PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Companions

Chris Fite
01-15-2006, 7:09 PM
I have been busy evaluating combination saws. When I closed in on this one, I found that there was a bandsaw available, too. I was surprised to see what model it was. At any rate, I have these two to add to the stable. The old table saw and some other pieces will be moving on soon. I got the Laguna for less than the price of a Delta 14" bandsaw. It has a small flaw that does not interfere with the operation, so buying used has some benefits.

I will need to spend some time becoming familiar with the X-31, but it worked great when I used it at its old location.

Brett Baldwin
01-15-2006, 7:14 PM
Looks like Christmas was a little late at your shop but well worth the wait. They both look like well cared for or little used machines. Nice score.

Jim Becker
01-15-2006, 7:49 PM
Nice additions to your shop, Chris! You'll really enjoy working with these machines.

Bruce Page
01-15-2006, 8:39 PM
Wow! That's a heck of a deal!
Congrats!!

Russ Massery
01-15-2006, 8:56 PM
Be sure and give us an update after you get settled in with them,Congrats!

Frank Pellow
01-15-2006, 9:01 PM
Chris said very little about these machines, so I had to do a bit of checking. For those of you who are wondering about the machine in the first picture, it is a is a Robland X-31 Combo Machine.

Now that I know what it is :) , congratulations Chris!

Chris Barton
01-15-2006, 9:49 PM
Chris,

Welcome to the X31 and Laguna band saw experience. I have a new X31 and LT18HD. The picture of the X31 you have posted shows the machine without the jointer beds. Were they included with the machine? Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

tod evans
01-16-2006, 6:49 AM
nice score chris!

Chris Fite
01-17-2006, 12:19 AM
The X31 had been disassembled for moving. We removed the jointer beds, the sliding table, and the rail assembly. I had unpacked everything and made sure that no moisture had found its way through the packaging. It snowed ferociously for part of the return trip. The few spots of moisture were dried, buffed, and waxed. I took the photographs after I had all unpacked and dried.

Although we fretted about loading the X31 for shipping, getting the bandsaw into the bed of my F-150 was a bigger challenge. We had to lift it into the bed. It is heavy.

I had not counted on getting the bandsaw. He mentioned that he had one for sale during the discussions about the X31. I told him I was looking for a bandsaw, but much further down the road. It was too good to pass up. Plenty of capacity, 3 hp motor, good quality.

In retrospective, the X31 could have been moved with all the parts locked down. Using the mobility kit, we rolled it up the ramp into the trailer and strapped it down.

There is no manual as such for this machine. The book that the owner had has little information in it. I figured out how to align the jointer tables from studying the machine and a parts diagram.

I spent some time trying it out to adapt my work methods from the Delta tablesaw. It is a big change in the way work is done.

I am going to have to rearrange the dust collection duct work to accommodate the ports on the X31.

All in all, I am looking forward to becoming familiar with the machine. It sure was nice to face joint a 2x12.