PDA

View Full Version : Tables need parts

Bobby Hatfield
07-18-2003, 2:46 PM
Here are some of the parts for a table job started here in the middle of a very hot and humid summer, working only in the early morning coolness, such as it is. A new help at the shop is a welcome too, pic's and commentary on weekend doings post, finished the table legs and now its on to finish glueing up the top. This pic is of some of the parts, 1/2"x1-1/2"x3" oak loose tenons, 4"x1-1/4" apron, 4" square top leg. Now its assembley time.

Lee Schierer
07-18-2003, 2:49 PM
Maybe it is me, but the loose tenons appear to be round on the sides and the holes, well the holes aren't. Is this intentional or are we not see ing the step where you square the sides of th loose tenons?

Bobby Hatfield
07-18-2003, 2:57 PM
Maybe it is me, but the loose tenons appear to be round on the sides and the holes, well the holes aren't. Is this intentional or are we not see ing the step where you square the sides of th loose tenons?

Lee the edge is rounded to fit the rounded mortice in the apron, they will be glued, doweled and draw bolted on the back side so a bunch of roughneck boys at a summer cabin wont have a chance of breaking it whatever thay do. I should have setup the legs on the horiz morticer too, but in a hurry with vertical already set up.

Lee Schierer
07-18-2003, 3:26 PM
Use one of those legs to change their attitude!

David Rose
07-18-2003, 7:47 PM
Oh boy, oh boy! Do I ever see a sale of an FMT jig in your future! If Dave Arbuckle can sell them without commission I can too.

David

Bobby Hatfield
07-18-2003, 8:05 PM
Oh boy, oh boy! Do I ever see a sale of an FMT jig in your future! If Dave Arbuckle can sell them without commission I can too.

David

Got two machines and I still can't make a decent looking mortice, of course if it is hidden and glued in and no one will ever see it again in my lifetime, and it does the job, mach, nix. Are you going to bring your FMT over to Terry's ? I would like to see that thing in action.

Todd Burch
07-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Hey Bobby - nice looking table parts there.

(BTW, 2 years of high school German - "machts nichts")

Todd.

David Rose
07-19-2003, 12:13 AM
Hey, if they work...

Oh, yeah! I'm bringing the FMT to Terry's. I think Bob Lasley is coming handcuffed to 2 rough women if I remember the story. :D I'm expecting you to wear out a bit or two on mortises and tenons. I plan to prepare some 3/4" wood for standard single tenons/mortises. If you want to see anything else, wood needs to be prepared for it. Terry will be too busy chasing Bob and Ken and wild rough women to help. If you know what dimensions or types of joints you want to see let me know.

David

Got two machines and I still can't make a decent looking mortice, of course if it is hidden and glued in and no one will ever see it again in my lifetime, and it does the job, mach, nix. Are you going to bring your FMT over to Terry's ? I would like to see that thing in action.

Bobby Hatfield
07-21-2003, 12:12 PM

Lee, the round edge tenon is tighter fit, and will be a better job on a couple legs. Changed over part hold down and its faster than vertical morticer on these mortices.

John Miliunas
07-21-2003, 1:36 PM
Hey Bobby, what's that Rotek doing in that Grizzly showroom? Happy camper with all the "green"? :cool:

Dave Arbuckle
07-21-2003, 2:06 PM
Oh, yeah! I'm bringing the FMT to Terry's.

David, if you really want to wow the crowd, get someone else to bring the aprons and legs for a table, mill it while they wait. Get someone to run a stopwatch. ;) Took me an unhurried 15 minutes, jaws were scraping the ground.

Dave

Bobby Hatfield
07-21-2003, 2:20 PM
Hey Bobby, what's that Rotek doing in that Grizzly showroom? Happy camper with all the "green"? :cool:J

John you heard about cheap ? Thats me. I want one made by (Felder) I think, that the cutter and drive do the moving but its big bucks. I would be happy with some cooler drier weather to work in.

David Rose
07-21-2003, 6:10 PM
That's a great idea, Dave! Actual work is always more impressive than just test cuts. I can do a test cut or two first so that someone will know their parts won't be ruined since several there won't know the quality of my work.

Hey! My jaw still scrapes the ground when I use this thing! Any tool that simple to set up, repeatable, accurate and fast needs to be publicised IMO.

David

David, if you really want to wow the crowd, get someone else to bring the aprons and legs for a table, mill it while they wait. Get someone to run a stopwatch. ;) Took me an unhurried 15 minutes, jaws were scraping the ground.

Dave