PDA

View Full Version : Moving Plywood

John Lifer
11-24-2021, 1:08 PM
Ok, so having debated buying track saw to cut up MDF and plywood sheets, I've altered my thoughts back to moving the sheets around. Even with track saw this would be necessary.
So anyone have experience with any sheet movers, i.e. Rockler material mate, or Bora Portamate, or any other mover/tilter.
I would Slide off sheet out of Pickup and then roll to tablesaw. The cuts are initially a 8 ft rip. Which makes for fun....

Bora Portamate looks interesting, but wheels are in line and I think would be difficult to get sheet and holder placed properly. I do have small incline at entrance to shop and an 1 inch entrance height to get over. Rockler looks better, but as with their stuff, over 3 times the cost of the Bora.
Ideas? or other suggestions. It's only me, so no use saying get help. Ain't none coming.

Bradley Gray
11-24-2021, 1:18 PM
Google "Crazy horse dolly"

Roger Feeley
11-24-2021, 1:43 PM
The guys at my local woodcraft have a little dolly that is just a u-shape about 5” high and maybe 5” long with in-line skate wheels. If I didn’t have stairs to negotiate, I would make one of those.

then to get from vertical to horizontal, somebody makes this hinged hook that goes on the left side of the saw.

I love the crazy horse but I don’t have the floor space. If I was going to do that dolly, I would modify it so it folds flat.

Frank Pratt
11-24-2021, 1:51 PM
The guys at my local woodcraft have a little dolly that is just a u-shape about 5” high and maybe 5” long with in-line skate wheels. .

I made one of those using a pair of 4" casters. Works great. The crazy horse would be wonderful, but it's a huge space hog to store & use.

Paul F Franklin
11-24-2021, 1:57 PM
I have the portamate panel carrier. Your concern about the inline wheels is justified; I find it very cumbersome to negotiate the turns in my workshop. And it requires essentially a 4x8 space (more, actually, to allow for the operator) in front of whatever you are loading the sheet onto...table saw, workbench, whatever.

I think it would be fine if you have a wide open shop with lots of clearance to move and position; not sure I know anyone like that. I've gone back to breaking down sheets in my garage with the tracksaw, where I can pull them right off the truck or trailer onto a temporary cutting table. The portamate sits in the corner for now, until I get around to peddling it.

Tom Bain
11-24-2021, 2:00 PM
I have the rockler thing ... overall it's fine and doesn't take up a ton of space. My two minor gripes is it's pretty much only 1 sheet at a time which may or may not be an issue for you, and the locking handle is hard to access if you need to put a sheet in the vertical position after it's already secured in the horizontal ... something I do often when moving the sheets into my storage rack.

Alex Zeller
11-24-2021, 2:04 PM
Look up "glass dolly" for an idea. Buying one wouldn't be cheap but making one would be easy. They have one large set of wheels to handle the load and a small caster on each end that are slightly higher. In the channel is rubber so the glass or wood doesn't slide. Most of the ones I've seen are made from wood but I have seen some made from aluminum. One with larger wheels like I pictured, would roll across a gravel driveway.

Kevin Jenness
11-24-2021, 2:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Larry Lee stopped selling his crazy horse dolly as it was unprofitable- too bad. If they are still available I would like to know.

James Cheever
11-24-2021, 2:13 PM
I use the Festool STM 1800 Saw Table / Work Bench to move and cut down full plywood sheets. It tilts and the wheels lock so you can easily load it / unload it.

When not in use it folds up and rolls away into a very storable, compact package.

ChrisA Edwards
11-24-2021, 2:14 PM
This simple solution looks promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpNfAlHmSL8

Thomas Wilson
11-24-2021, 2:40 PM
I use a Troll 49D panel handler. https://www.amazon.com/Telpro-Troll-300-Pound-Capacity-Handler/dp/B0000224PA/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=CjwKCAiA4veMBhAMEiwAU4XRr73r2fbJq dTWxDJ6iTM2uhnRWqS0aNuGs3-IFwrpTKmMNkGkJYSTYhoCMlQQAvD_BwE&hvadid=380319441752&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1026042&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=7582051958336481064&hvtargid=kwd-299200177655&hydadcr=7665_9903442&keywords=the%2Btroll%2Bpanel%2Bhandler&qid=1637782155&sr=8-3&th=1

Here is Janicewhokeepsmehumble (she is also known as MebrudderSylvesswiddashiponhischess when she helps me move heavy things) helping me move 5/8” 4’x12’ Sheetrock panels using the Troll. We moved 20 sheets, 2 at a time. Impressive Mrs. J.

The Troll is small and maneuverable. The handle helps to lift sheets over obstacles like thresholds.

Phillip Mitchell
11-24-2021, 2:52 PM
This may not work for your space, but my shop is small without much wide open floor space and has low ceilings so me trying to lift and carry a sheet on edge is extremely uncomfortable and dangerous to my body...I store my plywood vertically, with the 8’ side parallel with the floor on top of stickers and shimmed and clamped so that it stays flat. This is because of lack of space and not because I think it’s better. When I need a sheet, I can slide it out from one end (if it’s not the one at the front) and I use a basic harbor freight furniture dolly (4 casters and some crisscrossed 1x4s lined with carpet on top.) I center it along the long side of the panel right beside it and lift one end first onto the dolly, then the other and the simply balance it and wheel it around the shop either to the sliding saw or to my scissor lift assembly table. I have it positioned low enough to simply pivot it up on the table without having to actually lift the full sheet ever in the process and make my track saw cuts there. The carpet on top of the dolly provides some non slip as well as does no damage to even prefinished panels.

May not work for you as every shop and space is different but wheels are you friend and adjustable height work surfaces are worth their weight in gold especially when dealing with large sheet goods often.

Phillip Mitchell
11-24-2021, 2:56 PM
Meant to ask - are you storing quantities of sheet stock and typically always have an inventory of some kind sitting around or do you typically cut and process it as it comes off the truck? If yes to the first one, how do you currently store your sheet goods as this will make a difference as to how you could efficiently and safely move them. Sounds like from the OP that you are processing right off the truck, which is of course simpler and easier and could be solved with a rolling cutting table that could be used as an assembly table when not unloading sheets, but obviously have to have the space for it to live in the shop.

I don’t have that kind of space in my shop and try to keep a small inventory (8 sheets or less typically on hand)

John Lifer
11-24-2021, 4:16 PM
Thanks for the comments.
One sheet at a time, off truck and cut. Same day. I don't store sheets of any size as I have stupid 8ft ceilings which rules out storing vertically. The issue with the skate wheels or any other just mover, is I have to navigate into a less than 7 foot door, So even at 5'8", I have to hunker down when I carry a sheet horizontally into the shop. And If I just roll it in, 4 inches off the floor, I have to lift it horizontally. Just a REAL pain in the back. Sounds like the Porta in line is on sale for $90 for a reason..... Doesn't work. Rockler table might be worthwhile, but $330 is steep (taxes in there) And yes, they have a $50 gift card for thinks I don't need this week.

I Might try and make up a design.... I really don't need to tilt the sheet if I slide out of truck bed....
Thanks

Kevin Jenness
11-24-2021, 4:42 PM
We used to use a couple of panel lift devices at another shop like this https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Lift-Plywood-Sheetrock-Carrier/dp/B075BRWK7C/ref=asc_df_B075BRWK7C?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80745437135023&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345016187369&psc=1 and this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MW5M1YX/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=ed88f1c3caff7d58277f0dcaa0027fa3&hsa_cr_id=4448205820101&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=ce4e4f50-684b-4ee7-a7fb-788acabbd964&pd_rd_w=vt5TT&pd_rd_wg=mDxYG&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_0_img&th=1 You have to carry the weight but thresholds and crap on the floor are not an issue.

Phillip Mitchell
11-24-2021, 4:43 PM
How wide is your door? Can you back your truck up into the shop / just outside the door and keep the plywood horizontal the entire time? Do you have space to have another table on wheels that is meant for sliding sheets out of truck bed right onto said table and processing further?

Kyle Iwamoto
11-24-2021, 5:29 PM
I use the Home Depot (Stanley) plywood carrier. 8 bucks.
Since you're doing 1 at a time, that's what I do and that's what I use. I feel that you eventually have to lift the ply on to your saw at some point in time, you can carry it the short distance from truck bed to saw. With that cheeap carrier I can do it alone...... That also makes it easier to get the panel on the saw. Assuming you have it in the center of the ply when moving it. It's already balanced and not that hard to get on the saw.

Lisa Starr
11-24-2021, 6:13 PM
I have a portable cut table. Slide the sheet off the truck onto the table. Make initial cuts with track saw and then move the pieces inside. I'm an "old woman" and have reached the point I do things the easy way rather than the quickest way.

Mark Katz
11-24-2021, 6:24 PM
I use the Festool STM 1800 Saw Table / Work Bench to move and cut down full plywood sheets. It tilts and the wheels lock so you can easily load it / unload it.

When not in use it folds up and rolls away into a very storable, compact package.

Even though it's expensive and hard to find (limited quantities were manufactured), I think this - with a track saw - is the best approach. If I hadn't already built my own cutting grid and bought some folding sawhorses, I would have jumped at this when it first came out.

Doug Colombo
11-24-2021, 7:04 PM
We used to use a couple of panel lift devices at another shop like this https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Lift-Plywood-Sheetrock-Carrier/dp/B075BRWK7C/ref=asc_df_B075BRWK7C?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80745437135023&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345016187369&psc=1 and this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MW5M1YX/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=ed88f1c3caff7d58277f0dcaa0027fa3&hsa_cr_id=4448205820101&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=ce4e4f50-684b-4ee7-a7fb-788acabbd964&pd_rd_w=vt5TT&pd_rd_wg=mDxYG&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_0_img&th=1 You have to carry the weight but thresholds and crap on the floor are not an issue.

+1 I have one and it works great.

Pat Rice
11-24-2021, 9:32 PM
It is not an inexpensive option but the Felder FAT 300 hydraulic lift table has been a fantastic option for my shop. Not only do I use it to haul plywood and lift it up to put on my saw but it is a great work surface/assembly table that allows you to raise and lower the work piece for sanding, cutting assembly etc., rather than trying to adapt your body. It will handle 600 lbs and it has been very beneficial to me being able to load and unload things from my truck.

Mike King
11-24-2021, 10:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Larry Lee stopped selling his crazy horse dolly as it was unprofitable- too bad. If they are still available I would like to know.
Paging @Joe Calhoon to the white phone -- someone else took over and is making the crazy horse dolly -- maybe at this link? https://westoakstudios.com/events/crazy-horse-dolly/

Bradley Gray
11-25-2021, 12:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUPkcbb2hAI (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUPkcbb2hAI)

Dan Rude
11-25-2021, 3:46 AM
I have used several options. if it is mainly an even one floor area FastCap speed skate works great. Small and compact. Not great for Stairs though. Gorilla Grip, works well, but you can loose the grip if you lower it. My favorite though is the Drywall hook carrier Plywood Panel Carrier W Handle tool supplies hd heavy duty, handle is longer and offset I got mine from Lee Valley Tools. There is also the Grabro Portable Vacuum Lifter which is promoted by Izzy Swan on his site. Dan

Alan Lightstone
11-25-2021, 7:41 AM
The Bora Portamate fell apart on me almost immediately and was tossed. Waste of money in my book.

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2021, 7:57 AM
One sheet at a time, off truck and cut. My solution to that was to replace my Festool TS55EQ track saw with a Makita cordless.
Now I just cut the sheet goods to size in the parking lot where I buy it.

I made a flat work surface - a simple torsion box design - lightweight but strong. It's made of 1x3s & skinned with pegboard. It's 5' long and 2.5' wide.
I drilled holes in the four corners to accept these Veritas Platform Saddles (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/workshop/workbenches/work-surfaces/75861-veritas-platform-saddles?item=05H4101).

I set the work surface on a pair of plastic saw horses, stick the saddles in the holes & 1X boards (or 2X) and just slide the plywood off the store's lumber cart and cut it right there at the store.

On the rare occasions I need to deal with full sheets, I made a rolling lumber cart from plans I got online that I can wheel out into the driveway and just load it up and roll it into the garage.

10 years ago, I just grabbed a sheet, slid it out of the back of the van & stuck a drywall carrier under it and muscled it into the garage.
15 years ago, I just did the same - but - without using a drywall carrier.

As I've gotten older - I've become more creative about this.

Jim Becker
11-25-2021, 9:14 AM
Do you draw crowds and sell tickets for that track saw demonstration in the parking lot, Rich? :) :D (Seriously, that's an interesting idea to cut it down at the source)

Curt Harms
11-25-2021, 9:37 AM
Look up "glass dolly" for an idea. Buying one wouldn't be cheap but making one would be easy. They have one large set of wheels to handle the load and a small caster on each end that are slightly higher. In the channel is rubber so the glass or wood doesn't slide. Most of the ones I've seen are made from wood but I have seen some made from aluminum. One with larger wheels like I pictured, would roll across a gravel driveway.

I made something similar to move solid surface slabs. Just angle iron welded into a U shape and a couple stub axles welded on. I had a couple kids' bicycle wheels to go on the stub axles. Worked like a champ. When I've had to deal with plywood I just put it down on the driveway on pink foam strips. Cut it with a guided saw. Trying to manhandle 4 X 8 sheets of plywood into a basement shop seems silly.

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2021, 10:22 AM
Do you draw crowds and sell tickets for that track saw demonstration in the parking lot, Rich? :D
Thankfully - not yet....
99% of the time I do this it's at Menards & they don't carry Makita.
I am afraid one of these days a manager will confront me over this.

Home Depot carries Makita - but - they have pretty ugly plywood. Maybe if I offered to demonstrate a track saw HD would agree to carry better stuff?

Cliff Polubinsky
11-25-2021, 12:05 PM
I used the Bora Portamate for years and I found it awkward at times. Picked up the panel cart from Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-panel-cart-woodriver and it's much better. Pricey but very stable and rolls easily.

Cliff

Richard Mellor
11-25-2021, 12:18 PM
John, my situation is very similar to yours and I started with the Bora Portamate, which is very awkward to use. I got the Rockler material mate and love it. I move material from my truck, up a small ramp, over the door threshold and into the shop. Its easy to use, and is well made, and a bargain for what it does. Lifting sheets of ply or mdf by yourself through a regular door way is asking for back problems. I use mine everyday and consider it a essential part of my shop.
I was just on Rocklers site and saw they have a $50 rewards card offer with it.

Jim Dwight
11-25-2021, 6:28 PM
I have cut things in the parking lot before but I don't do it any more, since I got a pickup and can easily haul full sheets. What I normally do is park the truck and carry the sheets inside and flop them down on my outfeed/assembly/track saw cutting table. I put a sheet of 1 inch foam on top to avoid cutting up the table surface. I think a smarter way to do it is to back up the garage door near the cutting table and just slide the sheet(s) onto the table and cut them with the track saw.

If I could not do this, I have a few plastic tables, the kind that fold up and say they seat 6. Maybe 5 feet by 3 feet. With a piece of foam on top, this should be a barely adequate cutting station (my table is 7x3). I would slide the sheets out of the truck onto the table and cut it up.

I do not cut full sheets on the table saw in my shop. I just do not have the space. It is easier and safer and just as accurate to use my track saw. I think they are a great back saving option. You have to learn to use them, like any new tool, but I am firmly convinced it is worth it. I bought one for my church for about $250 getting an Evolution saw, two PowerTec clamps and two 50 inch Wen rails. With a 7.25 inch 60 tooth Freud blade it makes great cuts. It is not as nice as my DeWalt but it cost less than half as much and is a better option for a lot of people who want or need to spend less.

David Buchhauser
11-26-2021, 2:44 AM
I have found this little skate very useful for moving sheets of sheet metal and plywood around the shop.
David

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEJ8YFS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Derek Meyer
12-02-2021, 6:14 PM
Do you draw crowds and sell tickets for that track saw demonstration in the parking lot, Rich? :) :D (Seriously, that's an interesting idea to cut it down at the source)

I bought a sheet of prefinised plywood at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago to use as a shelf. I had to cut it down to fit in my SUV (Ford Edge) so I hauled my Kreg Mobile Project Center, cordless saw and a couple of clamps down with me. I set up under the canopy next to the contractor's entrance (it was raining the day) and cut the sheet in to four 2' x 4' pieces. I had a few people watching with interest as I set up and cut, but no one asked any questions. The HD employee who helped me lay the sheet of plywood on the bench commented that this was a great idea. It worked well, and since I'm using the wood for shelves, I'll re-cut the edges to be perfectly straight anyway. It saved trying to beg/borrow/rent a pickup truck for the 80 mile round-trip drive.

Michael Schuch
12-02-2021, 7:25 PM
It is not an inexpensive option but the Felder FAT 300 hydraulic lift table has been a fantastic option for my shop. Not only do I use it to haul plywood and lift it up to put on my saw but it is a great work surface/assembly table that allows you to raise and lower the work piece for sanding, cutting assembly etc., rather than trying to adapt your body. It will handle 600 lbs and it has been very beneficial to me being able to load and unload things from my truck.

It appears that there is a foot pedal on the left side of the cart as it is pictured. I assume this is a foot pump for raising the table? If so does this get covered when the table is all the way down and you have a 4x8 sheet on the table?

Pat Rice
12-02-2021, 11:50 PM
The foot pedal does get covered, but it is easy enough to slide the 4x8 sheet forward enough on the table to gain access to the pedal. The Felder FAT 300S model has foot pedals on each side to allow easier access when you have a 4x8 sheet loaded.

Michael Schuch
12-03-2021, 2:04 AM
The foot pedal does get covered, but it is easy enough to slide the 4x8 sheet forward enough on the table to gain access to the pedal. The Felder FAT 300S model has foot pedals on each side to allow easier access when you have a 4x8 sheet loaded.

Thank you. I like the idea of the lift table but this concerned me. There was a nice hydraulic scissor lift table on CL for $300 a week ago and I passed on it due to the whole handle pumped to raise the table like a pallet jack. Seemed like it would be even more of a problem than the foot pump.

Mike Stelts
12-03-2021, 9:10 AM
If your daughter's boyfriend is a framer, you'd be surprised how easy it is to move plywood. My job is to stay out of the way. Trying to help slows things down. Admittedly, he slows down with 3/4" MDF.

Jim Becker
12-03-2021, 9:12 AM
If your daughter's boyfriend is a framer, you'd be surprised how easy it is to move plywood. My job is to stay out of the way. Trying to help slows things down. Admittedly, he slows down with 3/4" MDF.
LOL...I haven't used that kind of service for plywood, but daughter's SO is who I call when I do need help with something at this point. It's a good technique :D :D :D

Jim Dwight
12-03-2021, 10:01 AM
I picked up a sheet of 3/4 BCX for a navity decoration I have almost finished. I hauled it inside the way I normally do and threw it down on my outfeed/accessory table to cut up. But it was heavy. I am getting closer to setting up a table or sawhorses or something in the driveway and just sliding the sheet out onto those to cut it up. I do not use that may sheets of plywood any more but that's probably a good thing.

Edwin Santos
12-03-2021, 10:18 AM

+1 on this. I got one of the last Crazy Horse dollies from Larry before he called it quits.
That thing has given me a new lease on life. Just brilliant how easily hit handles materials with control. Besides sheet goods, I have stacked 8/4 lumber and used it to maneuver through the shop without injury or exertion.

There is a place called West Oak Studios somewhere in SoCal that does workshops where you can make a Crazy Horse Dolly. It wouldn't be hard to make one yourself frankly. You might have to get creative in making the head/top. The 1" speed nut comes from a well known vendor of drywall handling products, I can't think of their name right now.

Cliff Polubinsky
12-03-2021, 11:01 AM
I bought a sheet of prefinised plywood at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago to use as a shelf. I had to cut it down to fit in my SUV (Ford Edge)

Derek,

I have a Ford Edge. A 4 x 8 sheet fits in the back if you slide it in diagonally.

Cliff

Joe Calhoon
12-03-2021, 3:27 PM
+1 on this. I got one of the last Crazy Horse dollies from Larry before he called it quits.
That thing has given me a new lease on life. Just brilliant how easily hit handles materials with control. Besides sheet goods, I have stacked 8/4 lumber and used it to maneuver through the shop without injury or exertion.

There is a place called West Oak Studios somewhere in SoCal that does workshops where you can make a Crazy Horse Dolly. It wouldn't be hard to make one yourself frankly. You might have to get creative in making the head/top. The 1" speed nut comes from a well known vendor of drywall handling products, I can't think of their name right now.

Michael at West Oak took over the Crazy Horse from Larry. He has made a couple improvements to the dolly and cuts the ply parts on his CNC. Not sure if he will supply the metal parts or plans but his price seems reasonable. I got the last aluminum horse from Larry and Michael left one of his at my shop to demo in our shaper and door making workshops. I have no affiliation with his business nor sell these. I just think they are a great product.

Kevin Jenness
12-03-2021, 4:29 PM
I'm glad to hear the crazy horse is still alive. It cut the wear and tear on my back in half. I would highly recommend it to anyone who works with large panels and has room for it (enough space to jockey a flat panel around on swivel casters).

Bradley Gray
12-04-2021, 7:29 AM
I got one of the last kits from Larry. I am still finding new uses.

No better way to go from truck to saw.

Makes a great "tail man" when ripping long, wide, heavy stuff.

Joe Calhoon
12-04-2021, 8:01 AM
Working solo now I don’t know what I would do without it. Don’t use many sheet goods but have moved a lot of heavy doors and timber with it. Larry came up with a wing nut with a built in washer to replace the oversized nut for height adjust. Much better, I would recommend getting one of these from Michael if you have the old system.

Bradley Gray
12-04-2021, 8:18 AM
I work alone now too. It is amazing how easily and precisely it moves. I've used it to rip heavy doors - easy to keep the work against the fence without supporting the weight.

I will look into the wing nut. That is the weakest part.

Jim Becker
12-04-2021, 9:44 AM
When the time comes that I have a new shop building I'm actually hoping to have the space setup that I can use a "Crazy Horse" type solution for moving heavy sheets around as they are difficult for me to maneuver at this point. I don't use much sheet stock, but there are "those times" when having the rolling, helping hand would be, well...handy... :)

Edwin Santos
12-04-2021, 2:16 PM
When the time comes that I have a new shop building I'm actually hoping to have the space setup that I can use a "Crazy Horse" type solution for moving heavy sheets around as they are difficult for me to maneuver at this point. I don't use much sheet stock, but there are "those times" when having the rolling, helping hand would be, well...handy... :)

My Crazy Horse came in surprisingly handy for managing 8/4 boards. Boy, try lifting a 10' 8/4 piece of hard maple and like inflation, you'll find they've just become way heavier than they were 20 years ago.
With the CH you can stack two or three such boards onto the neoprene head and maneuver them like a marksman to your bench or work stands, pivot around and lay your side down where you want. Also, if you use the dolly like an A frame carrier, you can move sheets past a car while still parked in the garage as long as you have the width of the dolly itself 24" or so.

Edwin Santos
12-04-2021, 2:19 PM
I got one of the last kits from Larry. I am still finding new uses.

No better way to go from truck to saw.

Makes a great "tail man" when ripping long, wide, heavy stuff.

I've thought about making an accessory head with roller balls to use as an outfeed stand at the bandsaw or table saw, with the dolly casters locked.

Jim Becker
12-04-2021, 6:10 PM
My Crazy Horse came in surprisingly handy for managing 8/4 boards. Boy, try lifting a 10' 8/4 piece of hard maple and like inflation, you'll find they've just become way heavier than they were 20 years ago.
With the CH you can stack two or three such boards onto the neoprene head and maneuver them like a marksman to your bench or work stands, pivot around and lay your side down where you want. Also, if you use the dolly like an A frame carrier, you can move sheets past a car while still parked in the garage as long as you have the width of the dolly itself 24" or so.

That's a really good point, Ediwin. The device is generally thought of in the realm of sheet goods, but there's no reason one cannot balance something long and narrow on there, too, although it will likely tend to be less stable perpendicular to the length. You don't have the weight off to the sides like you do with a piece of sheet goods. So it just will take more care.

Edwin Santos
12-04-2021, 11:15 PM
That's a really good point, Ediwin. The device is generally thought of in the realm of sheet goods, but there's no reason one cannot balance something long and narrow on there, too, although it will likely tend to be less stable perpendicular to the length. You don't have the weight off to the sides like you do with a piece of sheet goods. So it just will take more care.

It takes no more care, and actually quite a bit less because you have much more control with long, narrow heavy boards, even stacked in multiples. Hard to explain, but if and when you get one of your own (and I hope you do), you will see what I mean.

I will always be mystified at why Larry was not able to build a market for such a clever device. His videos were very good and it looked like he was promoting it well.
Sam Blasco made a video of himself managing sheet goods using the aluminum model with his slider saw setup.

Kevin Jenness
12-05-2021, 2:30 AM
I will always be mystified at why Larry was not able to build a market for such a clever device. His videos were very good and it looked like he was promoting it well.
Sam Blasco made a video of himself managing sheet goods using the aluminum model with his slider saw setup.

My guess is he wasn't charging enough. I recall someone posting on this forum that it was too expensive. Once I had used it I found it invaluable.

Joe Calhoon
12-05-2021, 7:44 AM
Michael has kept the cost down by producing totally on his CNC. And actually the plywood model is as good as my aluminum one. It knocks down and assembles easily for shipping. To me it is one of the most cost effective tools I have bought in a long time. Working solo very handy for me. A while back on the courthouse renovation I had to mill up long lengths of 16/4 mahogany. As long as you get the ball fairly center across the width of material it’s easy to handle. Along the length can be off center a lot.

Jim Becker
12-05-2021, 8:51 AM
My guess is he wasn't charging enough. I recall someone posting on this forum that it was too expensive. Once I had used it I found it invaluable.

...that plus the time commitment and it's also relatively easy to make something like that merely from a photo like many fixtures, which in turn limits the market further from what is already a small audience. Good ideas just don't pay out sometimes...

Edwin Santos
12-05-2021, 9:41 PM

When I got mine, it was one of the last because he had already announced he was pulling the plug and wanted to offload the remaining kits. I gave him a call after I built it to compliment the product and expressed surprise that it didn't fly. He told me he had concluded the woodworkers, hobbyist and commercial alike, are a breed that will spend a dollar to save a nickel all day long.
Probably what Jim mentions was at play too. People looking at the thing and thinking hey, I could build that myself without really thinking about the cost of the parts, and time scratching your head thinking about how to replicate the non-slip dome head in something approximating the way Larry did it.

Phillip Mitchell
12-05-2021, 11:13 PM
So can you still buy one of these, even the plywood versions? I’ve looked around a bit based on info in this thread and not seeing an easy answer. I’m intrigued.

Bill Dufour
12-06-2021, 12:01 AM
Looks like a piano stool and a house jack had a baby. My house jack is used for setting upper cabinets.
Bill D.

Mike Kees
12-06-2021, 11:25 AM
This was me 30 years ago. Routinely packed 3-4 sheets of OSB at a time. On a roof we would drop down to two at a time...

Mike King
12-06-2021, 10:28 PM
So can you still buy one of these, even the plywood versions? I’ve looked around a bit based on info in this thread and not seeing an easy answer. I’m intrigued.
Joe Calhoon above has given you the answer.

Rich Engelhardt
12-07-2021, 6:52 AM
I hauled it inside the way I normally do and threw it down on my outfeed/accessory table to cut up. But it was heavy. I am getting closer to setting up a table or sawhorses or something in the driveway and just sliding the sheet out onto those to cut it up.There's a lot of really good plans for cutting tables that use folding banquet legs.
A word of caution - don't "throw" anything on one.

Our handyman like to do things his own way & despite my repeated warnings to not "throw " things, like plywood and/or drywall on my table he insists that's the only way to do it - to just lift stuff up and let it slam onto the table.

The legs themselves will support 450#/500# - but - the overall construction of the cutting table design doesn't take kindly to being slammed.

It's this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKrfjEx570

The original design is by Gary Williams from an article he wrote for FWW.

Lewis Justis
12-08-2021, 2:04 PM
This may have already been suggested, but they work very well:
https://www.shopcartsusa.com/Product-PanelHandler.html

Minh Tran
12-09-2021, 12:58 PM
Ok, so having debated buying track saw to cut up MDF and plywood sheets, I've altered my thoughts back to moving the sheets around. Even with track saw this would be necessary...Slide off sheet out of Pickup and then roll to tablesaw. The cuts are initially a 8 ft rip.

A full sheet of plywood is too unwieldy to cut accurately on a tablesaw and you often don't need the full 8' length anyway. I've invested in a track saw ($425), two connectable 4' tracks (~$100), and two track clamps ($60) and haven't looked back. Put it on a foam board ($30), set it on the floor, and cut it there. Although I haven't tried making beveled 8' rips on the track saw, the saw is accurate to use to make your final cuts.

Rob Sack
12-09-2021, 1:18 PM
I initially bought the Bora Panel Carrier. It works, but it is somewhat difficult to load in the horizontal position, it is tough to find and release the lever to put it in the vertical position, and with only two inline wheels, actually moving a sheet of plywood can be challenging. I just purchase the Rockler Material Mate. What a difference. Loading is much easier, especially with an additional mdf top, which is optional, but it makes sliding the panels much easier. The release lever to go from horizontal to vertical is much more user friendly. Maneuvering the loaded cart is much easier and more stable than the Bora. The only improvement I would make is larger brackets that hold the panels in the vertical position. By adding the optional mdf top, I can only load one panel at a time, even though the Material Mate can easily handle two panels. The brackets only needed to be 1/4 inch longer. As an added bonus, Rockler is currently offering a $50.00 gift card with the purchase of the Material Mate.

Anybody what to by a nearly new Bora Panel Carrier for $100.00?