PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo Hollow Form

Keith Burns
01-15-2006, 6:47 PM
I found a chunk of Cocobolo in my shop today and said to myself "what the heck, give it a spin". I ended up with a HF. Please excuse to photography as I have trouble with things of this size. Thanks for looking and as always your critiques are welcome. (1" dia. x 3/4" tall)

Dick Parr
01-15-2006, 6:56 PM
You are really getting those mini's down Keith. Great job and I like cocobolo in any size:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-15-2006, 7:06 PM
Good lookin' Mini Pot, Keith.

Cocobloc's one of my favorite woods to turn................Big or small.

Bruce

Peter Dougenik
01-15-2006, 7:20 PM
very cool HF! how big was the original piece of wood? and nice lighting on the photos. you might try backing up and zooming in and/or using your cameras macro mode if it has one, it looks like you're too close for your cameras min focusing distance....once you get back in focusing range the AF should have no problem locking on with that much contrast between the subject and background!

Michael Stafford
01-15-2006, 7:22 PM
Now that is just plain excellent. There is no other word for it. It doesn't need any adjectives or adverbs. It is just excellent!:D

There is one slight problem, it is not in my collection.:p ;)

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2006, 7:23 PM
Thats a beautiful pot Keith. Great work.

Andy Hoyt
01-15-2006, 7:30 PM
Jeez! You and Stevener are gonna put the lumber barons out of business!

Cool!

Dennis Peacock
01-15-2006, 7:37 PM
Most Excellent Keith!!!! I really like the form you put on this one. Well done and another beautiful piece!!!! Thanks for sharing the pics. Very nice!!!!!:D

Travis Stinson
01-15-2006, 7:43 PM
Now that's just super Keith!:cool:
Be careful......hope you don't plug up your vacuum system with these minis.;)

Jim Becker
01-15-2006, 8:14 PM
Beautiful form, Keith. Cocobolo is very nice to turn as it polishes up wonderfully, too. (Some folks are sensitive to it...as well as to many of the other members of the rosewood family--take care when sanding)

Gary Max
01-15-2006, 8:23 PM
I like the detail you have on the top lip.
Outstanding craftsmanship

Jim Ketron
01-15-2006, 8:44 PM
Beautiful Keith!
You do some awesome work!
Keep-em coming

Bob Noles
01-15-2006, 8:53 PM
Keith,

That would look good even in size XXL :cool:

Some beautiful work again by you. Thanks for sharing.

Kent Parker
01-15-2006, 9:32 PM
Beautiful shape Keith!! Always one of my favorite woods.

Cheers,

Kent

Corey Hallagan
01-15-2006, 9:38 PM
Wow, that is sweet. I love cocobolo! Nice work.

Corey

Bill Stevener
01-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Wow Keith, how did I miss your post, they are rolling on by like the frames in an old 35mm movie. Great little mini, it's nice when you can see the grain in the wood.
Very, very nice,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jeremiah Jordan
01-16-2006, 11:52 AM
(Some folks are sensitive to it...as well as to many of the other members of the rosewood family--take care when sanding)

Nice work Keith. I always get a cold after turning cocobolo...and that is just a pen. I think if i was doing a bowl or an HF that might knock me out for a week.

Jeremiah

John Hart
01-16-2006, 1:01 PM
Very cool Keith!!!! Especially that "I think I'll give it whirl" technique!!!!:)

So tell me kind sir, what's the wall thickness? Are you able to acheive an even wall at that size?

Keith Burns
01-16-2006, 6:42 PM
Very cool Keith!!!! Especially that "I think I'll give it whirl" technique!!!!:)

So tell me kind sir, what's the wall thickness? Are you able to acheive an even wall at that size?

Wish I could tell you but I don't have any tool to measure it with. I have gone thrue the bottoms and walls on a couple of them. It's just a guess for me. I'm sure Bill has a devise though:D . I did use some carving tool as Bill suggested and made a hollowing tool to undercut, worked pretty good except I'm not a tool maker:)

Ernie Nyvall
01-16-2006, 8:52 PM
Really nice Keith. I like everything abou it.

Ernie

Bill Stevener
01-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Wish I could tell you but I don't have any tool to measure it with. I have gone thrue the bottoms and walls on a couple of them. It's just a guess for me. I'm sure Bill has a devise though:D . I did use some carving tool as Bill suggested and made a hollowing tool to undercut, worked pretty good except I'm not a tool maker:)

Hi Keith,
Just knew I was saving this for something, I don't have any tool small enough to gauge the wall of the HF eather. I guess if I futzed enough, something would come up.
In a previous post I noted the small turnings begin to sing in a high pitch when the wall is getting thin. Well this one eather did not sing loud enough, or I am going tone deaf.:eek: I do get them quite thin though.

Just posting the bad with the almost good.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
01-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Bill/Keith - Would the wire measuring trick work? Or are these things just too small.

Bill Stevener
01-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Don't know Andy, may be worth a try, have always just guesstimated it. Looks like this one out guesstimated me. Think I just got a bit over confident.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Keith Burns
01-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Bill, been there, done that. I think the sound is a good indication, most of the time. I think when we try to measure the walls on these small things, perhaps we've gone totally bonkers. The material has a lot to do with it as well. I know the small yellowheart bowl I sent to mark was translucent. If you hold it up to a lite it would shine thru. On the other hand I tried an aspen piece and at about 1/8" thick it would blow apart. I'll try to post it as it was interesting.

Mark Cothren
01-17-2006, 8:27 AM
That's a great one, Keith. Love the look of Cocabola. I haven't turned any, but I've blown a few ducks calls made from it. Looks like you handled the wood very well.

Thank for the pictures!