PDA

View Full Version : So... what's good in San Diego?

Art Mulder
01-15-2006, 6:47 PM
Hey Folks,

I'll be in San Diego in early March for a computer conference, and I'll have about a day to myself at the end of the conference.

I'm already planning to visit the USS Midway -- I've never every seen an aircraft carrier up close. But I'd welcome other suggestions of interesting things to see or do. Preferably close to the waterfront, as that is where my hotel will be.

(I've already been to the San Diego zoo about 3-4 years back. Yes, it is good, but "been there, done that")

...art

Mike Hollingsworth
01-15-2006, 7:04 PM
check out Tropical Exotic Hardwoods of Latin America in Carlsbad
http://www.anexotichardwood.com/

John Shuk
01-15-2006, 7:29 PM
Well my dad lives there. I bet you are looking for something a little different than that though. Balboa park is a great place to spend an afternoon or a whole day. It is one of the great municipal parks in the world. I think it is a close rival to Central Park in NYC. In the park there is a little store run by a group of turners and carvers that sells... what else? Turnings and carvings. You might also want to make a trip to La Jolla and check out The La Jolla Cove. You really can't miss it and it is stunning. I'm sure you'll take in a sunset or two as well. Enjoy the trip.
John

Mark Singer
01-15-2006, 9:35 PM
Oceanside Museum....the Salk Institute

Jim Benante
01-16-2006, 2:08 AM
Little Italy is good for food. Trattoria Fantastica is excellent. You can't miss it of you drive the main drag through Little Italy.

Art Mulder
01-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Little Italy is good for food. Trattoria Fantastica is excellent. You can't miss it of you drive the main drag through Little Italy.

Thanks, Jim, and everyone else. Little Italy looks walkable -- I'll be on West Broadway, which is about 4-5 blocks south, based on the map.

The oceanside museum, as well as the hardwood place look great, but they're 30 miles up the coast. I should also check out what I can see by taking the tramway.

best,
...art

Tyler Howell
01-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Hotel Del Coranada,
Great food, fabulos WW. Great old land mark filled with history.
A must see.http://images.travelnow.com/hotels/SAN_DELC-exter-2.jpg

Dave Richards
01-16-2006, 8:46 PM
If you go to Balboa Park take a look at the Marston House on the northwest corner of the park. Looks like a great house for looking at woodwork. Lots of arts and Crafts furniture and decor. It was built in 1905.

If you go north along the west side of the park on 6th Ave, turn right on Upas Street go one block (past a tall condo building) and take a right. It'll be the first house on the right. It's only open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, though. (32°44'29.97"N, 117°09'28.47"W on Google Earth)

There's also Cabrillo Nat'l Monument and the seals at La Jolla Cove.

Tim Morton
01-16-2006, 9:17 PM
you MUST stop into any "roberto's" for me and grab a carne asada burrito...OMG i so miss those. Also maybe a fish taco's from "rubio's".

Andy Hoyt
01-16-2006, 9:35 PM
If you like model railroading check out the local club's exhibit in Balboa Park.