shop and see if they have a rental pick up with a lift. At on time, the local Home Depot by me had rental pick up with a lift.

David Buchhauser
11-29-2021, 2:07 AM
I go by a completely opposite theory of life. I'd rather deal with a few issues and be patient to get exactly what I wanted than settle for the expedient. I try not to let short term problems ruin my long term goals. It sounds like you put a lot of thought and consideration into this only to throw a tantrum when it got a little annoying. Btw, Sawstop is by no means the Rolls-Royce of table saws, more like a Toyota. Also, it sounds like you still have a pretty compelling reason to want the Saw Stop. Use it, in five years you won't even remember this, but you'll still love the saw.

I very much agree! Plus I personally think that getting it dialed in is part of the fun of getting a new toy. I've had a few similar experiences with large machine tools over the years, but it has always worked out.
David

Frank Pratt
11-29-2021, 10:02 AM

There's been a lot of good comments here, but I think this sums up the situation perfectly. Good advice.

Frank Pratt
11-29-2021, 10:05 AM
OP removed the saw from his truck. Why not utilize the same procedure used to remove it to put it back on?

Or, call a rental shop and see if they have a rental pick up with a lift. At on time, the local Home Depot by me had rental pick up with a lift.

That actually is a valid concern. When it's all packaged from the factory, it's doable for 1 person to get it out of the bed of a pickup. Getting it back up there would be a lot harder.

Joe Rogers
11-29-2021, 10:19 AM
With the saw in the box, and the issues with a mobile base, how can one lose confidence with the saw?? And posting this with the opening sentence expecting push back it seems the OP got what he expected. Good luck to the OP and his grand daughter.
Joe

Brian Behrens
11-29-2021, 7:04 PM
As a sawstop PCS owner, I can say that the assembly instructions and organized packaging of parts was the most impressive I've ever seen, for any product. If there was an issue with assembly I am certain that a call to Sawstop would have you up and running in no time. I suggest you persist, the saw is worth it. Even without the safety feature the saw is incredible. The safety feature is just icing on the cake.

David Buchhauser
11-29-2021, 8:07 PM
With the saw in the box, and the issues with a mobile base, how can one lose confidence with the saw?? And posting this with the opening sentence expecting push back it seems the OP got what he expected. Good luck to the OP and his grand daughter.
Joe

Just curious - if the saw is still in the box, how do we know the base doesn't fit? I would also say that in my opinion the main reason folks buy the saw stop is the safety factor with the blade/cartridge. The quality of the saw is "secondary". But I don't own one, so this is just speculation.
David

Tim Janssen
11-29-2021, 10:00 PM
I think you are making a mistake if you are bringing it back. Take a couple of deep breaths and start over again. I bought my PCS 11 years ago.
I bought the industrial base because I wanted the manoeuvrability it provides. There is some assembling to be done but the manual provides superb illustrated instructions. Good luck and take your time.
Cheers,

Tim
Picture taken 11 years ago.
A couple of years later I installed a slider on it.

David Buchhauser
11-30-2021, 1:56 AM
I think you are making a mistake if you are bringing it back. Take a couple of deep breaths and start over again. I bought my PCS 11 years ago.
I bought the industrial base because I wanted the manoeuvrability it provides. There is some assembling to be done but the manual provides superb illustrated instructions. Good luck and take your time.
Cheers,

Tim
Picture taken 11 years ago.
A couple of years later I installed a slider on it.

Tim - that's a great looking machine! I don't have a Saw Stop, but I did install the Saw Stop blade guard/dust collector onto my Grizzly G1023rlwx and it works great. I also installed the Grizzly "Bear Crawler" mobile base and modified it with supports for the sliding attachment. So now I can roll it around and the support legs stay adjusted.

David

David Jurincie
11-30-2021, 7:32 AM
I have a PCS from Klingspor as well and have had have had a great experience with both the saw and the store in Hickory. Please post pictures so we can better understand the issue you are having. I will say that after assembling quite a few Jet tools, the SawStop went together flawlessly and had excellent assembly instructions.

Alan Lightstone
11-30-2021, 12:10 PM
As a sawstop PCS owner, I can say that the assembly instructions and organized packaging of parts was the most impressive I've ever seen, for any product.

I've said this many times. Truly amazing.

Justin Rapp
11-30-2021, 3:13 PM
I've said this many times. Truly amazing.

I second this. I've assembled tools from many companies and SawStop hired a good technical writer to put together their instructions. Unlike most companies who re-purpose someone with the wrong skills to write an assembly manual, or more like a 'guess the bolt that goes here' game.

Rod Wolfy
11-30-2021, 7:44 PM
Jeff, I have the same saw and I got the mobile base that you got. I had to have friends come over to help me put it together.

I actually put the base on wrong and the holes didn't line up. I had to take it all apart. I am disabled and when I tipped the saw over, I had to have some friends come over and lift it back up, too.

I used the bolt on base for a couple of years, but you can only move the saw along the long side. After getting frustrated a few too many times, I paid for the Industrial Base (again having to have friends help me get it on), but it was worth the extra $$, as all you have to do is pump the pedal (built in pneumatic jack) to get it up 1/2" and then it rolls in any direction you need (towards you, diagonally or wherever).

I understand your frustration with the whole thing. It was difficult to get the saw assembled (despite the great directions and documentation). I found that watching a few assembly videos on YT helped me better understand the parts before I tackled some parts. The saw has been great, despite the initial difficulties face.

I have a friend that cut off his index finger a couple of years ago on his table saw. I have several friends and family members that don't do woodworking that have been happy to use my saw and I am not as concerned as I would be with another kind of table saw. That does not mean that accidents can't or won't happen on this saw (like kickbacks) that could hurt just as much, so I'm careful to be a good teacher, too.

Tim Janssen
11-30-2021, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=David Buchhauser;3158420]Tim - that's a great look.........ay adjusted.
David

I installed the same slider you haven on your saw; The grizzly. Mind you without the fancy Incra jig
Cheers,

Tim

Rick Potter
11-30-2021, 11:46 PM
Let me keep this simple.

If money is not a problem, why not call the place where you bought it and ask them to recommend someone to get it up and running. It is well worth one day's wages, if it is the only way you can have the saw you really want.

As an old gimp, I have to keep reminding myself I'm not 75 anymore, and I should graciously accept help when needed. It is difficult for many of us to realize we are no longer self reliant in everything.